Question regarding High Voltage Servos

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the imitator

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
So after picking up a losi 8ight 2.0 and doing a few runs with it; I come to realize that obviously these Spektrum Z590 servos are meant to be either a mediocre throttle servo, or a back up servo.

I'm currently looking at Savox 1268SG servos that can run up to 7.4 volts making very impressive figures.

My question lies in the receiver, You need a LiPo battery between 4.4-7.4 volts obviously, but what kind of receiver do you need to run such voltage? I'm currently using a SR3000 with DX3.0, Spektrum says the voltage range is safe/usable 3.7-9.7 volts, so I assume my receiver is capable of handling 7.4 volts. But, will this more voltage cause more heat on such a small component, to the point of this spectrum receiver turning sketchrum? Anyone here in the past run a SR3000 on with high voltage LiPo's?

With that question covered, here's a dumb one, Assume I run 7.4 volts through my receiver and new steering servo, can you have a non high voltage servo (spektrum z590) and still utilize such components, or will the 590 blow smoke?

Thanks, ill be scouting the for sale threads for new electronics, unless I counted wrong it I may have some "free" money.

Is there a receiever you guys prefer? Perhaps a better steering servo for around 50-70 dollars, used or new.

Thanks all!

If its rated that high, the rx that is, then yeah it should be fine. I can't remember for sure but I think I ran a HV servo at 7.4v through a 3000 or 300. But I might have ran mine straight off the bec at that time too and didnt touch the rx....
There are plenty of servo's that are over 300oz that do it at 6v though, JR8711 is one I always liked. Not sure on the servo your looking at but its prolly more that 300oz if its HV. The HV hitec's I've ran were like 486oz, but I dont see a need for that in a buggy, only in a large scale or a comp crawler.
You can get a CS170 333oz new for around $80 usually too.

If its rated that high, the rx that is, then yeah it should be fine. I can't remember for sure but I think I ran a HV servo at 7.4v through a 3000 or 300. But I might have ran mine straight off the bec at that time too and didnt touch the rx....
There are plenty of servo's that are over 300oz that do it at 6v though, JR8711 is one I always liked. Not sure on the servo your looking at but its prolly more that 300oz if its HV. The HV hitec's I've ran were like 486oz, but I dont see a need for that in a buggy, only in a large scale or a comp crawler.
You can get a CS170 333oz new for around $80 usually too.

Okay, thanks for breaking that down for me.

Ya the savox I'm looking at is rated 333 at 7.3 volts. Just looking for the bang for my buck, I dont really care if its Hitec, futaba, savox,airtronics, spektrum/JR.

I had a GOOD laugh when I saw the guy who sold me this, pull out the "dx 3.0". Even being a 10 full years out of the hobby I said " Nice, so who bought out JR?" lol!

I feel anything above the 300 torque spec perhaps is over kill, but over kill is insurance, so I dont mind it. More or less if its above the 270 torque spec range, my focus changes over to speed..

I played paintball nationally in XPSL, PSP, and NPPL, so my reactions and timing tend to be spot on in certain aspects.. I KNOW I can feel the delay in my z590 steering servo, its not even an "i think" its an "I know" and if its like that, its too slow.

TLDR; I plan on running 7.4 volts anyways, so If the difference between 4 different servos is $20 who gives a :p:

anyone have cheap small LiPos for sale? lol

thanks "slowngreen", thats how I feel right now ;)

Last edited:
I built my own 2s receiver pack. I used two cylinder batteries and made a ballance tap. Pretty easy stuff. I just discharged them both to equal voltages, soldered and it was good to go. Works decent and half the weight of a 5 cell pack.
I used these

Another note.... careful using cells with the built-in PBC. They can cause the receiver to shut down and lose signal if the power drops. I just use a voltage alarm to let me know the power in down and time to pit.

Last edited:
I built my own 2s receiver pack. I used two cylinder batteries and made a ballance tap. Pretty easy stuff. I just discharged them both to equal voltages, soldered and it was good to go. Works decent and half the weight of a 5 cell pack.
I used these

Another note.... careful using cells with the built-in PBC. They can cause the receiver to shut down and lose signal if the power drops. I just use a voltage alarm to let me know the power in down and time to pit.

Very nice! I am going to send you a PM about the needed parts and accessories.

Let me get a list together of what I made it out of and I will PM you. It was super simple stuff....so easy even a Neanderthal Cyber bully was able to figure it out...lol:hehe:

Let me get a list together of what I made it out of and I will PM you. It was super simple stuff....so easy even a Neanderthal Cyber bully was able to figure it out...lol:hehe:

Right, I hear that, I have a reputation on other forums too :( .. too bad soo sad.

I'm just a little sarcastic, either I drink coffee in the afternoon or stay up too late.

Id take a look at the Savox SC1267MG instead of the 1268. You dont even need to run it on 7.4 volts and it will have plenty of torque and good speed. If you really want to crank it up though Id buy a BEC and run the servo directly from a 2S lipo and the rest of your electronics off of 6V though the BEC.

The SR300 can handle the 2s rx pack no problem, it's rated up to 9.6v.

Ahhh yes I remember reading that somewhere before. Not overly familair with Spektrums.

You could also try a 2s LiFe pack which is right 6.6v.

Thanks Guys for angles and ideas! I think I may make my own LiPos based on the the specs and design of the battery. Cheap LiPo batteries that way.
Whether its 6.6 or 7.4 It's too close to matter...

How do I go about running Lipos directly to the servos Via a BEC?

Do I simply pull the negative and positive out off the servo plug and run in through a bec? and then keep the 3rd wire in the servo plug intact, and simply plug it in my rx?

My other question would be in regards to the wiring configuration of 2 servo through a BEC. Do I simply take both positive wires from the steering, and throttle servo, and solder it to the positive side of the BEC; and Vice versa with the negative side? Or do I connect the 2 servos in a split and connect to the BEC with a single lead.

Thanks all!

Is it necessary to use lipo battery pack for hi voltage servo?

No, but you do give up some of the advantages of the HV servos if you don't run the higher voltages.

I'm in a similar situation with my new Eight-t. I will be using a spektrum radio, & 2000mah lipo. I got a nice little Savox sc-1267 H/V servo for steering, and I was planning on running a spare Savox sc-0252 standard voltage for throttle.

At this point the radio is in the truck connected and working. So far the standard voltage servo is working real nice. Has anyone run a standard voltage savox servo on 7.2v? if so how much life did you get before it smoked?

Last edited:
I know one of the guys on this forum says hes been running standard voltage servos at HV rates for a long time without hurting them. Me personally? Id rather buy a cheap hobbywing ESC run the HV servo off of HV and run everything else at 6V. Its not very expensive and pretty easy to set up. I have a video on my youtube channel if you're interested in learning more about BECs and how to hook them up.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBcv7TW1EFs"]BEC 101.avi - YouTube[/ame]