Redcat Blackout xte pro

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom.a06

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I'm looking to get one and wondering how good it actually is for the price is the redcat volcano pro brushless worth it for that little bit more?

I'm looking to get one and wondering how good it actually is for the price is the redcat volcano pro brushless worth it for that little bit more?
The Volcano, XTE or Pro, isnt worth it, when compared to a Blackout. The Blackout is more durable, handles upgrades better, can handle higher speeds, is better in winter and wet weather. I have had both, and i gave my Volcano to my nephew, because i quit using it after getting a Blackout. I even took the time to to get the parts to turn the Volcano into a Tornado buggy, using a mix of HSP, Redcat, and Exceed RC parts, and still didnt like it. This is my Blackout XTE, after i upgraded to brushless, being pounded at a local bmx park:
As hard as i was on it, the only thing that broke was a diff case, and i still ran it after that. Recently, we had it out in about a foot of snow, and, after swapping to Volcano tires (you can get the same tires and wheels the Volcano has cheaper on eBay, even with US shipping, than you can from Redcat), it went through it fairly well. The two things i recommend though, get a cheap 20KG or 25KG servo on eBay to have on hand. The stock servo will die pretty quickly. I now have 2 Blackout XTE's, that i let a very rough 9 and 10 year old hammer on, and although they do break, it doesn't seem to be near as often as my Volcano/Tornado hybrid did.

EDIT: These are the tires i typically get for them: https://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-1-10-RC-Monster-Truck-Car-Wheel-Type-Tires-with-7-Spokes-Wheel-Rim-Black-RC/303758629000?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 You do have to glue them, but, unless you are running 3S, they seem to be pretty decent. I bought my Volcano 3 years ago, and i still have the original tires and wheels from it.

I forgot my second recommendation. If you upgrade it to brushless, stick with a 3300KV or a 3500KV. 3800KV is a bit too much for it.

Last edited:
I just got myself a blackout xbe pro and this this is super sturdy and super fast. Definitely worth it