Red Cat RC's

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Be Ready

Go ahead Punk.... Make my day!
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
What's your thoughts on the Red Cat brand RC's... I know it's not Arrma Tuff but, some of there offerings seems to be getting some good reviews. What's good and what's junk? Been looking at some of their Crawlers.... Thanks for your commits!

What's your thoughts on the Red Cat brand RC's... I know it's not Arrma Tuff but, some of there offerings seems to be getting some good reviews. What's good and what's junk? Been looking at some of their Crawlers.... Thanks for your commits!

I'm not a crawler type myself, but, i know a few guys who are, and they seem to like the Everest Gen7 and the Scout gen8. Even Big Squid gave them both pretty good reviews. As for my redcats, i have a Volcano EPX (only thing good about it is that you can make it a whole new vehicle out of it with a few cheap changes), and i have had a couple different Blackouts (nowhere near as durable as an Arrma or an ECX), and i currently have 2 Terremotos (compared to other Redcats i have messed with an owned, its almost like this one was made by an outside company. It is heads and shoulders above Redcats from even 2 or 3 years ago). Maybe Redcat has finally stepped up and started making all their products better, but, only time will tell. One thing i have noticed is that there doesn't seem to be a review of the Everest-10 on Big Squid, and i dont know anyone that has one, so, that might be saying something.

I started my RC truck addiction with Red Cat. First got their Rockslide X10 crawler, then the bigger Rockslide Super crawler, (huge). Then got a Volcano and a Landslide. I like them all, and there are quite a few after market parts available. I set up my 2 crawlers with cameras for FPV, and have all the aluminum upgrades for the Volcano, along with a 3S motor/ESC combo to go in/on. BUT, the Red Cat forum is DEAD, hardly any new posts, ever! Sad. And since I discovered Arrma, and this forum, I don't think Red Cat will get any more of my money.

I started my RC truck addiction with Red Cat. First got their Rockslide X10 crawler, then the bigger Rockslide Super crawler, (huge). Then got a Volcano and a Landslide. I like them all, and there are quite a few after market parts available. I set up my 2 crawlers with cameras for FPV, and have all the aluminum upgrades for the Volcano, along with a 3S motor/ESC combo to go in/on. BUT, the Red Cat forum is DEAD, hardly any new posts, ever! Sad. And since I discovered Arrma, and this forum, I don't think Red Cat will get any more of my money.
My "RC addiction" happened in stages. It started years ago with mainly Tamiya stuff, since that is about all that was available, then i got out of it, then got back in for awhile with nitro stuff, then, back out, and, when i got back in this time, i started with 2 Redcat volcano EPX's, one of which is now a hybrid monster truck/buggy/truggy, and the other i traded for parts for an Arrma Fury and Racers edge and Blackout i picked up cheap, then, i got another Blackout that was nothing but problems, so, i got away from Redcat for the last year, until a month ago when a guy traded me 2 Terremotos for a kids mini 4 wheeler i had. My avatar is actually the Fury, the Racers Edge, and the Volcano that is now a hybrid, or, as my kids call it, frankenstein. The Tterremotos, so far, havent been bad, but, i also have only ran them maybe 3 times so far, due to the weather we have been having. I dont mind running my cars in snow, but, not when there is so much snow my neighbors kraton disappeared under it. We got 2 feet in 14 hours recently.

I own a Team Redcat TR-MT8E 4S (it is a rebranded Team Magic vehicle)and it is without a doubt one of, if not THE toughest rc's I own. I also plan on buying the 6s version after a few other RC purchases (more Arrmas ?)My brother has a Terremoto that has served him well. I will say that not all of Redcat's vehicles are built to the same quality levels but the Team Redcat stuff is solid. Their short course truck, the SC10E, is one of the fastest out of the box vehicles I have seen (right around 60mph bone stock on 3s). And though I'm not much of crawler fan, the new Gen 8 is getting great reviews. From what I've been reading, Redcat is in the middle of a slight restructuring for the better. If I'm not mistaken they now have a former guy from Axial on their team so that seems to bode well for their future.

Their short course truck, the SC10E, is one of the fastest out of the box vehicles I have seen (right around 60mph bone stock on 3s).
My biggest concern with the Redcat stuff is it actually seems hit or miss on their sizing. For example, my Terromoto is actually a bit smaller than my Granite, and the blackout is a bit smaller than my Fury, even though they are all listed as 1/10th scale, so, i wonder, size wise, how their SC10 compares to say, a Senton or even my Fury. On the Volcano, i have found that even 1/10 buggy bodies are way too big, but 1/12 bodies are a bit too small, and the only ones that fit are the Redcat and Exceed RC ones, and, on the blackout, my Fury body would fit over that body. Another thing i had an issue with with some of their vehicles is the pricing. For example, the Volcano is roughly $40 more than the exact same truck from Exceed, and, its the same with a few of their vehicles.

My biggest concern with the Redcat stuff is it actually seems hit or miss on their sizing. For example, my Terromoto is actually a bit smaller than my Granite, and the blackout is a bit smaller than my Fury, even though they are all listed as 1/10th scale, so, i wonder, size wise, how their SC10 compares to say, a Senton or even my Fury. On the Volcano, i have found that even 1/10 buggy bodies are way too big, but 1/12 bodies are a bit too small, and the only ones that fit are the Redcat and Exceed RC ones, and, on the blackout, my Fury body would fit over that body. Another thing i had an issue with with some of their vehicles is the pricing. For example, the Volcano is roughly $40 more than the exact same truck from Exceed, and, its the same with a few of their vehicles.
The SC10E seems to be more of a 'true' 1/10 scale than some of their older models. And that could be due to it being under the Team Redcat brand and being rebranded from a more 'premium' source (Hong Nor or something like that).

I have a MT10E that I have no complaints. The esc eventually burned out and Redcat replaced immediately. Right now it's torn down in between an upgrade esc and I'm trying to decide if I want to sell it (have too many models now) or just finish getting the esc done.
If I were into crawlers, I'd get that new Scout.

I have a MT10E that I have no complaints. The esc eventually burned out and Redcat replaced immediately. Right now it's torn down in between an upgrade esc and I'm trying to decide if I want to sell it (have too many models now) or just finish getting the esc done.
If I were into crawlers, I'd get that new Scout.
I am always looking for monster trucks, but, i try to stay in the low $200 range, simply because of what we do with them. Thats why Granites, and, at times, even the ECX trucks are perfect for what we do. As for too many vehicles, my wife stopped counting at 11, shook her head, walked away, and hasnt said a word about them, but, i think shes plotting how to sell some when I'm not looking. In the meantime, I'm looking to buy more, but, I'm not sure which i want to buy.

I really like the Redcat brand. I have found both the Caldera SC 10E and the Terremoto-10 V2 to be really good RC vehicles. One thing that is often overlooked is that they come with Hobbywing brushless motors and esc which is a step up from what most RTR RC vehicles come with. Redcat has really improved over the years as well. I feel they are comparable to the other brands. Some just trash them since most of the models are sold pretty cheap.

Brian

I really like the Redcat brand. I have found both the Caldera SC 10E and the Terremoto-10 V2 to be really good RC vehicles. One thing that is often overlooked is that they come with Hobbywing brushless motors and esc which is a step up from what most RTR RC vehicles come with. Redcat has really improved over the years as well. I feel they are comparable to the other brands. Some just trash them since most of the models are sold pretty cheap.

Brian
They're improving every new model imo. The Team Redcat stuff is solid.
The second truck I bought ever was the MT10E and it's an excellent product besides the 80a esc which gave me trouble after 6 months or so and Redcat replaced without question. They sent me a new 80a rebranded HW esc. I have it (esc) for sale dirt cheap and brand new on the classifieds section here. Supposed to run 3s and it does but maybe it doesn't work well with batteries with high C-Rating? I don't know. Programmable and nice on 2s all day long.

I have that MT10E available with full chassis skids and roll cage if anyone is interested. Will sell the roller or etc.

The second truck I bought ever was the MT10E and it's an excellent product besides the 80a esc which gave me trouble after 6 months or so and Redcat replaced without question. They sent me a new 80a rebranded HW esc. I have it (esc) for sale dirt cheap and brand new on the classifieds section here. Supposed to run 3s and it does but maybe it doesn't work well with batteries with high C-Rating? I don't know. Programmable and nice on 2s all day long.

I have that MT10E available with full chassis skids and roll cage if anyone is interested. Will sell the roller or etc.

View attachment 30009View attachment 30010View attachment 30011

I meant sell or trade is always an option. :) Sorry out of place here.

I meant sell or trade is always an option. :) Sorry out of place here.
The team redcat stuff is way out of my budget, and, high speed vehicles arent really worthwhile, because i have very limited space to run them in. My neighbor just picked up a Senton 6S a few days ago, and can barely get it to 30 before he is out of room (and that is on the road out front, out back is even less room). Our total play area is roughly 110 feet by 82 feet, and has trees, a few rises, big rocks, and is bordered by a wall on one side, a fence on one side, a creek on one side, and a row of hedges and trees and brush on the other, so, even on 2S, they barely get up to much speed. We mostly just goof off, and make challenges, like who can jump the creek from the sharp turn we made, or who can make it through the two trees with the narrow opening without hitting anything (a Force RC Warhawks front suspension explodes on minor impact with a tree, just dont ask how many times it took for me to learn not to try and make that jump).

My second vehicle just goes to show I'm getting old. My first 3 vehicles were original Tamiya buggy kits. My first RTR was the Associated i always hang on to, even when i say I'm gonna get rid of it. I've gotten rid of every vehicle i owned several times, and got out of the hobby, but, i never let that one go. At one point, it sat in a box in my closet for over 4 years.

The team redcat stuff is way out of my budget, and, high speed vehicles arent really worthwhile, because i have very limited space to run them in. My neighbor just picked up a Senton 6S a few days ago, and can barely get it to 30 before he is out of room (and that is on the road out front, out back is even less room). Our total play area is roughly 110 feet by 82 feet, and has trees, a few rises, big rocks, and is bordered by a wall on one side, a fence on one side, a creek on one side, and a row of hedges and trees and brush on the other, so, even on 2S, they barely get up to much speed. We mostly just goof off, and make challenges, like who can jump the creek from the sharp turn we made, or who can make it through the two trees with the narrow opening without hitting anything (a Force RC Warhawks front suspension explodes on minor impact with a tree, just don't ask how many times it took for me to learn not to try and make that jump).

Sounds like a good spot for crawlers, you have. That Gen8 Scout (licensed body?) is very nice imo at $300.
I'd prolly get the orange one but I do love the look of this truck so much. :)?
It may be the first Redcat original design from the US factory? Not sure, just drooling. lol

media.nl

Sounds like a good spot for crawlers, you have. That Gen8 Scout (licensed body?) is very nice imo at $300.
I'd prolly get the orange one but I do love the look of this truck so much. :)?
It may be the first Redcat original design from the US factory? Not sure, just drooling. lol
We avoid any slow vehicles, because my wife is a bit, shall we say, terrorizing at times. She has 2 Nylint 1/6 scale crawlers, and she is always trying to run us over, so, our goal is to avoid the monster at all costs. Besides, I've always been a fan of watching cars fly, and crawlers dont do that very well, unless you throw them.

My second vehicle just goes to show I'm getting old. My first 3 vehicles were original Tamiya buggy kits. My first RTR was the Associated i always hang on to, even when i say I'm gonna get rid of it. I've gotten rid of every vehicle i owned several times, and got out of the hobby, but, i never let that one go. At one point, it sat in a box in my closet for over 4 years.
I'm new compared to your experience and those all here before me. I came on late at 44years and I'll be 49 this year. I love to see stories from you all that have come in to hang from the ground up. (y)

We avoid any slow vehicles, because my wife is a bit, shall we say, terrorizing at times. She has 2 Nylint 1/6 scale crawlers, and she is always trying to run us over, so, our goal is to avoid the monster at all costs. Besides, I've always been a fan of watching cars fly, and crawlers don't do that very well, unless you throw them.

lol o_O Do you have video or photos of your run time? Id love to watch! Seems unique to me while I just air em out. lol

lol o_O Do you have video or photos of your run time? Id love to watch! Seems unique to me while I just air em out. lol
I dont have any video, but, my neighbor had some awhile back, I'm just not sure what he did with them. I'm planning on getting a couple cheaper GoPro knockoffs soon though, if i can sneak them in along with my other RC purchases. The only time i take pics is when they are in the house, before we go out and run them, which, lately, isnt very often, due to the weather. Although, if it gets as bad as they say it might tomorrow, i might take one of the Granites out and do donuts in the snow and ice. I was thinking of doinbg it with my SC10, but, I'm not sure i want that in that kind of weather.

The 80a is underrated for the Thor motor on 3s. Higher kv motors like the Thor pull a lot of amps on 3s. Run a MAX10 120a and you would probably been running fine. I run the MT10E 80a esc with the VXL 3500kv on 3s does just fine but that's in a 2wd Rustler.