Possible to run dual motors on Traxxas 8s ESC?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1r0nf15t

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all. I have recently been gifted a Traxxas 8s ESC for a 1987 Tamiya Clodbuster build of mine without realizing the clod has 2 motors. My main question is if it's possible at all to use this ESC with dual batteries and run dual motors either brushless or brushed. I would just like to interpret the ESC. Thank you for any information!

Screenshot_20221218_215230_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20221218_215253_Photos.jpg

images (2).jpeg

aint running twin brushless with any esc. id run 2 esc with brushless motors. you can run twin brushed .
clod thunder tech 1.5.jpg

The Traxxas 8s esc can run dual batteries but it can't run dual motors. Also it is a brushless esc. It is a 8s esc by running 2 4s lipos. I think you can run it at 6s by running 2 3s lipos. From what I remember the clodbuster is 1/10 and I think 8s is way too much for 1/10, 4s would be better.

aint running twin brushless with any esc. id run 2 esc with brushless motors. you can run twin brushed .View attachment 157028
But if I were to run 2 escs, how would I link both to one receiver?
The Traxxas 8s esc can run dual batteries but it can't run dual motors. Also it is a brushless esc. It is a 8s esc by running 2 4s lipos. I think you can run it at 6s by running 2 3s lipos. From what I remember the clodbuster is 1/10 and I think 8s is way too much for 1/10, 4s would be better.
Would it be beneficial to see if I can make some sort of 4wd system for it? Because I was planning on going 4s with two 2s.

But if I were to run 2 escs, how would I link both to one receiver?

5 Pcs JR/Futaba Style Servo 1 to 2 Y Harness Leads Splitter Cable Male to Female Extension Lead Wire for RC Models Airplane 7cm https://a.co/d/3xaUnhO

Would it be beneficial to see if I can make some sort of 4wd system for it? Because I was planning on going 4s with two 2s.

Are you asking if you can convert the truck to use one motor and a drivetrain to drive the front axle? If so, that is a solid axle truck, with the motors on the axle. You would have a LOT of work in modding that, and by the time you got done you wouldn't have Anything resembling a Clodbuster. Can you not just get the OEM ESC for it?

or any dual brushed motor ESC for that matter since it has brushed motors in it.

5 Pcs JR/Futaba Style Servo 1 to 2 Y Harness Leads Splitter Cable Male to Female Extension Lead Wire for RC Models Airplane 7cm https://a.co/d/3xaUnhO

Are you asking if you can convert the truck to use one motor and a drivetrain to drive the front axle? If so, that is a solid axle truck, with the motors on the axle. You would have a LOT of work in modding that, and by the time you got done you wouldn't have Anything resembling a Clodbuster. Can you not just get the OEM ESC for it?
Yeah that's exactly what I was asking. That's unfortunate. It had a novak in it and it got fried. Like i said I was gifted this esc and would like to at least utilize it. I only have a Triple X SCT with a VXL 3s in it i figured it was way too much for that thing. Thank you for the information!

it can be run on 4 cells/6 cells or 8 cell. have fun, Id drop that in my 1/6 scale drag car that I run on 4 cells only..Stuck at 156 mph at that speed if I go any faster the down force spins my car offline
yellow gtpv2.jpg

I run 2 ESC in my rig, one for the motor, and one for the front winch, one for the motor is set up normal, the second ESC has the red wire pulled from the plug, leaving the black and white, this is all that's needed, plug that, in to a spare channel on the rx, in my case, the second ESC motor wires, go to my winch power wires.

317745546_872706290413848_1697922528981979252_n.jpg

Last edited:
I actually think you could run two smaller brushless motors off that ESC so long as the amerage doesn't exceed the rating of the ESC. The lowest voltage it can work with is 14.8 volts (4s) so you would have to run two 4s motors, or higher, and then you would have to connect each of the A, B, and C motor wires in parallel (splice each one) to each separate motor. The ESC wont know the difference and both motors would have to be matched (same exact motors) to work well. In the end its probably not worth the expense considering what its going into.

That's just about the wrongest ESC for that truck.

You can get a hobbywing 880 cheap, it has dual outputs built in and will be more than enough for any brushed motors that fit in that build. It runs on 2-4s, I'd probably go with 3s, depending on the motors and gearing

I actually think you could run two smaller brushless motors off that ESC so long as the amerage doesn't exceed the rating of the ESC. The lowest voltage it can work with is 14.8 volts (4s) so you would have to run two 4s motors, or higher, and then you would have to connect each of the A, B, and C motor wires in parallel (splice each one) to each separate motor. The ESC wont know the difference and both motors would have to be matched (same exact motors) to work well. In the end its probably not worth the expense considering what its going into.

There's nothing keeping the motors' timing synchronized, it wouldn't work. You can run multiple brushed motors off a brushed ESC, in either series or parallel provided the current draw won't fry the ESC, because they do their own commutation mechanically. A brushless ESC handles the commutation, so separate motors won't work.

Back