Problem with TMAXX starting FAST need to use in 1 hour!!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3m3tid

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
hey so I'm pretty young and I'm new to these. i got this TMAXX from my uncle and it hadnt been run in a while. so actually all i had to do was release it from TDC (force the flywheel to go) then it ran. so then i shut it off...well actually id died on me, so i just left it off. then i went to start it 20 mins later after doing a couple jobs and it wouldnt start. the flywheel would just stick after a couple turns around. so then i took it apart and cleaned/wd40'd the 1 way and clutch. now when i go to use the EZ-start on it it just spins. the flywheel spins but the clutch/spur gear doesn't....did i miss something putting back together? please help i wanna bring it to this baseball game by 11 today!!! got 1:30 mins to help me
lol not really i just wanna have it fixed so thanks in advanced

the clutch and spur shouldnt spin when you're starting it. You may need a new glowplug

ya i think I'm just needing to get it started i was thinking that it was spinning before when i was starting it so ya...also the primer on my gas tank broke (its pretty old truck) and its kinda hard to get gas into the engine...any suggestions?

If the bearing was on backwards, it would lock. I think it sounds like the OWB and the shaft need to be cleaned with DA. I believe it's slipping, probably due to the WD-40.

learning to fix a tmaxx in an hour is like becoming president at 14. :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

for priming it you can put your finger over the exhaust untill fuel reachs carb

Ralph I think you're off your meds today. If the engine were to start with the owb on backward it would lock,but the starter will just spin and it won't start. WD-40 will not make it slip either. I use WD-40 to spray mine(through a small access hole in the backplate) to get it to grab.

OOps, you're right. The starter would spin if the OWB was backwards.
Taking my meds right now....ah, much better.
Check the centrifugal tension on the WD-40 straw...ooh, I shouldn't have taken that one yet.

However, I'm still leaning toward a slipping OWB. Maybe it wasn't cleaned to begin with, or old oil loosened up from the fresh fuel.

no i cleaned the owb and its spinning the shaft...actually i dont think its any of these... fuel is getting to the engine becouse i crank it with no glow plug and stuff comes out(assuming its fuel)...so i was at my baseball game and started cranking it...then someones like wat the .... is flying all over the place. I couldnt see it couse of my angle. i had a friend crank it (this is all with the EZ start and the glow plug in) and there was stuff coming out of it. it was right below the cooler fins and so i removed moter wires and stuff and then looked down there. i could see the top of the shaft for the pisten poking out of its socket... i must not have pushed it all the way back in when i reassemble....although i never did take it out but maybe cranking it did that... so then i go to take off the cooler fins to push it down and guess what.... the ......ing screws where striped...or else it was the screw driver thing but that looks like its in pretty good shape. so only 2 of the 4 screws where striped but thats enough to hold it on there good.... so what are some suggestions? take a saw to it and buy new cooler fin/screws....go to the hobby shop and exchange it for a new one? or just upgrade?(its a .15 and its a classic TMAXX)

Sounds like quite the dilemma you've got there. I would trade it for a 2.5 or 3.3. The only trouble there is you'll have to get a pro .15 -2.5 conversion kit. You'll want to get a new tank as well, that little primer plunger will cause you some problems. Do you have any NEW fuel, fuel line or glow plugs? If you want to have fun with this thing then it's going to cost you. I would choose carefully, if the truck is in bad shape you'll end up with a money pit. You could just get a new pro-15 too, but you might end up getting nickel and dimed to death.

If you have a pump primer on the tank you need to get a new tank without a primer. You already have a probable air leak with the broken primer, and you'll only have trouble till you get the proper fuel flow.

actually everything works fine....the primer doesn't even do anything.... i just put a finger over the exaust and it pumps it right in...second i do have some repair items(thank god i have another spur gear or w/e i just ground this one up...) but some are not in packages and stuff. some are old and bent up from when my uncles freind smashed it into a wall at full speed and some are in the packages like the spur gear. so the only problem I've had is that it quits when i let it idle for ore than a min. it also is not very consistant...i blame these on the fuel mixture. first thing tomarrow I'm gonna tune it. and yes I'm willing to spend money on it (gonna get some spare parts at hobby store when I'm in tone next) but for now not a whole new engine. this thing is sweet! not i just gotta build a ramp for it :D thanks for all your help...will probly keep posting stuff on here though:first_place:

edit: and the broken primer is just the bottom of the primer. it broke when i was cleaning the fuel tank, then i had to get all the pieces out but theres no leak easy just to put finger over the exaust and it fires.

Last edited:
Back