Pilot Shaft vs non-Pilot Shaft?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobH

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
i searched and came up with 18 threads on "Pilot Shaft" . none of them seemed to jump as a source for this information.

if you buy an engine without a pilot shaft, is there some adapter you can use to make it work where a pilot shaft is required?

i was reading some items on ebay and they made sounds like not having a pilot shaft was no big deal.

-Rob

depends on what it is for, are u referring to a buggy engine?

usually, not having a pilot shaft for a TC isnt too big a deal, as they make an adapter clutch nut for it, i can show u a pic if u want, but a having a pilot shaft and not needing one would propose a problem, as it wouldnt fit in the car, such as a NTC3

I find all the different shafts confusing myself. Regular shaft, short shaft, SG shaft, pilot shaft etc... Huh? :confused:

But to answer your question. Yes there are adapters. Something like this. I had to use one like this to put a short shaft .12 into my Ultima and it worked.

Tex

for example:

tower sells the O.S. .21 RZ-V01B

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXALM0&P=7

but the pilot shaft version is discontinued

O.S. .21 RZ-V01B (P)
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXALM1&P=7

i was searching ebay a while back and some auctions fot the non-pilot shaft v01b engines claimed a simple adapter was the only thing needed to make the engine fit the (P) applications.

i did find several "pilot shaft" results on tower:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0095p?FVPROFIL=++&FVSEARCH=pilot+shaft&FVPROFIL=++

rob - i think they are replacing the RZ with the VZ, which is why that version is discontinued - the other version will be next.

the V01B is a "proven mill" as one guy at our track put it. i'd like to get one even if they are on the way out. if i can find one without a pilot shaft and put some adapter on it, I'm all for it. i think i'll just ask the track guys. i get more information there in a day than i do here in a week.

The RZ is gone and the VZ is now taken its place.

My Storm Pro came with the setups for both pilot and non pilot mills. The adapter is much like the ones for the T-Maxx.

Last edited:
Originally posted by RobH
i think i'll just ask the track guys. i get more information there in a day than i do here in a week.

WTF was that all about?

ok so since I like hijacking threads too I'll ask my own question here.

What IS a pilot shaft? Does it just make the drive shaft longer? ????

OK. Now I am confused. I thought this was a pilot shaft(notice the (P) OS nomenclature). Also known as the SG shaft. :wtf:
What I see there are two examples of a standard shaft. One with and one without a prop-driver.
Or am I just cofused?

Tex

You are correct, I just noticed I posted the wrong link and will change it. Sorry.

OK. I had to make sure I had it straight myself. :LoL:

Tex

Back