Ran Fantom .27 in a buggy.....

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plaidfish

RCTalk VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I remember someone asking if anyone had done this and they were considering it...well all i can say is DO IT....if you want to show up your buddy w/ a RZ-b or a V-spec it was all over those mills and I had my throttle EPA limiting me to about 3/4 throttle an drunning rich on the low end.....aluminum shoes and 1.0 springs and you're set...Holy crap it was fast....I've never ran a buggy that could just pull everything on the track like that.....I had the stock XB8 Spur gear (???teeth) and a 14t CB...I'm getting a 15 and 16 tonite just to try different ratios......I know it's not race legal for most but if I can do it this weekend I'm gonna use it...LOL...I'll catch poop for it but whatever.......that mill is rated at like 2.9 Hp @ 43,000 RPMs.....HOLY CRAP.....I'm so stoked I might just run this in all the buggies for a while til they ban anything > .21

That is one of the mills I am considering for the X5. What was your cost? How was break in?Tuning ?

I think I got mine for about 170.....good hook up at the LHS.....I really didn't have a hard time breaking it in but I only did like a 6 tank break in then had 2 tanks of just cruisin around and drag racing my MT....it sat for about 2 months and last nite ran it at the track in my X-ray....it holds a tune really well..I had to adjust maybe 1/8 on tthe top and after fidgeting w/ the LSN it ended up right back where it started from......the idle is a little hard to dial in....it's still got the mechanical pinch to it and I ran it almost non-stop last nite....maybe 3/4 gallon 30% and it was rich as hell and nothing could catch it even w/ the EPA set to 3/4 of my throttle.......what a beast....it's gonna scream when I go up in the CB next time......w/ the aluminum shoes it launches of each bump in the rythm sets that I could get tires to touch......I noticed the Big difference in the low power in that section of the track........had to be careful cause I was clearing the triple w/o trying too hard...not used ot my buggy doing that......need more brake cause it was just fast...I can't even begin to explain how fast....it even smoked the guys running V-specs...HAHA my buggy is never the fastest one out there and it was funny to see like 5 guys turn and look at me on the driver stand when I caught em from the beginning of the straight...they were just leaving it when I started it and it was there in a flash.....anyway if you're not concerned w/ legal race engines...I'm getting another one of these for a practice day mill cause the price is right and I don't need to waste a 300 mill for practice sessions

Yeah I am going to get it from Bruce. He has some great deals and I need this.LOL Looking for some aluminum clutch shoes as well. The whole shabang!!! THanks Plaid!

Hey plaid I just found out that the new track buy me has no limit for the 1/8 scale buggys!!! I'm seriously considering a fantom 27. Was it a dirrect drop in?
Would I have to change anything to be able to run it in a Hyper 7 pbs? Thanks alot.

do you know how much one would cost i think i would like to try one out thanks

Southeastrc.com has em right now for 165 I think....It was a direct drop in, Yes....and it was fast...I think I screwed up the engine during break in and didn't bring the piston to BDC when it was cooling a few times.......cause it spiked once when I was running the 3 tank of breakin to 290 other than that once it never overheated and the piston / sleeve are smooth no scratches but it lost it's pinch....a friend is re pinching it for me...hopefully before saturday......If not I'll run my New RG....It was weird it just flamed out but never got hot......it wouldn't stay running for long once it hit 230 - 240 it shut off......less than a gallon.....so I'm a little puzzled on this one....I know guys getting 6-8 gallons out of em and they dog em out all day long.......anyway try it in your buggy cause it's cheap and they are evil fast....I had to limit my throttle and retune cause it had so much top end power......

I haven't had any probs with my Wasp .28. I have about 3/4 gallon and still has tons of pinch left. I believe its very similar to the Fantom, both are great choices and will make buggies haul ass.

YA southeastrc has em. One is $150 and one is $199. How come its more expenise w/o the P.s?

Probably the non p/s is more sought after, although still, thats kinda weird.

call SE and I'll bet they are less.....they have a sign saying they are on sale this month...

Back