Pleaseeee Help this clueless mum birthday shop for her son!! Electric Monster Truck Advise Needed.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ijusthappen

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hello helpful person/s,
I'm going to start this by saying
I know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about Radio controlled Cars and only a little more about normal cars!!! Sooooo,
I'm so glad you're reading this :)

Here's the drama; Teenagers never know what they want, right? Or quite often they surprise you, aswell as themselves and all of a sudden "just know" - right?
Well that's what's happened, my son finally knows what he wants!!! For he's 18th birthday.....

I think this idea is fabulous, bloody awesome actually! I may have even suggested it to him once or 5 times in the past lots and lots of weeks - you know so I could be organised for he's birthday. Anyway, I have finally got a definitive answer for what my son wants for he's birthday. A Radio Controlled Monster Truck. Yep, for he's birthday - in 5 days!!!!!

Like I said I am all for this. s going to put down he's remote controller and pick up a radio control and new hobby.

The problem I know nothing, the one he "researched" is crazy expensive, the battery is extra and the trick itself may not arrive until January (not entirely he's fault, mail delays).

I've had a look for different types, models, etc. Now I'm even more confused!!

If anyone has any advice, suggestions or tips I would be extremely grateful - hearing the words "it would be the best gift ever" and the passion he already has for the idea has got me going at full throttle and needing a RC Monster Truck by Friday. ?

I know so little that I can't think of whatto ask, that I need to know so I can chose and purchase he's present ?

I'm wondering please;

Would it be benificial purchasing a kit, so he can learn the ins and outs while assembling? He is 100% new to this hobby.

The one he wanted was electric, would that be best for a bigginer? Is petrol or nitrous expensive over time? will this hobby get expensive?

Can you go to a shop and build one? A bit like build a bear ?

And,

selling a radio controlled car without a battery is like selling a kit house without a floor....hmmm yep they do both!

Anyway, sorry for the novel. I hope someone has made it through to the end of it and has some awesome advice for me.

Thank you in advance :)

Hayley

You won't find it at Walmart. That's strictly toy grade with no parts support or upgrades. Electric would be the way to go for a newbie since nitro engines are a specialty item requiring extra knowledge and maintenance. Is there a HobbyTown USA anywhere in your area? That would be the first stop for good info and a chance to get advise about numerous brands and their parts availability. The other advantage would be that you can buy it and take it home. No waiting for shipping.
I'm sure by tomorrow you'll have several members chipping in here with info and recommendations for you. I'll keep an eye on this thread.
Good mom, lucky son.
--------------------------------------------------------------
I re-read your thread and noticed that you used the term "bloody". Well, I knew you weren't in USA. Turns out you're in Australia where there probably won't be the same hobby shops we have here. Shipping time will also be extended and the cost will go way up. Hang in there till you get more replies. You might even want to consider a gift certificate to the hobby supply that carries the truck you want.
Best of luck with it. G'day.

Last edited:
My 1st real RC is a Traxxas Rustler 2 wheel drive. Versatile, cheap and easy to fix, and entirely upgradeable. I currently own 3 rear wheel drive versions, and one 4 wheel drive. The XL5 model (goes about 30 mph) is quite reasonably priced at around $180, whereas the brushless VXL (faster and has more battery options) is about $280. Just make sure whichever you chose, it comes with a battery and charger. If not, you will need to purchase them separately. Traxxas.Com can show you the accessories that work with your model. You may also need to buy the charging adapter so the battery can be charged in the house, if it's a NIHM battery. I recommend the PEAK charger they offer, it charges all compatible batteries on a house plug.

I also re read the thread title, and realized you said Monster Truck. The Traxxas Stampede 2 wheel drive is a good starter, with more aggressive tyres and ground clearance for off road capability. All the same rules for buying the Rustler apply here, batteries, charger, ect. The Stampede does come in an entry level XL5 and the better VXL with brushless motor. There is a 4 wheel drive version for Stampede and Rustler, but more complicated and expensive to fix in the event of accidents.
Also, watch out for the term "Ready to Run" that is labeled on many vehicles. I find that some of these so-called ready to run, or RTR s don't come with a battery.

Got a ballpark budget, possibly size? Seems like electric is what is wanted. They are the easiest and cleanest, but they all (nitro, gasoline, electric) have ongoing expenses, such as fuel, batteries, engines, motors, tires, etc.

There are quite a few around these days that are something an adult would want, good ones with good parts support start around $500 for 1/8th scale'ish. Larger 1/6th and 1/5th nearly double that price.

As a 42 year old child... I have nitro 1/8th scales, electric 1/32, 1/24, 1/10, 1/8 scales... The 1/8th scale electrics are my most versital, as to where I can drive them. They tend handle grass running better because they have more power available and sit higher.

Budget?. your location? also where does he plan on running this rc? . not sure 5 days is enough time to get anything online. Also scale is very important.. id suggest a rtr also as you will get every thing in 1 box with no extra cost. Most rtr chargers are way slower than most of us (but some are as pricey . but there are bargains to be found..
Nitro is no a good option for a new person in rc fuel is costly ..
and yes this Hobby can be pricey at times...
but you can kept a lower cost option in mind.Kind of a middle range as 1 might say..

May I suggest a $360.00 Redcat Shredder. Lot's of fun.(30 mph) Easy to fix. It has big wheels, like a monster truck. Here is a great video about the shredder and the type of batteries and charger you will need.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-09 at 9.50.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-09 at 9.50.32 AM.png
    296.8 KB · Views: 80
Hello helpful person/s,
I know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about Radio controlled Cars and only a little more about normal cars!!! Sooooo,

Here's the drama; Teenagers never know what they want, right? Or quite often they surprise you, aswell as themselves and all of a sudden "just know" - right?
Well that's what's happened, my son finally knows what he wants!!! For he's 18th birthday.....

I think this idea is fabulous, bloody awesome actually! I may have even suggested it to him once or 5 times in the past lots and lots of weeks - you know so I could be organised for he's birthday. Anyway, I have finally got a definitive answer for what my son wants for he's birthday. A Radio Controlled Monster Truck. Yep, for he's birthday - in 5 days!!!!!

Like I said I am all for this. s going to put down he's remote controller and pick up a radio control and new hobby.

The problem I know nothing, the one he "researched" is crazy expensive, the battery is extra and the trick itself may not arrive until January (not entirely he's fault, mail delays).

If anyone has any advice, suggestions or tips I would be extremely grateful - hearing the words "it would be the best gift ever" and the passion he already has for the idea has got me going at full throttle and needing a RC Monster Truck by Friday. ?

I know so little that I can't think of whatto ask, that I need to know so I can chose and purchase he's present ?

I'm wondering please;

Would it be benificial purchasing a kit, so he can learn the ins and outs while assembling? He is 100% new to this hobby.

The one he wanted was electric, would that be best for a bigginer? Is petrol or nitrous expensive over time? will this hobby get expensive?

And,

selling a radio controlled car without a battery is like selling a kit house without a floor....hmmm yep they do both!

Anyway, sorry for the novel. I hope someone has made it through to the end of it and has some awesome advice for me.

Hayley

The best way for us to help narrow it down is for you to answer a few questions.

1. What truck did he show you?
2. What is your budget?
3. What country and state do you live in?
4. What is your nearest Hobby shop that carries RC cars? We will be able to see what brands they carry.

Hello helpful person/s,

I'm wondering please;

And,

Hayley
Sorry, I forgot to give you the link for the Shredder video.

It's probably too late for us to help at this point, but be sure to have Hailey Junior sign up for an account so we can help him get the most from his new RC car or truck.

May I suggest a $360.00 Redcat Shredder. Lot's of fun.(30 mph) Easy to fix. It has big wheels, like a monster truck. Here is a great video about the shredder and the type of batteries and charger you will need.
It's a Truggy,not a monster truck.

You won't find it at Walmart. That's strictly toy grade with no parts support or upgrades. Electric would be the way to go for a newbie since nitro engines are a specialty item requiring extra knowledge and maintenance. Is there a HobbyTown USA anywhere in your area? That would be the first stop for good info and a chance to get advise about numerous brands and their parts availability. The other advantage would be that you can buy it and take it home. No waiting for shipping.
I'm sure by tomorrow you'll have several members chipping in here with info and recommendations for you. I'll keep an eye on this thread.
Good mom, lucky son.
--------------------------------------------------------------
I re-read your thread and noticed that you used the term "bloody". Well, I knew you weren't in USA. Turns out you're in Australia where there probably won't be the same hobby shops we have here. Shipping time will also be extended and the cost will go way up. Hang in there till you get more replies. You might even want to consider a gift certificate to the hobby supply that carries the truck you want.
Best of luck with it. G'day.
I would say a kit . It's always good to know what your working with other then just hitting a trigger and it would be a good father son bonding time. Building these this can be alot if fun. Right now my kids and me are working on 4 cars a crane and a boat. I know over board but winter is crappy here some times so what do you do. Have fun how ever your design is I'm shure you will come up with the best plan your his dad and know him better then anyone else. Hang in there it will come to you.

I would say a kit . It's always good to know what your working with other then just hitting a trigger and it would be a good father son bonding time. Building these this can be alot if fun. Right now my kids and me are working on 4 cars a crane and a boat. I know over board but winter is crappy here some times so what do you do. Have fun how ever your design is I'm shure you will come up with the best plan your his dad and know him better then anyone else. Hang in there it will come to you.
Birthday is long over this post is months old lol, make sure to pay attention to the date

These old threads always trick me into responding. Not this time though! She should have replied ….

A female take what they want and leave? Say it ain't so.
I'm not judging, just mentioning my personal observations. Sarcastically, of course.:)

A female take what they want and leave? Say it ain't so.
I'm not judging, just mentioning my personal observations. Sarcastically, of course.:)
😆😁😄

Back