Pullstart string

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rossb

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I busted the string on my Picco 26 pullstart yesterday. It is pretty tough trying to pullstart these motors on a cold 30 degree F day.

I installed a new pullstart and I want to repair the old one as a backup. I disassembled it and the spring and case are in perfect condition. I just need to replace the string and rewind it. My LHS does not carry pullstart string and the only thing I could find on Tower Hobbies was string for a TRX2.5 motor. The TRX string shown in the picture looked thicker than mine and I am not sure if it would work.

Where are you guys getting pullstart string?

I think you would have to contact Ofna directly.

Associated makes one that i got for about 1.50 at my LHS. I'll see if they have more in stock tonight and let you know.

Someone suggesting trying to use cord from an old pair of mini-blinds. I am going to try that tonight.

I heard that also but I thought the cord for the mini blinds are too rough and would cause binding.

The 2nd time I broke the pullstart on my Collari .30, I rebuilt it using the cord from my WASP 28 pullstart and threw a shot of WD40 down the hole (someone here suggested that tip). Now it retracts very smoothly!

I fixed it using 80lb fishing line. I got a 125 yard roll from Wallmart for $4. That should be enough string to fix about 150 pull starts.

hmmm when i used 80 lb fishing line in my attempt it snapped on the first pull!

Wow, I did not expect 80lb line to break that easily. I got the idea from another forum, a few people had success with 60lb line. I don't think I have ever put 80lbs of force on my pullstart. I guess I will have to see if mine holds up if/when I install this backup pullstart.

Last edited:
I'm from the uk, and alot of people have been using bathroom cord with great results. and that was on a brand new rb 28

G unit

I've heard this bathroom cord mentioned before, what is it?

its the bathroom light cord that you pull in the bathroom. like this?? pic
588033.jpg
[/IMG]

I need to try something like that my pull start broke and its almost brand new.

If the 80lb line does break I will try to braid two strands and double up the line. The line is thin enough to do that. I would be very surprised if a doubled up 80lb fishing line did not hold up.

I am getting very curious. I think I might pull off my new pullstart and try out a doubled-up fishing cord equipped starter.

Thanks for posting that up gunit. I always wondered what the mysterious "bathroom cord" was.....

rossb, let us know if doubling up the line works. I have 99 yards of this stuff and no fishing pole to go with it!

I believe bathroom cord is special for venetian bathroom blinds, since it has to withstand the extreme conditions of getting moist all the time from the shower steam.
Check with Home Depot.

I re-strung it last night with two 30" pieces of the 80lb fishing line. I braided the line together into one piece. It looks and feels very strong and the pull/retract action is very smooth. I did not try it yet on the motor but I am confident that it will work just fine.

you can get nylon spools in different colors at home depot/lowes,etc..

i have a whole spool of nylon right here i used to replce my cord. it comes in colors as well. i have pink if you would like me to send you some i can. pm me your addy. its like carpenters chalk rope. braid nylon rope. Cannot be spliced. Can absorb sudden shock loads. Has good resistance to abrasion and will last five times longer than natural fiber ropes. Is rot proof and not damaged by oils, gasoline, marine growth or most chemicals.Strong, soft & lightweight Resistant to rot, abrasion, mildew - petroleum Supplies Has shock absorbing elasticity Solid braid stays round & works well in pulleys Color: natural silvery white
2319747.jpg

just go to the hd store and ask for nylon rope for carpenters chalk. the diameter is the same as pull cords.

Last edited:
did anyone figure out what to use?? i spent an hour last night rewinding a sprung .15 pull rope and putting the rope back in!! it worked fine untill i put the glow ingniter on it and it started firing.. then snap!!! i was like AAAUUUURRRHHGGGAHGHGEHERa'sdfjadspofhugpwtf!!! so now i need a new string.. at least the spring stayed in there this time!!