"Proper" Break-In Procedure?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpitFireV12RR

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Well, whats the "proper" way? I've heard that the manual that comes with the car should have the break-in procedure. I've heard from mnm from another site to do this:

• Mount your engine on a test stand. (optional)
• Install an RC airplane propeller. (optional)
• Run the engine rich for a few full tanks of fuel; 1/8 vehicles typically have 125cc fuel tanks, and 1/10 vehicles have 75cc tanks. Set the mixture needles so that the mixture is rich enough for the engine to run for an entire tank of fuel without stalling.
• Richen the fuel mixture (use the low-speed needle for this exercise) until the engine starts to splutter, then turn the needle back in the other direction about 1/8 turn. When the engine stops, make sure the piston is at the bottom of the stroke—not stuck at the top—and let the engine cool completely.
• Repeat this process four times, then install the engine in the car.
• Run the engine slightly rich for a couple of tanks. Slowly accelerate up to about 1/2 throttle, and then back it down. Repeat this at approximately 15-second intervals, being careful not to give it full throttle.
• After a couple of tanks running rich, start to lean the fuel mixture, checking both mixture settings, if you have a twin-needle carb.
• Start the car from a standstill and run it up to full throttle. Adjust the mixture needles for maximum performance and you're ready to run. Keep in mind that some engines may be broken in faster than others, so be patient.

So...if there are any others, let me hear them, please!

I have heard that breaking in a RC Car engine on a stand is a bad idea.

First what engine do you have and if the engien's manuel has a break-in procedure then do it that way.

The TRX 2.5(.15)...and yes, it does have a break in procedure(i wasn't sure if it's okay or not) but i thought you shouldn't break in you engine on a stand without LOAD? with a propeller, it will be working?

cool...but heat cycle sounds really expensive. Do you know how many 75cc tanks i can get out of a gallon off the top of your head?

okay...so then should i do traxxas's break-in process or should i do the heat-cycle?

Don't know... I've only had one traxxas engine (2.5 on a maxx) and that was 2 years ago... it never ran right. Hopefully, others can help you with that one.

okay...anyone else had a TRX 2.5 that could help me with this question?

Do it as Traxxas explains to do it in the manual. Being its traxxas mill they should know the best way to break in there engines

Back