Question about pull start...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NORRYS

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
I buy a pull start but when I applied it I realized something was wrong.
Well I switched the one way, and I came to the conclusion that the pull start is spinning backwards making the engine go backwards.
I don't know if you understand.
If you can help me

I buy a pull start but when I applied it I realized something was wrong.
Well I switched the one way, and I came to the conclusion that the pull start is spinning backwards making the engine go backwards.
I don't know if you understand.
If you can help me

Yes ,an engine can start backwards causing the car or buggy to drive backwards ,I had that happen to me but
in a different scenerio!

Yes ,an engine can start backwards causing the car or buggy to drive backwards ,I had that happen to me but
in a different scenerio!
So does he just have the wrong pull start then? I didnt even know that was possible lol

So does he just have the wrong pull start then? I didnt even know that was possible lol
Just reverse the one way or spring in the pull start or string direction in said pull start I'm assuming. I never heard of a reverse rotaion nitro before.

I never knew you could start an eninge reverse. I tried in my younger days and the engine never kicked. I have had a motorize bicycle rev up, couldnt kill it, removed the plug and it revved for a good 5 to 10 seconds afterwards!

The string should go counter clock wise when you pull on the handles

I used to have a Cox .49 that had a spring that wound up the prop to start the engine, every once in a while the spring went back over a bit much and actually caused the engine start backward. It also happened on an O.S. FP 20 engine as well. So it is possible.

I know this can happen. doesn't the 1 way bearing stop most of this?
you can reverse the spring you will also have to reverse the pull start rotation as in the way its wound around pulley. take pics, make drawing , have a record to refer 2

I used to have a Cox .49 that had a spring that wound up the prop to start the engine, every once in a while the spring went back over a bit much and actually caused the engine start backward. It also happened on an O.S. FP 20 engine as well. So it is possible.
Morning bud. That'd interesting. And good to know in over 20yrs. I haven't experienced that one yet. Sorry it happened to you. But if you take off the pull start check the string rotation. When you pull on it. It should spin counter-clockwise.. were you able to fix it? You are talking about the recoil spring. Don't know how that could flip around🤔🤔. But as you said it happens. Do you have the correct pull start on the enegine?

Well, I didn't get the engine running.

But I realized that the fly weel was spinning in the opposite direction

I thank you again for the availability of all at the time of taking my questions 👍

Good races 😉

Last edited:
👆What he said :hehe:
Not a big deal, but most of the people in here probably can't read that, at least I can't 🤷‍♂️
Well, I didn't get the engine running.

But I realized that the fly weel was spinning in the opposite direction

I thank you again for the availability of all at the time of taking my questions 👍

Good races 😉
You gonna try and correct the direction the engine is being rotated or just gonna replace it?

Last edited:
Not a big deal, but most of the people in here probably can't read that, at least I can't 🤷‍♂️
I'm sorry I'Portuguese and I don't speak English, I speak through the translator

You gonna try and correct the direction the engine is being rotated or just gonna replace it?
I'm going to open the pull star and see if I can fix it, if I can't get it I'll buy a starter box that's much more practical

I'm going to open the pull star and see if I can fix it, if I can't get it I'll buy a starter box that's much more practical
When you take off the pull start just go slow.. some have a spring in center of the oneway bearing. Pushing against the pull start.. when you take it off I would put a small flat head screwdriver tip in and hold against the pull start so the recoil spring doesn't shoot out...
If it was running fine a few days or week ago. Then most likely the pull string is wrapped the wrong direction is all.. let is know how you make out bud 👍👍👍

When you take off the pull start just go slow.. some have a spring in center of the oneway bearing. Pushing against the pull start.. when you take it off I would put a small flat head screwdriver tip in and hold against the pull start so the recoil spring doesn't shoot out...
If it was running fine a few days or week ago. Then most likely the pull string is wrapped the wrong direction is all.. let is know how you make out bud 👍👍👍
I'll try to open the pull start this afternoon
Let's see how it looks 😂
At least I know what's turning him in the opposite direction. 👌

I'll try to open the pull start this afternoon
Let's see how it looks 😂
At least I know what's turning him in the opposite direction. 👌
Sounds like a plan bud. Just go slow. I mean you can reinstall the recoil spring. It's just a pain..I literally just did a pull recoil Thursday night. On a build I'm doing.... Also check you one way bearing to see if it's in the correct way. There should be a direction arrow on it... if you need anything post we will help you out with it bud. Happy wrenching 👍👍

Sounds like a plan bud. Just go slow. I mean you can reinstall the recoil spring. It's just a pain..I literally just did a pull recoil Thursday night. On a build I'm doing.... Also check you one way bearing to see if it's in the correct way. There should be a direction arrow on it... if you need anything post we will help you out with it bud. Happy wrenching 👍👍
Lack to roll the wire and test
Apparently it's fine.

Attachments

• IMG20211002154147.jpg
    IMG20211002154147.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 41
Lack to roll the wire and test
Apparently it's fine.
Wait what happened? Did you forget to wrap it up? Or did someone else forget.
Oh nice that one does have a lock on it.... 👍👍