Receiver acting weird

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fstnd

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So my hpi rf1 servo lately gives throttle by itself, but the biggest problem is that it gives throttle instead of braking when I turn off the transmitter. I wouldn't like to see my 4.6 just drive away😂

Maybe the servo is reversed? When turning off the transmitter maybe the servo is not in the neutral position (idle, no reverse or forwards) It can be the end point adjustments on the servo. If you are using a more basic radio you might not have the function to change those. It could also be the actual transmitter itself if the trigger isn't in the neutral position. I'm not a nitro guy myself but there are a few people on here that have nitros. Just using my knowledge about servos. Another thing would be the servo horn. Have the servo centered, take off the horn and but it back on mostly center or center. (Either straight up, left or right depending where the servo is located.
And welcome to RCT :welcome_sign:
After looking more this is the receiver. It is a AM rx/tx. Most RCs today have 2.4Ghz rx/tx. I don't go back that far with the old AM/FM rx/tx.

Last edited:
So my hpi rf1 servo lately gives throttle by itself, but the biggest problem is that it gives throttle instead of braking when I turn off the transmitter. I wouldn't like to see my 4.6 just drive away😂
Honestly I would replace the servo with something decent, doesn’t have to be crazy expensive. If your servo continues to give throttle by itself, you may have a problem with the actual receiver itself causing the glitching.

I'm confused as to why you are turning off the transmitter first before the receiver.

you never turn off the radio b4 the car battery . thats just not smart. thats what will cause a run away no need to relace anything just turn stuff on in the correct order and off same thing..radio 1st on last off car 2nd on 1st off.

I'm confused as to why you are turning off the transmitter first before the receiver.
I am just testing what would happen if it came to that point, the motor is not driving
Honestly I would replace the servo with something decent, doesn’t have to be crazy expensive. If your servo continues to give throttle by itself, you may have a problem with the actual receiver itself causing the glitching.
Thanks! Do you maybe know a good budget servo that fits in the 4.6?

the actions your servo is doing is normal when you turn radio off before receiver. A new servo wont fix the actions you are doing

What transmitter/receiver do you have? Some have a failsafe built into them so they go to the throttle/steering point they were at when you bound the transmitter/receiver. So when you shut off the transmitter, the receiver would send both channels "home".

Although, the weirdness your seeing with the throttle servo when both are turned on would suggest something is wrong with it.

What transmitter/receiver do you have? Some have a failsafe built into them so they go to the throttle/steering point they were at when you bound the transmitter/receiver. So when you shut off the transmitter, the receiver would send both channels "home".

Although, the weirdness your seeing with the throttle servo when both are turned on would suggest something is wrong with it.
Thanks, I found out it had a small black radio box, it had only one button and when I pressed it I could changed the new failsafe.
Actually I'm gonna get a new 2.4Ghz but for now I am with the 27mhz rf1, and the transmitter. Even though it's old, it's always good to have a reserve🙂

Do you think the weirdness with the throttle servo might be because of the low temperature? Because for me the air temperature is here like -1°C now

Do you think the weirdness with the throttle servo might be because of the low temperature? Because for me the air temperature is here like -1°C now
What are you using as a receiver pack? 4 alkaline AA's, 4 rechargeable AA's or a hump pack?

Cold shouldn't really affect a servo until you get sub-zero really (-17c), even then not sure it would matter a whole lot.

However, receiver packs on the other hand won't like the cold. Alkaline's don't do well at all in the cold, neither do NiMH cells, especially if your using just 4 to power the receiver. A sub-c hump pack will do ok, but still not that great in the cold for very long.

Thanks, I found out it had a small black radio box, it had only one button and when I pressed it I could changed the new failsafe.
Actually I'm gonna get a new 2.4Ghz but for now I am with the 27mhz rf1, and the transmitter. Even though it's old, it's always good to have a reserve🙂

You need to go 2.4, 27mhz is very prone to interference, this is your problem.
You will see the servos twitch and do weird things when running crystal radios.
Absolutely no reason to stay with it nowdays, as cheap 2.4 alternatives are around.
I myself use Flysky GT5 and its a great budget radio.