Plastic Welder

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkslayor24

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
ok, so i was looking through a tool catalog, and i found this "plastic welder" it looked like a soldering iron, and it came with a bunch of rods of different types of plastics that you would melt to connect broken pieces, fill gaps etc. My first thought was, "i think i need one of these, say goodbye to buying new A arms every time i snap one". has anyone ever tried one? or even heard of one for that matter.

Yes,I have used them. The one I used worked with a focused super heated air stream. The plastic weld will not be strong enough for a-arm repair. The arms are molded with high injection pressure,weld will not be dense enough to provide the strength.

I have seen two types of these plastic welders. One that uses an air compressor and one that did not. The one that used the air compressor worked better but was harder to use. I used it to repair jar covers on forklift batteries, very tricky because the type of plastic like to just melt away. We quit using it because it was a major pain. It did however work amazingly well on ABS plastic, left a nice bead just like a mig welder. In my opinion they are mostly for repairing cosmetic damage so the finished product is not nearly as strong as it was to begin with.

i use mine for cosmetic repairs on my rig, its nice to fix spots, then sand them down and polish and make it look like new

Back