Portland metro

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GPdori740

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
This is a long shot, but is anyone on here into HPI nitro drift cars and also in Portland, OR, or surrounding areas?? I'm looking for someone to tandem with. if you're from here then you know there's no official place to run them so its parking lot setups. i know some good lots.

I have a HPI nitro 3 drift rtr set up and ready to go.
I am also almost done with a custom nitro drift build.

I have multiple sets of tires ready to go.
typeR1.jpg

chassis update3.jpg

chassis update4.jpg

Welcome. Love your collection. I have a nitro rs4 3 ev0, nitro rs4 3, and building a es4 3 something. I might try a drift conversion.

Welcome. Love your collection. I have a nitro rs4 3 ev0, nitro rs4 3, and building a es4 3 something. I might try a drift conversion.
Thank you. you've got quite a line up yourself. the drift conversion i am making is for a Redcat Lightning STR (nitro). essentially i am building a "Stage-D" kit. i have the aluminum main chassis finished, and am waiting on a carbon fiber plate to be delivered so i can start the upper deck.
any chance you are from oregon or washington?? 😄

@The_RC_Dude is in the Seattle area. Looks to be a few hours from you though, but he has a lot of nitro stuff.
sweet, nitro stuff like what? is it a shop? track? the stuff i am making is custom and cannot be purchased. Seattle is about a 3.5 hour drive from where i am. a little bit of a jaunt, but in the name of RC, its well within reason😁

sweet, nitro stuff like what? is it a shop? track? the stuff i am making is custom and cannot be purchased. Seattle is about a 3.5 hour drive from where i am. a little bit of a jaunt, but in the name of RC, its well within reason😁
He is a member here. But actually, I am not sure what all he has. I may have been thinking of one of the other guys here.

He is a member here. But actually, I am not sure what all he has. I may have been thinking of one of the other guys here.
oh haha well shoot i just sent him a message lol oh well, we will see what he says😆

Thank you. you've got quite a line up yourself. the drift conversion i am making is for a Redcat Lightning STR (nitro). essentially i am building a "Stage-D" kit. i have the aluminum main chassis finished, and am waiting on a carbon fiber plate to be delivered so i can start the upper deck.
any chance you are from oregon or washington?? 😄
Florida. Dont think we could be any farther. 🤣

One day I hope to make carbon fiber parts.

haha nope, that is the furthest for sure!😅

carbon fiber shouldn't be too difficult to work with. i haven't used it yet for anything, just aluminum. i read cutting it with certain saws can make it chip/fray. i have dremel tool #3000 and dremel tool's "plunge router" and a good assortment of hand files. pretty sure you'll want a respirator too when using the dremel tool and also keep the dust/shavings off the skin.

Last edited:

carbon fiber shouldn't be too difficult to work with. i haven't used it yet for anything, just aluminum. i read cutting it with certain saws can make it chip/fray. i have dremel tool #3000 and dremel tool's "plunge router" and a good assortment of hand files. oretty sure youll want a respir
I heard respirator is a must, the cuttings will irritate skin like fiberglass, and the dust on electric motors goes boom. 😮🤣

If I dont got it, my old man does. Band saws, lathes, drill press, mini mill, and a 3d pinter. Nothing to brag about, but if I get off my lazy axx I can have something halfway decent. 😁

I plan on getting a Cen F450 and making it rwd with Fords twin I bean front suspension. Fords are too lose for my liking, but the twin I beam is something.

Of you make some parts, post up! You may slso be able to sell on ebay. Rs4 cf and aluminum parts can cost a whole car fast. 😁

carbon fiber shouldn't be too difficult to work with. i haven't used it yet for anything, just aluminum. i read cutting it with certain saws can make it chip/fray. i have dremel tool #3000 and dremel tool's "plunge router" and a good assortment of hand files. oretty sure youll want a respir
When cutting CF, make sure you wear a respirator, and a damn good one. Not one of those cheap ass paper masks. To be safe, I would recommend the 3M full face mask respirator. Carbon fiber shreds into teeny tiny little fragments when cut, and they float on the slightest breeze and go EVERYWHERE! It is very bad to breath it into your lungs, because once it's there, it's there for good. You might cut the poop in your garage, and two days later get a piece in your eye while in your bathroom. If carbon fibers get in your eye, it is near impossible for the doc to find them and remove them. At least that is how it felt. And the whole time you will be sitting there begging him to hurry up and find it while he launches a technical assault on your eye with a host of fancy equipment. Experience talking ;) It was the worst thing I ever got in my eyes, ever. And it was just one small fleck. I got two blasts of fine particle board dust in my eyes years ago (imagine a handful of particle board talcum powder, thrown into your eyes). That wasn't poop compared to carbon fiber lol.

Carbon fiber cuts best with carbide double-cut burrs. Drills will tear chunks in it if you aren't really careful. The best drills are called dreamers, which are pointed reamers basically.

Last edited:
thank you both for the input! that confirms my readings, i will definitely get a good face respirator and long gloves. to have access to that equipment would be amazing! a mini lathe and a milling machine are definitely on my list of must haves.
that sounds like a great idea for the CEN! i think working on and improving RCs is half the fun if not more haha sounds like a fun project.

when i get my chassis cleaned up and polished i will definitely post it! carbon fiber upper deck as well. i should get the CF by mid next week, but i gotta make the template first.
selling some parts would be pretty rad! good parts cost good money! especially for a discontinued car that no longer has parts support

When cutting CF, make sure you wear a respirator, and a damn good one. Not one of those cheap ass paper masks. To be safe, I would recommend the 3M full face mask respirator. Carbon fiber shreds into teeny tiny little fragments when cut, and they float on the slightest breeze and go EVERYWHERE! It is very bad to breath it into your lungs, because once it's there, it's there for good. You might cut the poop in your garage, and two days later get a piece in your eye while in your bathroom. If carbon fibers get in your eye, it is near impossible for the doc to find them and remove them. At least that is how it felt. And the whole time you will be sitting there begging him to hurry up and find it while he launches a technical assault on your eye with a host of fancy equipment. Experience talking ;) It was the worst thing I ever got in my eyes, ever. And it was just one small fleck. I got two blasts of fine particle board dust in my eyes years ago (imagine a handful of particle board talcum powder, thrown into your eyes). That wasn't poop compared to carbon fiber lol.

Carbon fiber cuts best with carbide double-cut burrs. Drills will tear chunks in it if you aren't really careful. The best drills are called dreamers, which are pointed reamers basically.
Great to know. I plan on using an air cleaner and vacuum.
thank you both for the input! that confirms my readings, i will definitely get a good face respirator and long gloves. to have access to that equipment would be amazing! a mini lathe and a milling machine are definitely on my list of must haves.
that sounds like a great idea for the CEN! i think working on and improving RCs is half the fun if not more haha sounds like a fun project.

when i get my chassis cleaned up and polished i will definitely post it! carbon fiber upper deck as well. i should get the CF by mid next week, but i gotta make the template first.
selling some parts would be pretty rad! good parts cost good money! especially for a discontinued car that no longer has parts support
I spent atleast 400 in the last 6 months getting spare rs4 parts...... 😐😮 I'm glad mine is a shafty. The super and belt cars would bankrupt me.
Cutterpillar..... how cute. 🤣

i am going to try to rig up my shop vac to the stool i use to make dremel cuts. I'm hoping a hole in the middle of the stool with the hose attached on the bottom will pull the dust into the vacuum..either that or rig up the hose somewhere it collects the dust right away. i didnt think the CF through well enough, i didnt realize the particles were THAT hazardous. I'm doing this in my garage where other people may go and potentially track it through the house.
i read last night someone cuts it with a dremel flex hose under running water. i have a wash sink. what do you think about that?

@The_RC_Dude is in the Seattle area. Looks to be a few hours from you though, but he has a lot of nitro stuff.
Kevin, with a sad heart, I have to confirm that you are thinking of another member! We've been to Portland before several times, but I'm sorry to disappoint you, you were probably thinking of someone else. As much as I'd like to, I don't have a lot of Nitro stuff, in fact, I only have 2 electrics, no Nitros at all. I haven't even seen a Nitro IRL yet! Nitro just seems too time-consuming, even for me (I like to tinker with my cars), and just not practical! The cool factor is definitely there though! Were you thinking of maybe @cbaker65 or @tntpoof? They aren't in the PNW IIRC though.

I am in Seattle though!
I sure hope I'm a member! 🤣🤣 Remember, to see what rigs a member has, click on the profile, go to "about", scroll down, and hopefully the person in question has listed their cars. I have, I know you already know this stuff, just a reminder!
Lol AND I don't have a shop! (And obviously, I don't have a private track 🤣🤣) Freaking money you know...

Last edited:
I haven't even seen a Nitro IRL yet! Nitro just seems too time-consuming, even for me (I like to tinker with my cars), and just not practical! The cool factor is definitely there though!
I'm quite sorry, but after careful consideration, we have come to the conclusion that one may NOT refer to themselves as The_RC_Dude, when one has never even seen a nitro rig irl. So we will need to change your screen name, maybe something along the lines of An_Electric_RC_Guy 😁

I'm quite sorry, but after careful consideration, we have come to the conclusion that one may NOT refer to themselves as The_RC_Dude, when one has never even seen a nitro rig irl. So we will need to change your screen name, maybe something along the lines of An_Electric_RC_Guy 😁
When I saw "I'm quite sorry" I was like "Oh crap, no, don't tell me you're gonna unpin the thread!" 🤣 Oh come on, I didn't see any fine print when I entered my username! 🤣 And my username is STILL VALID AND TRUE, because I RC and I'm a dude, so thus, we have come to the conclusion that I am a "RC Dude", but not ANY old RC dude, but the one and only, "The_RC_Dude"!

" So we will need to change your screen name, maybe something along the lines of An_Electric_RC_Guy 😁" Humph, no! I'll wipe that smug grin right off your face if you try! 🤣 I actually might use that username if I ever make a second account...darn it! 🤣 I'm pretty sure you're joking about all this...right? lol I'll just go to a LHS, ask to see a Nitro, then you won't be able to say anything!

Edit: Actually, I thought about it, and I HAVE SEEN A NITRO BEFORE! Legit, a few weeks ago, my friend's neighbor showed us his RCs, and he had 2 nitros, one of them was a shelf queen, all kitted out with shiny metal parts! Ha, now admit defeat! This whole thing is just hilarious...I need a smug emoji or arms-folded over chest emoji for the reply reaction thing! (I actually would like it if there were more emojis I could use for reacting to a comment)

Thank you for the clarification RC_Dude, seems quite a few questions needed to be answered XD no track, no shop, yes seattle, no nitro, got it^-^
its a shame there aren't any tracks around. i search on google once every couple months and look at the list of tracks that used to be alive and try to find them on google maps lol. only one i can see and it is private/no longer in use.

Update on the carbon fiber part: i received my plate (2mm x 12" x 12") it was from a composites company (rock west composites) found on Lowes website, it seems to be good quality. i can see that the weave is 3D, and can see on the sides it is not a plastic filler with carbon fiber laminate top.
i have my upper deck designed and cut out on paper, just need the remaining safety supplies i dont already have.

-HEPA filter for shop vac.
-Shop vac hose for routing exhaust out the window.
-3M P100 respirator.

Thank you for the clarification RC_Dude, seems quite a few questions needed to be answered XD no track, no shop, yes seattle, no nitro, got it^-^
its a shame there aren't any tracks around. i search on google once every couple months and look at the list of tracks that used to be alive and try to find them on google maps lol. only one i can see and it is private/no longer in use.

Update on the carbon fiber part: i received my plate (2mm x 12" x 12") it was from a composites company (rock west composites) found on Lowes website, it seems to be good quality. i can see that the weave is 3D, and can see on the sides it is not a plastic filler with carbon fiber laminate top.
i have my upper deck designed and cut out on paper, just need the remaining safety supplies i dont already have.

-HEPA filter for shop vac.
-Shop vac hose for routing exhaust out the window.
-3M P100 respirator.
Yup, that's it! Don't forget, yes to 'loves RC"! 🤣🤣 That's a bummer man, can you try tennis courts or smooth parking lots? Tennis courts may be a bit small, but they're smooth, and you can practice your tight drifting skills! Could you also try drifting in a gym? Maybe if you ask nicely, you could arrange to have a little session before/after hours? Just use your plastic tires so you don't go leaving rubber marks, you won't be seeing that gym again if you do! 🤣🤣

Oh, and also do this to your shop vac! You may want to make sure there aren't any innocent walkers that get sprayed by CF dust, and tell your nearby neighbors to close some windows! They may like you a bit less if they see CF dust drifting into their home!

Back