Question about motor temp's

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitroracing

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hello

I have a Savage Xl 5.9 and would like to know what are the pro's and con's to running the motor at 270 to 275. The reason is because at 240-250 (per HPI) the truck is kinda sluggish and and takes about 40 feet to hit second gear(240)
@270 the truck is a beast doing wheelies and almost out of control ( FUNNNN!!) have my venom temp sensor to shut truck down at 285

I have done one up grade of new bead lock rim and little wider tires.

Thanks for all help

Thanks you will it just shorten the life of the piston and sleeve?
I can live with that for the results i am seeing LOL

A lot of it depends on the engine really. Some can be run up past 300 with no ill effects. Others....you will start to warp components if they get too hot. As long as the engine is running good and you have a good smoke trail....don't worry too much about temps ;-) If they pass the 300 mark....then richen stuff up a tad to coll em down.

I'm running around 240 or so and I'm hitting all 3 gears but no wheelies. I am noticing a small air leak somewhere because no matter how I tune it the engine seems to be machine gunning so to speak so I'll be sealing it up tonight.

With any rc engine you run the risk of damage if you run it above 250, but the damage should only extend to the piston and sleeve. As for the air leak its probably in your back plate.

With any rc engine you run the risk of damage if you run it above 250, but the damage should only extend to the piston and sleeve. As for the air leak its probably in your back plate.

My Alpha Plus Race engines don't even come alive until @ 240 degrees and typically run between 250 and 280 without any damage ;-) Every engine is different and temp is just one of the tuning aids that can be used to determine which way your tune needs to go. Once you develop an ear for it....you will be able to hear and feel what the engine needs. Just takes time.