RC Crawling - How to Score a Run?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WickedFog

Starter of too many projects
Supporter
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
I have been searching for rules on rock crawling to get an idea of how to setup and score runs on the crawler course I am building. I have absolutely no idea how you do any of this. And it seems the USRCCA or whatever it is in the stickies here is no more. Anyone know if they changed their name? Under new ownership? Or if you know of any good YT vids outlining the rules - please share. I just started looking, so I thought I would throw this post up to get the ball rolling.

Found a few ideas. I don't need to be all official, so will just make it up as we go. If you have any suggetions for rules you use, share them here.

Basic rules

Unlike traditional RC racing, rock crawling is a judged competition, and points are added for penalties. Like golf, the lowest score wins. Except for the starting and finishing gates, each gate successfully cleared is worth a “-1” point; a maximum score of 40 is allowed per course, and it is possible to have a negative score. The most common penalty is for using reverse, but you can also get penalties for having to roll your vehicle over and for hitting gates. There are often time limits for each course and exceeding the time limit will result in a Did Not Finish (DNF). Any time you have to touch your vehicle (for a repair, by accident or to reposition it other than for a simple roll over) it is deemed a touch penalty and it will cost you 10 points. In addition, when a touch penalty occurs, your rig must be placed with its rear axle at the last gate you cleared. Roll overs are only worth five points, but you must only simply roll the vehicle back over to either side. You can not pick it up and place it back on all four tires.

Penalties:

Reverse +1

Rollover +5

Vehicle Touch +10

Gate Marker +10

Out of bounds +10

I like this system. Will start using this score setup.
I have a test track in my yard. I use it to test vehicles. I don’t penalize for reverse or roll over that self correct. I call touching or completely failing at an attempted climb a foul.
I have a set number of climbs so the score ends up with the number of climbs say it 12 of 16 . The 16 being the number made possible by the best rig. And then the fouls. So the score looks like 12/16 +5 fouls. A perfect score would be 16/16+0.
Once the scores of my four rigs start to level out I go for time then it look like 8:32 16 +2.
When I started out I could only complete 5 climbs and it took 10 minutes.

The scoring is kind of like golf so to speak, the lower your score the better.
@Greywolf74 nailed it.
If it's just for your own competition obviously the scoring of your rid won't play any role.
In a real competition, the more accessories you have, the better your car is scored.
I like the negative scoring system they use.

There is a big difference when competing with others. Rules are everything. You really have to be a stickler for the rules or the competition looses its integrity.

Thanks a bunch guys! That is what I needed!

What about the flags marking the gates, and alternate paths? Is it typically setup where a path splits into two paths of varying difficulty and different points? I saw a crawling vid where there seemed to be different colored gates, but it was in a foreign language so I didn't understand it.

This will make the crawling course a lot more fun. Thanks again!

Yes, there is different paths you can take for a better score vs. just surviving the gate so to speak ;) It kind of allows the inexperienced drivers run the same course as the advanced guys. I think that's the coolest thing on a course.
To be honest I've never been in a competition but watched them in person and I watch all of them on youtube.

Thanks a bunch guys! That is what I needed!

What about the flags marking the gates, and alternate paths? Is it typically setup where a path splits into two paths of varying difficulty and different points? I saw a crawling vid where there seemed to be different colored gates, but it was in a foreign language so I didn't understand it.

This will make the crawling course a lot more fun. Thanks again!
In terms of making the gates themselves, the one and only comp course that I've ever seen used tennis balls cut in half to mark the gates. Although I guess for your course you have to use ping pong balls or something even smaller since its 24th scale :)

In terms of making the gates themselves, the one and only comp course that I've ever seen used tennis balls cut in half to mark the gates. Although I guess for your course you have to use ping pong balls or something even smaller since its 24th scale :)

He can just 3d print half balls or work cones

Hahaha great idea on the ping pong balls and to scale..
A sheet of cabinet door sticky pad's would work.

The one I am referring to had the pointy flags, and there were different colored ones on the course, pointing different directions. It was Indonesian or something. But I like the idea of the little balls, since you just move them around. Not sure even a ping pong ball would look right though. I mean if you scale it up it would be the size of a wheel and tire. Maybe I will just print some scale cones. I could put a hole in the top to stick a flag pointing to the course 🤔

Rules, Meh! I don't need rules to have fun with my crawlers, competition doesn't interest me. I do like a challenge but have nothing to prove, but to myself.
I know lots of folks are highly competitive but I'm not one of them. Just enjoy.

Rules, Meh! I don't need rules to have fun with my crawlers, competition doesn't interest me. I do like a challenge but have nothing to prove, but to myself.
I know lots of folks are highly competitive but I'm not one of them. Just enjoy.
If we were able to go outdoors and climb, yeah, this wouldn't be a problem. But with this small of a space to play I am trying to think of ways to keep it interesting, and to be able to gauge the improvements or advantages any mods give the trucks. I suspect most of the time we will just be playing and trying not to give the trucks a bath in the river lol.

Dangit! that gives me ideas! level one, subterrainian, level two, ground level. Hmmmm, I might be over reaching. 🤔
Would be fun with FPV, but if the camera goes out prepare for an "excavation" level 😉

I am the exact way. I enjoy watching them but have no desire to participate. Alone in the mountains is my idea of fun.. :)

Back