redcat earthquake 3.5 engine trouble!!??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juggernaut12

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hey guys i am still new to nitro and I'm really getting into it, my first nitro truggie is a earthquake 3.5 from redcat racing, I've posted about it, not the best nitro to own. I also now own a Savage, love it and i have no proplems with it. I barely use the redcat now, but I am still disapointed that it just sits there and collects dust. I really want this truck up and running, after all i did pay for it! I still want to be able to take both trucks out to the spot. So heres what i know, what I've done, ect.
Brand new fuel Traxxas 20%, brand new batteries brand name, inspected fuel lines and are in good shape. set the idol screw about 1mm, 2 to 2 1/2 turns from closed on the HSN riched it an hour or two untill I got to 4 turns out just to rich, pinch is right on the LSN, brand new glow plug, 3 glow igniters, 2 rechargeable 1 D battery ready when you are igniter, all 3 work the same. I've heard about this "pinch" when take out the glow plug and spin the flywheel to rotate the piston and right before the piston reaches TDC there should be a slight pinch? well this does not happen as it reaches TDC but after it begins to slide back down from TDC mabey an 1/8 of an inch there is a slight pinch. I do not know if that is right, also i just noticed on all of my glow plugs, that only half of the coil is lighting up! 2 brand new glow plugs, i know my igniters are charged fully. well i will be goin back to the hobbie shop next paycheck, more glow plugs, yay, so I was wondering if anybody else had some insight as to I'm doing wrong or what I'm not doing at all? I know these Redcats are not very good to begin with, like I said when the earthquake makes me mad, i just go pull out the Savage and forget about it, but I still want this thing going, it can be a beast when it wants to be!!

You have to tell us what is going on? not starting? bogging? :hehe:

Seal the engine, start at factory needle settings and start 'er up. You may wanna start just shy of factory settings if the engine is worn in. Traxxas fuel isn't the best stuff to use, but it works. If the engine doesn't have compression, it's shot. If it does, it'll run.

its bogging and there is still compression in it, I've set it back to factory and still does this

I've broke in the engine, it was a task to do so and got about half a gallon of fuel through it

So I have the 3.5 aftershock(same everything) you are most likely running the engine to lean. Basically a redcat is a paid for engine with some plastic around it so yeah it's kinda complicated but it will smoke ur buddies for sure. Run you HSN at around 3 turns out and the bogging will go away. Your low speed should be set on the pinch test( pinch ur fuel line, if it revs up for 3-5 seconds then starts to die it's perfect) and for your idle, it should sound like a weed-eater when sitting still but it should sound like its a little into the throttle when it's still moving but no throttle. Hope this helps! mine runs around 65mph at this setting and never cuts out.

Metalhead has a good point when talking about sealing the engine from airleaks. You will be chasing a tuning nightmare:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xwDy-I0Z4I"]How to seal an RC engine from air leaks - YouTube[/ame]

Also take a look at the tuning chart as your tune sounds off to me:

https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60832

I've bought glowplugs that didnt work before. If you have a 1/2 way decent LHS they should replace them free of charge.

Your pinch sounds as if it may be weak so it doesn't build much compression. Instead of a rebuild kit that would run around $80ish you could try this:

http://www.rayaracing.com/orderresize.htm

I wanna say it runs around$20-25

Good luck!!

s.h engines say not to seal there engines.I didnt listen to them and when i sealed mine it the oneway bearing would not touch the wristpin. and no i didnt put to much rvt on it

Back