Printer sabotage?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolex

Hoof Hearted
In Memoriam
Supporter
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Flying
I have the Canon Pixma MP530 all in one printer, fax, scanner and copier. A beautiful machine, till now.
It's thirsty for ink, and rather than pay another $52 for a set of ink tanks I decided to purchase from an outside manufacturer on the internet for $12, or about $3 a tank. I've done that with other printers in the past and can't tell a difference in quality and had no problems.
This unit is barely a year old and was only getting it's 3rd tank of red and blue, but I needed to take the electronic chip from the old tank and click it onto the new one. When I installed the new tank I had a warning on screen that I was using an ink other than Canon's, and if I continued I would void the warranty. (No doubt the chip has a memory and knew it was being reinstalled after reading empty) Since there was no warranty left, I had to click to accept that, then click to continue. The printer will not give an ink level on the new tanks either, and the next time I turned on the printer I got a pop up saying that there was a problem with an unidentified device attached to a USB port.
The computer can not find or identify the printer, even though I get the chime for the USB device when I turn it on or off. I've disconnected, reconnected, uninstalled and reinstalled the program and drivers and get the same thing. When I turn it on, it goes through it's cleaning and setup process and the LED screen on the printer shows that it's ready.
I'm convinced that reusing a cartridge chip has a program associated with it that killed this unit. If that's correct, I will NEVER buy another item from Canon.
So, what are the possibilities of this?

I don't know if you knew this or not but...you could have just taken the original tanks into Walgreen's or a Cartridge World (if one's near by) and had them refilled for 10-15 bucks...

Read this and maybe it'll help ya.

Wow, thanks for that link. That happened before. If you ran out of ANY color, you couldn't even print text files or use the machine.
Now, because it refuses to acknowledge a different tank, (it worked fine the first time) the message I get when I turn it on is "Windows does not recognize a USB device."
I paid $179 when it first came out, and I now have a huge paperweight.
I already wrote the details on Canon's review page, now we'll see if they choose to show it. I'll also be adding the info to any other product review sites I can find out there.
It's like telling you that any fuel other than Traxxas Top fuel in your brand new Revo will stop the engine, the easy start and the radio control from working.
What an intense rip off. NEVER AGAIN, Canon!

By the way, not all tanks are refillable. These were not. Either way, if they were, the chip would already have the message that it was empty once before and the same thing would have happened.

have you tried new tanks to see if its really dead? try uninstalling it from the printer list, then delete the usb entry in the device manager. reboot to safe mode and delete the spool folder at c:\windws\system32, then reboot and go back to your printer list, click file, then server properties, go to the driver tab, and delete the printer entry there.

start over like you just bought the printer. insert the cd and follow directions.

Learned my lesson with Cannon a long time ago! Their printers are terrible from my experience. The cameras seem to be alright, but printers are no bueno.

Beason, last night I did all but delete the spool folder. I'll give your advise a shot tomorrow. I just don't want to think about it any more today.

Yeah, my MFC does the same thing! It becomes a boat anchor if ONE of the cartridges is low/empty. I have a Brother MFC 240C.. nice printer and all, just HATE that flaw.. wish some one would rewrite the firmware to bypass this.....

Even if you set it for greyscale printing to do text only, it spews ink in the cleaning process when you turn it on. You only want it to print black but it will clean all the nozzles anyway. It has red, blue, yellow and black for color printing, and a separate double wide tank of black just for text. If it was used ONLY for text, I'd have to keep color tanks on backup to replace the ink used in the startup process.

Piss on the Canon and get an Epson.

Auto programmed electronic suicide.
FORCED to purchase pricey inks.

It cost me, but the Canon is history and I now have a Brother. Found good reviews on it and caught it on sale for 50 off 199 at my favorite store, Office Depot.

anything i ever buy electronic wise will come from www.newegg.com love the site and there prices rock..

sorry to hear about that canon printer but you way better off i ruined two canons very shortly. And went back to good ole hp

Back