Redcat volcano epx spur and pinion question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elarmany

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi guys , have a question regarding the volcano epx , I'm a newbie so it might be basic info to you but it's not to me, I bought a roller volcano epx and will put a brushless motor in it , all reviews advises to replace the spur and pinion as stock breaks easily ( it was made for a brushed version) , so the problem with this is that the module is .6 mod which is 48 pitch metric , my understanding is that this is not the normal 48 pitch and it limits my options , can I just simply buy another spur and pinion from any other manufacturer with normal pitch as long as the shafts of the spur and pinion are the same?
If anyone have changed this already , would really appreciate a link to the spur and pinion that can fit.
Appreciate your kind help

Pinions are standard (3.17 or 5mm shaft), spurs may differ in the mounting part. But there are upgrades specifically for your redcat, so maybe go with those. Google it. Go 32P (0.8MOD) if possible, that's nearly indestructible.

I checked, there is metal .6 mod available but I wanted to change that , there is nothing on Google , .8 mod available are for different redcat models (blackout and others) not volcano , thanks for your help in all cases

A metal pinion with a plastic spur, even 48p will hold up under the right conditions. The main things that cause spur failure is improper mesh, unstable motor mount, and debri in the mesh. But hard landings under throttle can also destroy a spur.

The first thing I would do is be sure the motor cannot flex during hard landings. Once that is sorted, buy an upgraded spur if you can. 32p is much more durable, but 48p can get you by.

Then, to get the gears meshed properly, gently snug the motor screws. Then make sure the pinion is placed on the motor shaft as perfectly inline with the spur as you can get, and use 242 Loctite on the pinion grub screw, and tighten it down. Make sure you use a good allen wrench or hex driver for this.

To set the mesh, take a strip of notebook paper and feed it between the gears. Loosen the motor screws just enough to move the motor and press the pinion tightly against the paper between the gears. Tighten the motor screws evenly, little bit on one, then a liitle on the other. Back and forth til tight. Then remove the paper. You should then be able to ever so slightly rock the spur gear without moving the pinion. Just a barely visible movement of the spur. That is proper mesh.

Thank you all so much , will try what you guys said.

Back