Redcat Lightning STK thoughts?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banjo_Z2005

RCTalk Basher
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I will hopefully be getting a Redcat lightning STK for the holidays,
Should I be prepping for anything? this will be my first 1/10th scale car!

these things are very cheap in my opinion. LINK TO IT HERE
05a408df-9841-431c-aa5c-cdd45803e845._CR0,0,970,300_PT0_SX970__.jpg

It is an extremely old platform made by HSP. There are thousands of upgrades available all across the internet. I'm not sure how well it does as an onroad car but the buggy and monster truck based on that platform are know for not being the most durable things on the planet hence the reason they are so cheap. If you want a 1/10 on road car I would honestly go with a Traxxas or Arrma.

From what I’ve heard about Redcat they can be good if your planning on running a lot upgrading to a brushless motor and esc would probably be a good idea also get a lipo you’ll thank me later and not sure how good the electronics are so you could upgrade to the Dumbo RC X6 or X4 (cheap good radio and reciver) and a BETU servo (amazon) even if you get a goolrc brushless and a Zeee lipo none of this is necessary but could benefit definitely would recommend lipo

I will hopefully be getting a Redcat lightning STK for the holidays,
Should I be prepping for anything? this will be my first 1/10th scale car!

these things are very cheap in my opinion. LINK TO IT HERE
View attachment 156771
I'm actually one of the few who like, and have owned several of these cars, and, there are some things i would do to it even before its made brushless. First, the steering bellcrank. The plastic one is weak, and will wear out fairly quickly, and then the steering gets sloppy, so, at the very least, get the Hobby Park aluminum one for the Redcat Volcano on Amazon. Just an FYI, if you look at HSP, Redcat, and Exceed RC, as long as they have that metal top chassis plate, whether it is blue, purple, or silver, they are all the same chassis. HSP, Redcat and Exceed RC all use that same chassis to make road cars, drift cars, monster trucks, truggies, stadium and short course trucks. Next, i would do rubber shielded bearings, at the very least in the hubs. After that, look on amazon for the CVD axles, as the dogbones tend to get lost easy. If and when you do go brushless, dont go overboard. The car can't handle 3S or higher at all. Typically, for these cars, i run a 3650 3300 or 3500KV cheap motor with a Hobby wing ESC. They also dont work well for huge speeds, either. 40 is about the upper end of their limit. You can get every part for them in aluminum, but, the only parts i would do are the rear hubs, steering blocks, caster blocks, suspension mounts and steering bellcrank.

I'm actually one of the few who like, and have owned several of these cars, and, there are some things i would do to it even before its made brushless. First, the steering bellcrank. The plastic one is weak, and will wear out fairly quickly, and then the steering gets sloppy, so, at the very least, get the Hobby Park aluminum one for the Redcat Volcano on Amazon. Just an FYI, if you look at HSP, Redcat, and Exceed RC, as long as they have that metal top chassis plate, whether it is blue, purple, or silver, they are all the same chassis. HSP, Redcat and Exceed RC all use that same chassis to make road cars, drift cars, monster trucks, truggies, stadium and short course trucks. Next, i would do rubber shielded bearings, at the very least in the hubs. After that, look on amazon for the CVD axles, as the dogbones tend to get lost easy. If and when you do go brushless, dont go overboard. The car can't handle 3S or higher at all. Typically, for these cars, i run a 3650 3300 or 3500KV cheap motor with a Hobby wing ESC. They also dont work well for huge speeds, either. 40 is about the upper end of their limit. You can get every part for them in aluminum, but, the only parts i would do are the rear hubs, steering blocks, caster blocks, suspension mounts and steering bellcrank.
Maverick is another rebrand of the HSP platform but the chassis is reversed and it uses a slightly different top plate. Gearboxes, a arms, bumpers, shocks, diffs, front and rear driveshafts, turnbuckles and camber links are for sure the same.

Maverick
1671086896715.png

Redcat
1671086938121.png

From what I’ve heard about Redcat they can be good if your planning on running a lot upgrading to a brushless motor and esc would probably be a good idea also get a lipo you’ll thank me later and not sure how good the electronics are so you could upgrade to the Dumbo RC X6 or X4 (cheap good radio and reciver) and a BETU servo (amazon) even if you get a goolrc brushless and a Zeee lipo none of this is necessary but could benefit definitely would recommend lipo
The stock radio that comes with it is a rebranded Flysky FSGT2 variant, it is a decent rtr radio no need to upgrade it.

Last edited:
Maverick is another rebrand of the HSP platform but the chassis is reversed and it uses a slightly different top plate. Gearboxes, a arms, bumpers, shocks, diffs, front and rear driveshafts, turnbuckles and camber links are for sure the same.

Maverick
View attachment 156810

Redcat
View attachment 156811

The stock radio that comes with it is a rebranded Flysky FSGT2 variant, it is a decent rtr radio no need to upgrade it.
I forgot about the Maverick Strada cars, since the only one i ever looked at, the Strada RX, isnt available anywhere that i can find. I was thinking of getting a lightning chassis, and putting the Strada RX body and wheels on it, but i can't even find them anywhere. Every site that says they have it, except EuroRC, is a scam site, and, none of the dealers HPI lists have them, and havent had them in awhile.

I forgot about the Maverick Strada cars, since the only one i ever looked at, the Strada RX, isnt available anywhere that i can find. I was thinking of getting a lightning chassis, and putting the Strada RX body and wheels on it, but i can't even find them anywhere. Every site that says they have it, except EuroRC, is a scam site, and, none of the dealers HPI lists have them, and havent had them in awhile.

How is that much different from most of HPIs cars and parts? HRP is a terrible distributor. 6 months after release and I still cannot get the chassis, rear center driveshaft or rear shock tower for the Vorza S Flux Truggy so I can fix my D8T.

Wheelspin shows the chassis with an eta of February.......................... https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/347950/