Project Double Rust

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharliesTheMan

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
My step-dad was enjoying getting into RC's and learning about my trucks, so I decided to get him something that he could call his own. We're building a track here at the house, and we're getting ready to start holding club races at the LHS. I decided that he would do better with electric, that way he can learn how to drive and race without worrying about engine tuning, and as he learns more and more MAYBE he'll want nitro, but I think we're gonna keep him on electric for a while. Anyway, when I rac across two rustlers I knew it was perfect. I could get him the rustlers and then we could race and have a pretty even match up. That way, it would be up to the driver to win, not the car. I ordered new motors and ESC's for both units, and the full RPM treatment, as well as new wheels and tires. The rest will come later. I wanted Jack (my step-dad, we're really close, or else I wouldn't have bought him his own RC or be putting all this work into it) to have an RC that he could really be proud of when we went to the track or somewhere.

Here's a picture of my first parts orders that came in. It's about 1/3 of what I ordered, so hopefully Monday the rest will come.
Rustler001.jpg

Here the RPM bumper and A-Arms on one of the Rustys.
Rustler011.jpg

Here it is with the new wheels and tires. Wow what a difference changing the rolling stock can make. I LOVE these wheels and tires, and I may order another set just like em.
100_0377.jpg

100_0378.jpg

I only got one speed control in yesterday's shipment, still waiting on another ESC and 2 motors, hopefully Monday they will be here. I installed the one I got and it seems like it's making the stock motor run faster, but I'm going to have to wait till it drys up more outside to really check. I don't know if that's even possible.
Before
Rustler012.jpg

After
Rustler013.jpg

I know the ESC looks funny mounted that way, but I wanted to be able to access the screws in the RPM ESC mount so I can remove it for cleaning and maintenance without having to unstick and restick the ESC. I think I may put some screws in the mounting holes of the ESC to hold it securely.

Last edited:
looks good!
you're going to want to change out those tamiya plugs for deans. the tamiya plugs are not that great.

I think that's awesome that you got your step dad an r/c. I found out that my father-in-law was interested in getting an r/c too so I bought him a Mini MGT. It's for fathers day so it'll be a while till he gets it.. but I think he'll have a lot of fun with it. I can't wait. I'm sure you two will have a lot of fun.. especially with a track and all.

I ordered my deans connectors last week. I have a new motor and ESC going in both of them, so that's when I'm going to put the dean's on. In fact, I got the soldering gun fired up today and practiced solerding scraps of wire and stuff. I've still got quite a bit of practice yet to go. I haven't soldered anything in about 8 or 10 years. My grandmother used to have a stain glass shop and a business doing custom work, so I got plenty of time on old ironside when I was young.

That's looking good. How many projects have you got going?

Let see, Right now I'm mainly working on the Rustlers, the baja 5b SS, and of course getting into the spirit of racing as best I can with my T4 project. I was going to spend the day at the track but we've had a big storm here for a few days and that fresh clay would have been nasty.

These are my RC's so far:
Traxxas T-Maxx
HPI Savage X SS
HPI Baja 5b SS
2 Traxxas Rustlers
Associated RC10 T4

If I could play a soundtrack with my post, it would have to be "you got it bad" by usher.

Well some more of my parts came in. I had ordered so many seperate small parts that it was hard to keep up with what I had and what I needed, so now I've been able to take an inventory and start figuring out what I need to order next. Here's a few pictures of the stuff that came in. I got teh LRP quantum competition speed control and orion 11x2 motor, and a titan 12 turn to go with the XL-5 speed control that I installed Saturday. I also got some battery packs that came with a charger that I got for almost nothing, so I'm going to use them to practice my soldering on before I tear into the expensive stuff. If anyone needs a glow plug igniter sub C battery, let me know because I'll probly break one of these packs up and give away a few cells. 3300 nimh.
Rustlerparts4.jpg

Rustlerparts3.jpg

I'm about to eat supper and tear into something, I'll post pics as I make progress. I'm new at all this so progress will be slow. Also, some good stuff came in for my racing project, but you'll have to check out that thread.

looking good charles...and yes that would be a good soundtrack for you.

Where did you get those battery packs at?

-Michael

which battery packs? The GP cells or the venom battery packs?

GP cells - where did you get them? TeamFastEddy?

-Michael

I bought them like you see them. I actually bought a charger when I came up on a good deal and the batteries were included.

I think the previous owner had them made up like that, since there's a Deans connector and the plug is in the center of the pack.

Back