Possible fix to wheel wobble with 17mm adapters on threaded axles...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olds97_lss

RCTalk VIP
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Well, I have a revo that was a slayer that came with OFNA 17mm adapters. After converting it to a revo and running larger MT wheels/tires it became fairly evident that since there is nothing but the threads of the axle supporting the end of the wheel hub that wear and slop soon develop.

This causes the wheels to wobble a lot and your steering changes as well as you toe-in and camber. So, I ordered a new set of traxxas 17mm hex's off ebay, but while waiting, I thought I'd try something first. Since my hex's are already worn and sloppy, I figured the worst I could do was ruin them.

I bought 10 5mm standard nuts at my local hardware store. I screwed them all onto a long 5mm bolt, with enough bolt to put it in the chuck of my drill. Put the drill in a vice, then spent the next hour grinding them down to be 6mm OD "bushings" with 5mm threads. It took 2 per axle, so I only needed 8.

I also bought a 6mm bit from the store and drilled my worn hubs out fully to 6mm (vs just half that it was originally). With the bushings in place, there is almost no slop at all. Hopefully, they don't work themselves off. I did put locktight gel on them as I screwed them onto the axle.

I figured going with steel nuts would prove to last longer than using aluminum. Even though aluminum would have been much faster to grind down.

Pics to show you what I'm talking about:
Nut/end result bushing comparison:
2010-0611-RevoAxleBushingCompare01.jpg

One on the axle:
2010-0611-RevoAxleBushingCompare02.jpg

Two on the axle:
2010-0611-RevoAxleBushingCompare03.jpg

Hopefully this will keep that slop at bay. Would probably also work on my aftershock since it's running the same hubs in a similar way. I don't drive it much anymore, so the slop hasn't had a chance to show itself.

No... more rudimentary than that...

I keyed the bolt into the chuck of my drill, wrapped velcro around the trigger of the drill to a nice mild speed, put the drill in a vice, then leaned on the nuts with a flat steel file. Took a while.

I've used similar methods to make shoulder bolts.

Nice fix, I had the same issues with the Ofna hexes on my Revo.

Ran it today for the first time and it's odd how much that wobble caused handling issues with general driving. Even for a basher like me, it was quite noticeable. Straight line shots improved dramatically. Well worth the effort. Kind of sucks that I picked up a second set of traxxas hubs... guess they will look nice sitting in my parts bin.

Now I just need to figure out a better roll bar. With a BB in that thing, I busted a fin on the engine tonight. Also snapped the back off the rear skid plate. I caught it before I lost the pins. Stupid integy... figured $20 would hold up a bit longer than a gallon or two of fuel. I still have the stock plate, but it will thrash as well running at the skatepark. Would be nice if that part wasn't so damn molded and I'd put a steel plate over it to be the wear item. Make pretty sparks at night. ;)

so i guess iam not the only one in need of a lathe.

Meh... for what little stuff I'd need one for... not worth the hassle. But would make things easier I'm sure.

Back