Racing shocks/springs for Savage SS

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkEnergy

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
The stock shocks and springs are awesome for bashing but don't corner worth a crap. I'm thinking of creating a second set of shocks for the local dirt track so I can tear some poop up.

I'm looking at the shocks and it seems like if I just had a shorter, more stout spring and shocks, thats all I would need. It would lower the cg, stiffen up, and prevent as much body roll. The goal is to prevent flipping on a flat turn. On the stockers it flips on its back faster than a blonde at a frat party.

Of course I would not be able to handle as rough of terrain, but the local dirt track is relatively tame.

Any thoughts on this? I found a couple threads talking about different shocks but no mention of what kind of setup would be ideal for track racing.

If you go with some multi-position towers like Nova's or FLM's, you can run 1/8 buggy rear shocks.

I bought some composite towers from Skip a year or so ago and I'm running 8 buggy shocks. 4 would probably be ok for racing... but as a basher, I want to be able to handle some decent air.

2006-0722-SavageSH28FrontHigh.jpg

probably a dumb question, but what do you mean by buggy shocks? Can you give me example link or something?

Is the shock tower neccessary? Can I just connect buggy shocks to stock tower?

No, you need the tower as buggy shocks are shorter than savage shocks. The tower with the holes down the side allows you to get a decent ride hight and makes it adjustable. Plus, they are much fatter than stock shocks. They won't fit by the header and stock fuel tank if you run 8. I forget that I run a different tank... I don't know how hard/easy it would be to use buggy shocks with a stock tank even with after market adjustable towers.

Here's a link to the shocks I have: OFNA 9.5 Rear buggy shocks
Except mine came right off a buggy. Bought them on ebay for $25 a pair. Took me a few months to get all 8... Kind of a winter build last year. I also drilled out the pistons in the shocks as they were too stiff even when running light oil. Again, more than likely due to the fact that I'm running 8 vs 4.

Here are Nova towers. Around $50 a pair. Or Fast Lane machines @ $48 a pair. They aren't as adjustable as Nova's, but are supposed to work as well.

I saw those a while back. If I remember correctly, Pro-Line used to advertise them with their bypass shocks as a kit for the savage. $110 just for two towers is pretty steep though.

nova towers with the innovative rc LST2 conversion

http://www.innovative-rc.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_24&products_id=130

is the conversion kit for the Savage X. Any idea a) if X is interchangable with SS for this conversion? b) will it clear the fuel tank? c) what do I need the towers for if this is a full conversion? just for more adjustability?

Edit: nevermind on the fuel tank, now I see. Ti rods move to the inside, shocks go on outside. also from the pics it looks like all the hardware is the same (X vs SS) but I still want to make sure. Maybe I should contact their support.

Edit2: What you guys think about innovative-rc's lst shocks? http://www.innovative-rc.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_33&products_id=150

Last edited:
their shocks look great but i just have stock lst's

The X arms only have one mounting location for the bottom of the shock whereas the S25 arms have two locations. The bottom adapter piece bolts into both lower mounts and then gives you a single mount for the bottom of the LST shock. I have broken several lower arms but it was always due to driver error. I went with the hpi suspension conversion to get rid of the rear tierods (best investment ever) so i didn't have to mess with the relocation bracket. I already had the towers so i know it works great. (thats why i mentioned them)

The shocks are just much better in every aspect. I snapped stock shocks like twigs and bent the hot bodies aluminum ones within a few tanks. The lst's have taken a beating and still work great. I have the arms a hair higher than level and it takes some seriously uncontrolled driving to get the truck to roll over. As a stock truck it spent more time on its lid that it did on its wheels. here are some old pics.

IMAGE_00066.gif

IMAGE_00065.gif

Last edited:
Back