Pull starter madness

• Thread starter MrSkeedleWeedle
  • Start date

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSkeedleWeedle

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
Hi. On my ftx hooligan nitro I have gone through like 2 pull starters. My engine seems to like a decent bit of fuel to get it started nice and easy and this causes higher compression but not crazy hard to pull just slightly harder. The bit on the pull starter where to one way bearing goes into is just plastic and the one way bearing is a nut on the end and it goes into the pull start. When there is any high compression and I pull the starter is just slips as it's made out of plastic. Is there anything I can do to prevent the plastic getting all messed up such as putting something in the pull start to stop it slipping around so easily? Sorry about how long that question is its just so hard to explain. Sorry for that.

Do you ever pre heat the engine? If not, try that net time. Engine should start a lot easier ..

Do you ever pre heat the engine? If not, try that net time. Engine should start a lot easier ..
Hi. The engine starts really easily it's just I usually slightly over prime it and this causes higher compression. I think the issue is these crappy plastic pull starters and what can I do to stop them getting damaged.

As far as i know all the pullstarters are plastic so I think it is just a problem you created for yourself.. :)
What you are creating is called hydrolock .(not higher compression..). And that kills pullstarters or one way bearings.. So you just have to learn to prime a little less.. :)

OK. I will equipment my new one that just came and I will get back to you soon and let you know. Thanks for your help

I hope my tips work for you.

Try and pre-heat the engine to make it easier to start..

You can use a blow dryer or a paint heat gun.

998574d1354283024-ti-brand-new-120v-230v-ac-engine-pre-heater-120v.jpg

You can try something like this, can be connected to the car battery .

You can also loosen the glow plug a hair to bleed off a little compression. It will spin MUCH easier. Once it starts remove the igniter and tighten the plug.