RC Road Car

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartd

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
I'm thinking about picking up an on road car, needs to be a RTR as I'm not ready to go down the build it myself route yet.

Looking at the Hobao Hyper VTe RTR 150A model, or a HPI WR8. Both will run to about £450 ($580). I like the way they handle and both seem reasonable fast.

Wondering if anyone has experience with Hobao or HPI ? Or if there's something in this price range that I should also be considering ?

I've considered getting one too but haven't really liked the look of the models I've seen so far. The Hobao at 150a looks very nice to me. First I've seen it and if I were to consider one...this body style is more along the lines of what I'd want. I'd prefer the silver color but wouldn't be opposed to blue.
The HPI WR8 is probably a great rig but I just can't get into the body style.

A few things to also consider are the the size and the power plant that each uses.
  • The Vte is based off a 1/8th platform and the WR8 is based off of a 1/0th platform.
  • The VTe is a bit larger at 585mm long, 305mm wide and 160mm high. While the WR8 is 485mm long, 227mm wide and 172mm high.
  • Different power systems Hobbying WP-8BL150 rebrand with a 1/8th scale 2000kv Hobbywing motor vs a Hobbywing Quickrun WP-10BL60 rebrand and a 1/10th 4000kv Hobbying motor.
  • The VTe is a lot more adjustable out of the box, the WR8 has fixed links.
  • Big bore 1/8th aluminum shocks on the VTe vs plastic bodied 1/10th scale shocks on the WR8
If both are the same price the Hobao is the clear winner in value compared to the Hpi.

If wanting to try onroad start with something less expensive, I bought an onroad car to try and I just found it extremely boring driving around a parking lot all the time. I ran it enough times to tear up the tires then tore the electronics out of it and it sat in a box until I gave it away.

I’ve been thinking about it then decided I would look at either the Typhon or the Talion and use one of them as my street car, leaving me with the option to take it back off road if I changed my mind

I have a kyosho inferno gt2 ve demon nib, but I decided to go a different route for now.

Building a typhon gt8 conversion instead.

Last edited:
Talion great for driving,if your great operator. Others with big wheels good for bouncing an flipping upside down.

I've considered getting one too but haven't really liked the look of the models I've seen so far. The Hobao at 150a looks very nice to me. First I've seen it and if I were to consider one...this body style is more along the lines of what I'd want. I'd prefer the silver color but wouldn't be opposed to blue.
The HPI WR8 is probably a great rig but I just can't get into the body style.

I like the styling of the WR8, came close to buying the 1/16 traxxas Ken Block fiesta a few years ago as my first RC but ended up waiting until last year when I got a Talion. I probably prefer it to the Hobao.

A few things to also consider are the size and the power plant that each uses.
  • The Vte is based off a 1/8th platform and the WR8 is based off of a 1/0th platform.
  • The VTe is a bit larger at 585mm long, 305mm wide and 160mm high. While the WR8 is 485mm long, 227mm wide and 172mm high.
  • Different power systems Hobbying WP-8BL150 rebrand with a 1/8th scale 2000kv Hobbywing motor vs a Hobbywing Quickrun WP-10BL60 rebrand and a 1/10th 4000kv Hobbying motor.
  • The VTe is a lot more adjustable out of the box, the WR8 has fixed links.
  • Big bore 1/8th aluminum shocks on the VTe vs plastic bodied 1/10th scale shocks on the WR8
If both are the same price the Hobao is the clear winner in value compared to the Hpi.

If wanting to try onroad start with something less expensive, I bought an onroad car to try and I just found it extremely boring driving around a parking lot all the time. I ran it enough times to tear up the tires then tore the electronics out of it and it sat in a box until I gave it away.

Yeah, both running in about the same cost.
The VTe does look like a better option, but the advantage with the HPI is the wheels/tyres. From what I’ve managed to find so far there’s a good range of drift and semi drift wheels/tyres available with a 12mm hex but very little when stepping upto 17mm.

Both look to handle very nicely with a good turn of speed. I get where you’re coming from but buying something less expensive would likely give me something less enjoyable to use. I know that I’ll enjoy driving either around.

I’ve been thinking about it then decided I would look at either the Typhon or the Talion and use one of them as my street car, leaving me with the option to take it back off road if I changed my mind

I use all of mine (Talion, Typhon, Notorious) on road just now, they’ll go back off road in the spring. None of them handle like the VTe or WR8, so I’m looking at picking something else up.

I have a kyosho inferno gt2 be demon nib, but I decided to go a different route for now.

Building a typhon gt8 conversion also.

That Kyosho looks very nice!
Bit pricey for me, and I’m sticking to electric.

Ooooh, so it is! :)

I’ve found one with an Audi R8 body instead of the Dodge. It is more than I’m looking to spend but maybe not too much. Looks like one more to add to the list.

I like the styling of the WR8, came close to buying the 1/16 traxxas Ken Block fiesta a few years ago as my first RC but ended up waiting until last year when I got a Talion. I probably prefer it to the Hobao.

Yeah, both running in about the same cost.
The VTe does look like a better option, but the advantage with the HPI is the wheels/tyres. From what I’ve managed to find so far there’s a good range of drift and semi drift wheels/tyres available with a 12mm hex but very little when stepping upto 17mm.

Both look to handle very nicely with a good turn of speed. I get where you’re coming from but buying something less expensive would likely give me something less enjoyable to use. I know that I’ll enjoy driving either around.

I use all of mine (Talion, Typhon, Notorious) on road just now, they’ll go back off road in the spring. None of them handle like the VTe or WR8, so I’m looking at picking something else up.

That Kyosho looks very nice!
Bit pricey for me, and I’m sticking to electric.

There are a quite a few cheap on road cars that perform just as well as the expensive ones. You can get a Tamiya kit for less than $200 and they have tons and tons of body options and upgrade parts ect https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0091p?SORT=A&CAT=CAD&VND=TAM

There are a quite a few cheap on road cars that perform just as well as the expensive ones. You can get a Tamiya kit for less than $200 and they have tons and tons of body options and upgrade parts ect https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0091p?SORT=A&CAT=CAD&VND=TAM

Thanks, some of those kits look nice but I'm looking at a RTR car. Maybe I'll look at a kit at some point in the future when I've got more knowledge but for now a kit just adds too many variables for me.

I've pasted my OP below. If anyone can suggest specific models that are RTR and comparative to the WR8 and Hobay Hyper VTe in the way they handle and the speed they can get to with the stock esc/motor then I'm all ears.

I'm thinking about picking up an on road car, needs to be a RTR as I'm not ready to go down the build it myself route yet.

Looking at the Hobao Hyper VTe RTR 150A model, or a HPI WR8. Both will run to about £450 ($580). I like the way they handle and both seem reasonable fast.

Wondering if anyone has experience with Hobao or HPI ? Or if there's something in this price range that I should also be considering ?

Well you could also look at the HPI E10 Touring, HPI RS4, HPI Sprint 2, Vaterra V-100 and the Traxxas 4-Tec 2.0.

The Sprint 2 looks pretty interesting as it is belt drive instead of shaft driven.

For a parking lot, shaft driven is better when it comes to pebbles and such.

Brian

I realize this is a different scale car that what is being discussed, but I really enjoyed the Traxxas 4-TEC 2.0
It was very easy to work on and well built. Can fit 40x75 motors with some adjusting placement of the ESC and is a speed monster.

I also have a RedCat Lightning STK and like it, however they did things SO different from other brands. Lots of Philips screws instead of hex. Initially I didn't like the e-clips on hinge pins and driveline parts, but found it makes work on the car fast and easy. The car is dirt cheap and lots of aluminum upgrades. Best part is the diffs are large as they are shared with some off-road models. Many on-road 1/10 scale cars have weak diffs, but not the 4TEC and Lightning.

-Liberty

Back