RC Boat range

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brassodin

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hello, does anyone know what the possible range is on a 2.4GHz FHSS 2CH digital proportional radio control system before you loose signal, in particular with regards to RC Boats. There is a lake near me which is 0.5KM wide and wondering if I may end up going swimming.

I can't speak to your particular radio because I'm not sure what exact one you are using but i know the budget Flysky GT3b has a range of at least 1/4 of a mile (.4km) so yours is probably good for at least half way across the lake. Knowing RCs though regardless of range you're gonna end up taking a swim eventually if you dont have a boat to go get your boat lol...but I digress. Thats the only advice I can offer there. If you have a quality radio its range should be at least 1/4 mile maybe more.

Ok, that gives me an idea, thankyou for responding, I really appreciate it. PS Will have my paddle board on standby just incase :)

Ok, that gives me an idea, thankyou for responding, I really appreciate it. PS Will have my paddle board on standby just incase :)

You can also do a precheck on dry land to see how far you get signal ,just
walk as far as you can away from your boat an see ,have some one there
at the boat to tell you if it loses signal!

Like cbaker65 said that would be your best way to find out. How far your signal will go. Before you launch it in to lake.then you might need the paddle board. Lol. That's how I do my trucks

you can elevate the boat and attach a binder clip on it with a flag and do the long walk. 1650 feet is way past any radio range.. id then put some kind of marker onshore to know when your close to signal loose

If you really get in to boats, I saw a guy on youtube once that made a boat with a fabricated bracket on the front of the boat so that if his boat stopped working on the water he could put the "rescue" boat in and use it to push the other boat back to shore. The bracket would kinda of trap the dead boat inside of it and make it stay in front of the rescue boat. pretty cleaver I thought.

Now that's smart with that almost a tug boat set up smart

I was thinking of getting a boat.i got a lake two blocks from house.but that's my fear loosing it out on the water then have to get it back some how other then the kid swimming for it lol

I was thinking of getting a boat.i got a lake two blocks from house.but that's my fear loosing it out on the water then have to get it back some how other then the kid swimming for it lol

Also ,make sure that you install some styrofoam in the hull of the boat if one dont all ready
have it built in ,that so if it does take on water to sink ,it will stay to the surface for recovery!..:thumbs-up:

Did you like them I've been running truck/cars for a long time but I leave near a pretty big lake.qas thinking some new and different

I've thought about getting a boat before too but I also worry about recovery.

Thats my problem bud lol I was just looking at boat the other day

I've thought about getting a boat before too but I also worry about recovery.

Yea ,they were fun ,mine was before the brushless era though ,I had mine beefed up using 14.4 volts running
2 packs of matched cell Sanyo 1200 racing Ni-cads with mechanical speed control an the Graupner 700 turbo
flex drive system in a deep v hull ,modified rudder & drive dog set up ,at full throttle ,the back of the transom
was barely touching the top of the surface of the water ,it was awesome!... :cool:

Just don't drive it where you can't see what it's doing. Most radios will do 1/4-mile reliably but I hate to take mine out too far.

Hello, does anyone know what the possible range is on a 2.4GHz FHSS 2CH digital proportional radio control system before you loose signal, in particular with regards to RC Boats. There is a lake near me which is 0.5KM wide and wondering if I may end up going swimming.
I was wondering also if radio range would increase,decrease, or be unaffected by water as compared to land. Wonder if water would have the ability to deflect up the signal and increase the range slightly (kind of like ham radio ionosphere effect) ? I have the Noble transmitter/external antenna rx that’s good for 280 yards on land.
Be careful! I read an article on how many RCers drown trying to recover their boats.

Last edited:
Back