Pull start rope at its end

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juddo80

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I am new to the RC world and bought a dominator XP. While breaking the engine in only on my second run, I have foolishly pulled the rope too far to its end and it won't retract now. I have tried taking the screws out of the housing cover to take a look but there is not much room. Has anyone got some good advice on how to get the thing retracting again?

Last edited:
It wasn't foolish. Now you know. Take the motor off so you can remove the pull starter. Rotate the pulley to see if it retracts on it's own. If it don't, the spring is probably broken. You can take the spring out and look at it. If just the end of it broke off, you might be able to put a bend in the end and secure it back into the slot that it fits in and rewind it. (of which is going to be a challenge and you'll wish you had 3 hands.) Then you can put the rope back on and "try" to put it back together. If all this is more than you can do, look on Ebay for a new one. Pull starters are usually less than $30 depending on what motor. Good luck. And when you put your motor back on, put a piece of printer paper between the gears, hold them snug together, and tighten the motor mount bolts to get the proper distance between the gears.

Last edited:
And remember short quick pulls. I did this more then once when I got my truck.

Unless you are just completely broke dont even bother trying to rewind the pull start just buy a new one. That has to be one of the most frustrating things i have ever attempted!

Unless you are just completely broke dont even bother trying to rewind the pull start just buy a new one. That has to be one of the most frustrating things i have ever attempted!

yea hes right there defintly a pain in tha as*

yea hes right there defintly a pain in tha as*

+1. I've been tempted to buy one a couple times but always get it to work... till next time. I should really get something more reliable i use my car several times a week.

Thank you for all of your advice

Well peeps after slamming my head against a brick wall with this pully problem, I went down to the shop I bought it from yesterday and he took a look and found the pully was pretty stuffed.. Soooo he upgraded the pully and I also made the decision to purchase a jump box. Took it home and continued breaking it in and only a tank or 2 more and she should be ready boogy! Soooooo happy I have entered this hobby........... Wifes not so happy. Lol

Wife will get over it. Tell her you could be in the bar with your buddies or doing other naughty things instead of wasting all your time on these stupid trucks.

Back