question about diff oil weights vs shock oil weights

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sur3fir3

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
I was wondering if I could combine my much thicker diff fluid with my lower shock fluids to try to achieve the weight I need. the fluids I am using are both from associated. basically I bought 4 bottles, 2 of 35 and 2 of 30wt shock oil, and I need some oil in the range of 50-80 weight for some on road use. can I convert the diff oil to shock oil wt and mix?

Not sure but I think the two are made of a different material ... I know the shock oil is silicone oil but I dont think the diff oil is silicone.

I did some reading, and supposedly you can do this, I just wanted some feedback before I waste a ton of fluid on these LST2 shocks

I don't see a problem mixing different weight shock fluids, not sure about diff. Most of my diff fluid is 100k plus. My shocks in the revo I can change the size of the hole in the piston to fine tune. Or use a drill bit

I wouldnt just for the simple fact that you can get a couple bottles of 60 or 80 wt Racers Edge shock oil from TheToyz.com for something like 3 bux each with just another couple of bucks for shipping and then you done have to try and guess if your mixture is right or hope and get all 4 shocks the same consistency. Just my .02

I use team associated silicone shock oils from ebay. All weights available up to 70-80wt and all is about same price with shipping. $6 for 2oz bottles and combined shipping available from most sellers.

Shock oil and diff oil are both silicon based, I experiment and mix diff oil and shock oil all the time to concoct custom wt oils.
The hard part is knowing just what weight you end up with in the mix. A little math is involved but you can mix and get it close if you’re diligent in you measurements and math.

I've tried AE shock oil, Losi shock oil, OFNA shock oil, and Racers Edge Shock oil. I can't tell a whole lot of difference between any of them. All of them are around 5-8 bux a bottle except the racers edge brand which (unless its changed since I last ordered a batch) are I believe $2.99 ea. For the price difference especially for bashers thats what I use.

Back