Pro's and con"s of traxxas Slash 4wd vxl

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T-maxxlover14

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hey guys I'm thinking about buying a traxxas slash vxl 4wd and wanted to see what you have to say about it! should i buy one or should i not buy one. what are the pros and con's and do the pro's out wieght con that sort of thing. so let me know what you think i should do thanks

What up grades need to be done?
Can i race it?
What should i buy along with the truck if their is anything?

?s like that i would love to be helped out with

I would be buying the traxxas Slash ultimate If i do get one her is a link below
http://www.traxxas.com/products/models/electric/6807slash4x4ultimate

Last edited:
Id say there are really no cons to it at all. They are extremely durable in stock form. The are real easy to control too as they seem to be setup well out of the box. Your standard extras couldnt hurt to have on hand like spurs, drive lines and so on but not a big deal. They are imo probably the best buy out there for a good racer/basher that is still fairly affordable.

I have had my Slash for over 6 months now and the only thing I have broken has been a spur gear. If I had to say something bad all I can say about it is it is not quite as nimble as the 2 wheel drive Slash or the other short coarse trucks that have a center diff. Now you CAN install the center diff kit but now you have kinda limited yourself to 2s Lipo because they like to shell out on the power of a 3s. So all around basher heck yeah. Forgot to mention....they are a blast to drive in the rain!

Ya I'm thinking i might get the slash ultimate comes with a few extra's do you think its worth it or should i go with just a plain slash?

The extras are good for sure, they include the aluminum stuff like c hubs and such that are a good hop up, just dont ad any more aluminum other than whats included in the kit and you would be set.

I'm thinking once i get it i will do all rpm like anything rpm i can put on the truck is ganna go on it for sure.

Yeah RPM rules for sure. I do think aluminum has its place though.

i was thinking the traxxs aluminum shock towers would be a good fit and do you recomend a good heat sink or fan for the vxl motor because I'm sure it gets hot like my mini?

people have these @ our track and the only problem they are having with them is the spur gear going out and the motor mounts coming loose, and the front diff bearings going out on them.. and the swap out as much as the stock parts with RPM as they can..

I got the truck now its time for the build I'm thinking it will take about 3 to 4 weeks to build since I'm ordering everything off line and takes for ever to ship to keep my cost down as much as posible but I'm buying only qaulity parts for the build!!!! i will have to do some pics for every one and post for all to see.

RPM front a-arms and rear bearing carriers. I've broken 2 of the bearing carries and 3 a-arms since i got mine about month ago.

traction rolling? whats that

when you take a corner way to fast and the truck has to much traction, it causes the truck to roll over in the turn.

Oh okay that makes sence i didnt know it had a term for that thats kinda cool i learned something new today.

The slash rally roll bars help with the cornering grip and body roll BIG time! I’ve got the STRC front and rear aluminum shock towers on mine, and I love them. No flex at all.

I personally don’t like the center diff as a basher. They have more front axle bias. It makes sense for track racers; more power to the front helps pull the truck through corners. But getting it to wheelie is almost impossible. This also causes the front bearings to go out.
I went through 3 spur gears in 2 days. So now it’s has a Robinson racing hardened steel gear..... then it ate the motor pinion. The center diff experience and gear carnage happened under 3S power.
For suspension, I really like the traxxas GTR shocks; 3 hole piston in the front and 2 hole in the rear, 100wt shock oil in the rear and 80wt up front.
I also upgraded to the 2250 (I think) blue servo. It’s really quick and provides the power to turn the E revo 2.0 wheels/tires I’m running.

as for fan and heat sink, I’ve got all traxxas stuff. Considering mine is no longer 3S, I have a motor heat sink and fan laying around.
the only other thing I would say to get would be the Bluetooth module for your reciver. It allows you more tuning ability via the traxxas app.

spur pinions getting chewed is due to the traxxas gearbox poor design. I switched to the rpm.much better never eaten a gear since. also aluminum has no place except in a gear case in a rc .. rc are designed with fail points . when you eliminate 2 or more then thats built in fail point transfers to something else...the roll or traction roll can almost be stopped by going with a more offset rim. I use Losi sct rims. about a 6mm offset still get by in tech checks.

What gearbox do you speak of? With the 4x4 you have pinion and spur. That’s it. The debate about aluminum, carbon fiber, or plastics in RC will never end. At the end of the day, I think it depends on what your doing. Personally, rpm plastic is WAY to flexible for any kind of racing. I had rpm arms on my truck. And I can’t tell you how many times I replaced bearing trying to get rid of visible slop and wobble. Finally threw them in the trash where they belong and went with stock arms; slop all gone.

bashing on the other hand, going to stronger parts is almost required in some places. Take your truck to the skate park and try to get more air time than Tony hawk on a half pipe. Promise you a plastic chassis isn’t going to take to many non-perfect landings. Don’t have aluminum shock tops, consider your shocks top less paying your entrance fee.

different materials are your for different purposes.

Back