Questions on mgt 4.6

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canadiandiesel

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Bought a used unit and been beating on it for awhile, however I got a few questions about upgrading the unit.

The electronics box ( receiver) is quite small and it seems that all the wiring and receiver just barely fits in there, is there a larger assy available? Something that won't crush the wiring? And water proof it?

Would a crimped receiver wire cause the truck to respond eractly or not at all even, yes fresh batteries through it all

Issues with turning when stopped, seems I need a stronger servo, I've seen ones going up to 400oz which would be ideal however are there sizes? Do I have to measure the size of this one to find a direct replacement?

I'm looking into that fly sky gt3b radio for this unit aswell and from reading it seems like a good one when mods are applied

And to find upgrades for this machine what's the largest engine that can go in this machine?
I've be blowing up the rear shock support is there a metal upgrade around because the $5 part will get expensive,

And I got a side pipe installed on this thing is there one that goes on the rear so I can run duel tanks?

Sent from my smartass phone

I can't answer em all but Ill do what I can for you:

1) You could always "engineer" a larger box for your radio but in all honesty you would want a tight fit so theres less movement of your electronics. Less movements = less electrical failures

2)Any crimped wires would cause that but if your still running the original am radio chances are your picking up erratic friquencies which are causing you to glitch.

3)The stock servo is a piece of junk. I upgraded to this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-J...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ab9f96d21 Itys plent for turning but you could get 1 more powerful

4)I've never dealt with the flysky unit but would say any 2.4 radio would be an upgrade from the am radio as mentioned in answer #2

5)I run the Dynamite Bigred .28 and it performs just fine. You can get larger motors like the .50 that comes in the MGT 8.0 but everyone says that the motor is a dog. You could look at LRP. High quality at semi reasonable prices: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Associated-...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e6d928e06 As far as the "shock support" are you refering to the shock tower? http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ASSOCIA...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e6fcc8be1 If so go with RPM. They are gauranteed for life and work great.

6) The stock setup is a rear exhaust so if you have a sidepipe it is an aftermarket setup. I tried the dual tank setup and while it gives great runtimes it did have issues with airleaks popping up as you 2x as many fuelines to keep tabs on

All in all you have a good rig to beat or race with. My only advice is get extra diffs. You will find that this is the weakest area of the truck by far.

Well I invested into a hitec hsc-5998tg for this unit at [email protected]/ 250oz@6v it should turn any tire/rim I decide to install on it,

Also ordered up a gt3b with two extra rx's now just waiting for them to show up, I learned correct that, I understand why you have more then one rc in your possession, when ones down you can still play provided you don't break them all.

And yes shock tower my bad, I'm a diesel mechanic so i see it as a support not a tower.
I did the diff upgrade/ backlash mod without even reading about it, however is there a metal diff case for these? And possible lockers? Would like one for the rear diff.

I'm not aware of a locker made for that Diff but would suppose if you really needed it you could engineer just about anything to fit. You used to be able to get diff cases from GH (Golden Horizon) but I think they were the only 1's who made em. Try Ebay. Last I was looking for shocks for my MGT I recall seeing a few sets of cases for it.

i found these guys vertigo performance not sure if there good or what

still waiting on the tx/rx from hobbypartz does its always take this long argh, i look at the tracking usps daily and it just says left depot on xx date and thats it. it should be checked in to another post office or branch by now wouldn't you think?

and i quickly installed the new servo onto the mgt and plugged it into the old fm reciever but it doesn't work, is that reciever not work with the new digital servo's? or not enough power to it to fuction? did new batteries also. so i just unplugged it and guess i'll wait till the package arrives.

R u sure you had the servo plugged into the right port on the RX? I've never heard of a digital not working with an am radio but than again I have upgraded my radio to a 2.4

I havent dealt with hobbypartz. Where are they shipping from? If oversees they can take a few weeks to get here.

If you get the vertigo piece let me know how it works out. I may get a coupla for my rig.

I has the servo plugged into the steering port on the rx making sure it was all the way in, also replaced the batteries thinking that since there alky they don't hold the power long enough and nothing still the only difference I see is instead of a the wires being white/red/black the hitec servo is yellow/red/black which from reading the white/yellow are both signal and the other two are power and ground respectively

And apparently everything is coming out of there ca wearhouse.

Got the rx/tx yesterday, I'm glad it came in, set everything up, bound everything and tried the servo's the original one worked the new hitec one doesn't, I'm taking it back to where I got it and see what can be done, and yes brand new batteries in everything again

Now it works wtf, talk about keeping a close eye on it for the time being. Maybe the mgt will turn now while sitting still and actually hold its position

Not a day goes by and something else breaks, all shocks on the rear end went, power strokes are dang expensive $45 for two and doesn't seem the integry ones are much better,

What you say? What should I do for shocks?

I did the FT blue anodized shocks with copper springs. The FT (factory team) shocks are all aluminum with very strong shafts. You are right that the stocks are junk and while the bigbore Traxxas are nice not only are they expensive but they are about 5mm shorter than the MGT shocks are supposed to be. Whichever style you get I recommend the copper AE springs. Shes a VERY heavy truck. Otherwise the other springs will cause you to keep bottoming out and snap your shocks.

Ordered the kits for the rear of the truck see how that works, what would the best oil be for bashing I figure around the 45w?

Back