RC10GT makeover

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b3d3g1

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys. Found my old Team Associated RC10GT at my parents house I built from a kit somewhere in the late 90s. I saved up all my money and built it over a christmas vacation and now I'm thinking about going through it and refreshing and making it run again. I built an electric truck 2 years before but I sold it to get this one. I didn't know anything at the time and I could only ever get this truck to run a tank before it rattled itself apart. It probably has less than 10 tanks through it. I tried with minimal effort to get it running maybe around 2006 after it sat and could get it going with some fresh fuel and gave up after I got a blister from the pull start.

I think the engine is a HPI nitro star 15.
I'd like to fix things that need to be fixed and then figure out how to make it better. I'd probably just be taking it with me on weekends when I go to a real race track to mess around with free time.
Any help or guidance on where to start would be very much appreciated. Maybe telling me to trash it would help too if you think it's a waste of time. I don't know how much these things have changed over the last 15 years.
Electronics will probably be where I start to see if the controls still work.

Anyways, here's some pictures of what I have:
2016-04-27 22.29.00.jpg

2016-04-27 22.29.47.jpg

Things have come leaps and bounds. Lol. But if it works I wouldn't replace it. As far as rattling itself apart, some blue loctite on any fasrener that goes into metal will help immensely.

Well, the components of it are definitely dated, but I don't see any reason to pitch it. Maybe replace the 4 cell AA pack with a rechargeable hump pack would be a good start. I remember when I had my Losi xxx-nt 15+ years ago and the batteries would make poor contact on landings causing electronics to drop out at what was usually an inopportune time.

If it sat for 10 years, odds are the o-rings in the carb are dried out, possibly to the point that they are garbage. You can try carefully taking the needles out (HSN/LSN/IDLE screw) and putting them in a cup with some nitro fuel and let them soak overnight. Sometimes that will help soften them up and make them swell up a bit so they will seal. Also, the engine is probably gummed up due to the fuel drying out inside it, so you may want to take it completely apart, clean everything with DA and put a few drops of after run oil on the bearings, con-rod ends, piston, then put it back together and seal the backplate/carb neck with sensor safe RTV, then let it cure overnight and try and run it.

A thread about sealing:
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/threads/nitro-tuning-tips-and-tuning-flow-chart.60832/#post-726317

I'm building a blue chassis rc10 gt right now. Yes, it isn't going to be breaking any land speed records, but with an is 18cvr, it should be fun! Anyways, I don't have a working radio system in the car so I am going to get it running without one first. After I get it running, I am going to disassemble and rebuild the whole thing. Fix the Mickey mousing that happened before I owned it etc...
Yes, I would start with the radio, then get the motor running, tear down, ckean, replace broken parts etc and build it back up.
Now, if you're going to toss it... Just let me know!
Good luck!

@b3d3g1. Hey! I was wondering how you ever made out with the GT here? Did you get it fired up? Any progress?

rc10gts are fun. I have a few. I have two black tubs I got in a trade. some parts are still available.
lets keep this thread going with updates and pics.

I have a few of the blue chassis and love them. I am always searching for spare parts just in case I need them.