Pullstart repair

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopper2

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi All

Whilst searching the web in order to fix a friends pullstart, I noticed that there are plenty of explanations on how to carry out the procedure but very little visual guidance.

So with a little bit more searching I came across this:

http://rc411.com/pages/howto.php?howto=29&page=3

Very helpful and straightforward.

Hope it helps :)

hopper2

Nice will not find...I have one that will not reel back in, my boss has a pullstart that is messed up as well

Thanks

Nice will not find...I have one that will not reel back in, my boss has a pullstart that is messed up as well

Thanks

No problem insaneatvs. glad someone has found it as useful as I did. Even with the pictorial explanations, you still need a little practice to get the spring to sit just right.

Cheers :)

hopper2

Here's a vid on it as well:

Although, I do it quite a bit differently. I found a vid in the past with how I do it, but I can't seem to find it anymore.

I wind the spring without attaching it to the spool, then install the spring in the case. Then wind the rope on the spool, then finagle the spool into the case so it catches the spring.

His way might be easier if you drilled a small hole in the spool so you could put something in there to hold the spring in place while your dropping it into the case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a vid on it as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1_Y2ukDp4M

Although, I do it quite a bit differently. I found a vid in the past with how I do it, but I can't seem to find it anymore.

I wind the spring without attaching it to the spool, then install the spring in the case. Then wind the rope on the spool, then finagle the spool into the case so it catches the spring.

His way might be easier if you drilled a small hole in the spool so you could put something in there to hold the spring in place while your dropping it into the case.

Thanks for the vid olds97: thumbup:

Every little helps in this hobby, and the more information that we are armed with the easier it seems to be to sort out a problem :)

Cheers: cheers:

hopper2

its not a fun job but you certainly feel like you accomplished something when its over.

man I've never in my life of rc brought a new pull start if they brake ill do a home made job just re bend the spring a lot of playing around but it works and if my string brakes i use some other string i don't buy brand new parts unless it can be fixed another way ;););)

Try using bathroom light cord for ya next pull starter rope, or ya could use some adequit gauge / strength fishing line.

There ya go, two more things ya never thought of using !!!! :hehe:

Thanks

I had this problem on the weekend. I had pulled the cord too far and it would not retract. So, I was taking the screws out to replace the pull start and ZIP! It went straight back in.
This may not fix your problem but it did mine. Remove the screws holding the pull starter to the engine and see if that will loosen it to retract. Mine works fine now and it was free!

man i think pull starts just suck I've never had good luck with them when i try to rebuild them i jjust get frustraded:angry: and end up trhowing it across the room and try an hour later or so but i do usually end up getting it but now all my stuff is ROTO START its just great no more pull start

the spring is probably busted in the pullstart. u need another...

Depending on where it broke, you may be able to repair it anyway. I've fixed 3 or 4 that had the end break off. I just heated the end I needed to bend a bit with a torch, not red hot, just hot enough to kill the temper. Then bend it as needed and rewind/put back together.

Make sure once heated, that you let it cool slowly on it's own. If you quick cool it in water, it just makes it brittle and break.

You guys are lucky. The one-way bearing in mine is shot (amazing what breaks when you let the car sit on a shelf for over a year...) and since the part is discontinued, it's looking like I may need to buy a new engine just because of the stupid pull-start!

Back