problem with engine dying after a while

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTR4000

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
hi,

i've got a picco .26 engine and it ran great during break-in. I'm now on my 6th tank and all of a sudden it just dies after taking off the glow heater or pressing on the throttle.

I've got no clue why this is happening and I thought I'd see what you guys thought. I havn't touched the needles since break-in, but do you think the LSN needs adjusting.

I'm new to nitro! :dance:

thanks

First look to see if you have a leak in the tank or in the fuel lines. Onece you make sure it all is air tight come back and I will try to assist further. First guess if there is no air leaks is the idle is slightly low. Also always try a new plug at first sign of problems. Its amazing what a new plug does.

Originally posted by PTR4000
hi,

i've got a picco .26 engine and it ran great during break-in. I'm now on my 6th tank and all of a sudden it just dies after taking off the glow heater or pressing on the throttle.

thanks

sounds like a perfect example of a bad glow plug. 6 tanks after break in is past when a plug would normally go bad. change the plug, and let us know how that works out.

thanks for the replies!

humboldtblazer, I checked the tank/tank head and blew through the exhaust line and everything seemed to be air tight.

Nitroaddict, good thing you reminded me about the plug because I'd forgotten about that (btw, I'm using mccoy8). I changed it and the engine now idles ok but as soon as I press on the throttle it dies.

The 8 is a cold plug and if you use 20% nitro you might want to try the MC9 or the MC59 which I use and like. You are retarding the timing with a cold plug.

correction the 8 is medium to cold and the 9 is cold so try a MC59 which is a hot plug. Sorry for the misinformation.

Last edited:
I'm using 10% byron's fuel (that's all my lhs has) with the mc8. So humboldtblazer, do you think I should adjust the LSN and see what happens?

Oh, and what about the OS 8 plugs? Are they like the mc8's?

thanks.

Last edited:
the OS8 is a hot plug.

when it stalls, just it abrumptly quit, or does it spit and gurgle then quit?

No, it cuts off all of a sudden after I press on the throttle for about 5 secs or so. Before putting a new glow plug in, the engine would slowly come to a halt while idling. I could here the rumbling slowly decreasing until it would finally quit.

:shrug:

usually - if an engine quits suddenly, everytime u hit the throttle, it is too lean. before u adjust the settings though, fire it up, and make sure the fuel is getting into the carb. if u can see fuel traveling throught the line, then put the carb settings back to the 'factory break-in settings' as per your engine's instruction manual, then begin to tune from there. kewl?

thanks man..I'll give it a try tomorrow morning and then let you know what happens.

thanks for the replies!
(btw, I'm using mccoy8). I changed it and the engine now idles

So where did we get OS NA?

Oh, and what about the OS 8 plugs? Are they like the mc8's?

thanks.

right there, blazer bro. u just killed a kitten

Aside from the lean condition that NA has addressed and the known bad quantity of glo plugs that do not usually survive the break in process, check to make sure you get the right length of plug. It might be a very obvious thing to overlook, but it can make all the difference.

I had problems with one of my engines and the glo plugs and needle settings were not the problems according to everything I knew. I then asked a couple of questions and re-checked my manual for the engine in question. Turned out that it was the plug...not the flavor, but the length. Some big block engines need "long" plugs to run right.

Just some food for thought.

Oh...and most needle settings that the manuals talk to are driven towards 20% nitro. If you are using the 10% as you have mentioned, you may need to richen up the settings a little more than expected to get a good performance from the engine.

Funny you mention the plugs. I've been thinking about how to identify whether or not I am running advanced timing or not. Ideally, wouldnt we want ignition of the fuel to occur at about -8 to -12 degrees of 'top dead center' ?

I'm thinking HOT HOT HOT plugs will help this effect. Mediums might creat a neutral timing while cold will allow it to load up with more fuel before ignition.

Man, I love getting lost in this.......

I have something to toss out there about this question.. If it's a plug problem, could you not just leave the ignitor on and give it throttle to see if it dies. If not, the plug isn't staying hot enough to keep the truck running right?? And if it does die, it would tend to be on the fuel side??? I'm just throwing out questions....

Thats correct Mugen Racer! I would run with that. Its a quick and easy test.

I took it to the lhs today and the guy there suggested that I idle it for a while before pressing on the throttle. That didn't help. So I leaned out the lsn a bit and the idle screw and voila! So far so good.

Thanks for the help guys :worship:

Re: Re: problem with engine dying after a while

Originally posted by Nitroaddict

sounds like a perfect example of a bad glow plug. 6 tanks after break in is past when a plug would normally go bad. change the plug, and let us know how that works out.
You only get 6 tanks out of a glow plug??? I have yet to change the glow plug in my Savage that came stock with it and have over 3 gallons of fuel through it.

Re: Re: Re: problem with engine dying after a while

Originally posted by El Pirata
You only get 6 tanks out of a glow plug??? I have yet to change the glow plug in my Savage that came stock with it and have over 3 gallons of fuel through it.

man thats one crazy plug, lol. i get plenty of run time out of my plugs in normal conditions - but during break in - i usually have to replace the plugs shortly afterwards. i guess its different for every engine though.

Back