Real life scale RC pontoon boat

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

eddy.r

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everybody, I am not that much of an RC expert but I have played around with the topic a couple years ago. My question is how can i build an RC pontoon boat 7 meters long and 4 meters wide, with a carrying capacity of 4 tones. I already have the pontoon, but I am not an expert on the electronic system. Can someone please help me out with the electronic component list, and also explain to me their function. I would ideally like it to have at leat a 4 km range and have a camera on it. Any help is welcome.

tntpoof

Forgot more than most will ever know!
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Flying
2.5 miles I dont think thats going to happen and is it 4 tons?a fpv system might work but not for that distance

WickedFog

Starter of too many projects
Supporter
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
DJI drones will go farther than 2.5 miles with a crystal clear picture and Tx signal (16.8km max advertised I believe). And there are long range fpv systems out there that will go farther.

No idea what you would need to move 4 tons through the water though. But you will need a really good radio, a receiver, and some kind of speed control to control the engine. Not to mention something to turn the rudder, like a linear actuator or something similar.

WVNed

Vroom Vroom
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
5-20KM Range for drones with FPV
https://www.ebay.com/itm/283990659129
You might need a tall antenna mast though.

For linear actuators you probably want to look on robotics websites.

What power. A gas motor would need throttle, steering and reverse maybe. Use a channel for fuel level.

Basically the same as a robotic mower with more range

Not hard to do but not cheap.

Donnie533

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I kinda think that a full scale RC boat / barge is not legal.
I would read up on Coast Guard regs - and yes they regulate inland waterways as well.