Rear diff gears keep stripping

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chevy-SS

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I know, I deserve it. I put a Ofna .26 in my race Maxx and now the rear diff keep stripping out. I have rebuilt it three times and I guess it's time to spend some money on a really strong setup, but I don't know what would be best. Anybody got a recipe for a .26-proof diff?????

Thanks

Hi, I use racers edge diffs and robinson racing gears on my P2. Also I run team Bluestar bearings. I heard Acer bearings are awsome as well (acerracing.com). The.26 only puts out .4 hp more than the P2. I heard the aluminum casing helps to reduce the flex that plastic diffs can have under extreme use...
Are you shimming your diffs to within 1mm?
Bad bearings can cause stripping as well...
Binding after rebuild also needs to be checked,...
How long after rebuild are they blowing?

Later...

I'm popping them right away, so I figure I am doing something wrong. I am not shimming anything, as there were no shims in there to begin with. Does anyone have a seup posted on the net so I can see what (and how) to check measurement for shims??

Are you using RRP spider gears also? I would just like to get something that ain't gonna blow right up. I am gettin' sick of fixin' this Maxx, although I realize I am putting out more than twice the power it was designed to handle.

I am going to fix this Maxx up and just use it as the ultimate basher, and then beat the living snot out of it, if it doesn't beat the snot out of my wallet first, lol. For racing, I am going with MGT or SUT.

*cough* supermaxx ultralite 7.5 diff's *cough* lol. get the supermaxx diffs and all of ur problems will be solved

bryan

I wrote up a shimming step by step, part # by part# guide for the maxx. You should be able to dowload it from this link: Maxx Diff Shimming Doc

It's a word document.

With this, I would also suggest getting aluminum diff cases and either the Kippster Diff Cup or the Maxmizer Diff Cup. I'm using maximizers and have been running the same cups for about 4 gallons. I haven't opened the diffs in a long, long, long time... I think since I rebuilt them with the maximizer diff cups. Also, I'm using the one that's the modified stock traxxas gear, the stock pinion and spider gears and integy al diff cases.

I'm currently running an Omega 21 Comp that puts out 2.4hp. I have about 2 gallons with this engine. The other 2 gallons was run with an OS 21 RG.

ammoguy, olds97, thanks for links. As an old drag racer I should know better. It is extremely important to set ring and pinion mesh on a real car. It makes perfect sense that the RC diff would need the same treatment. Those supermaxx diffs look great, but I'll bet most anything will hang pretty tough if it is set up perfectly.

Thanks

Back