Picking new truck

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. The cheapest place to buy it is the link I shared. At least they were the cheapest when I bought mine. And RDQ is actually a very good place to buy from.

The Hota is actually the knockoff of a Hobbymate D6 Duo Pro. From the research I have done, they are actually the exact same charger. That Joshua Bardwell actually has both and thinks they are made in the same factory as well, so he recommends the Hota just because it is a bit cheaper.

I have to remind myself you are just starting out in the hobby, so decide what batteries you plan to run, and what connector they have. Then go on Amazon and buy an adapter cable from XT60 to whatever your battery has. So XT60 to EC5, or XT60 to Deans (t-plug), or whatever. I would also grab a 6s balance lead extension just because batteries tend to have a very short balance lead sometimes, and it is impossible to plug it into a charger.
So the rival mt uses t/deans style connectors, I'm going to start with 5200 mah 2s batteries

You could go with an assortment like this, in case later you decide to buy something else...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SK99GZL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_i_P7V65TW006N0A4DJ8BMM

Or you could grab these...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MG3X2T...t_i_K46EYSMQRV4PPDQMK9GW?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I would also grab one of these...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LPLW7XV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_i_EGDTBZ1SPYR29A17XR84

Then mod the balance extension like so...
20220119_160347.jpg

And plug the balance lead from the battery in this way...
20220119_160448.jpg

That is a 3s balance lead plugged in there. A 2s would be...
20220119_160512.jpg

So the rival mt uses t/deans style connectors, I'm going to start with 5200 mah 2s batteries
Affirmative. AE Rival MT uses a Dean's/T-connector. 5200 2s is a good selection. You will get plenty of run time out of it.

Double check battery dimensions before buying to ensure fit to the Rival. MT10 will accept "most" standard length 2s LiPo's. Battery used in my MT10 measures 5 7/16" (138mm) L x 1 13/16" (47mm) W x 1" (26mm) H. It fits the battery tray perfectly. That's up against the cushion pads on either end of the battery tray length and up against the battery strap guides on the width. A battery much thicker (e.g., higher) than 1" will require longer battery straps.

Oh, and in your charger research, you may want to consider a charger with High Voltage LiPo (LiPo/Graphene HV) capability for charge and storage. You may find yourself wanting to transition to that battery type in the future. Just a thought.

Hope this helps. Cheers. 'AC'

I ordered the batterys today, should be picking the truck up tmr. For now i am just going to buy a single 100 watt charger from the hobby shop to get my feet wet. Need to take a break from charger research. I've been looking at them all. Alot of them are the same machines just renamed. Skyrc units look just like the venom and hitec units

This is what I use:

Pro 160W Duo AC/DC LiPo and NiMH Battery Charger

Is it perfect? No. Will it charge your batteries with lightning speed? No. Does everyone on this forum like it? Probably not.
But you know what? It works for me. I charge both Lipo and NiMH batteries with it. It doesn't have any "Smart" capabilities. It comes with an assortment of connectors and a couple balance connector boards, plus I have some extra connectors I use. It will charge, discharge, balance, and prepare your lipo battery for storage. You can make lots of adjustments to the charger and it comes with a decent user manual. Plus, you can plug it into the wall. The one thing I wish it did do is measure internal resistance of a lipo battery. Other than that it meets my needs and I'm happy with it.

Hello all new guy here! Thinking about getting back into rc cars again. About 20 years ago i had a traxxas rustler, it was reliable but they werent that quick back then battery life sucked and so didnt waiting for them to charge. Then about 12-15 years ago i bought a budget duratraxx overdrive st( still have it but can't find parts) that thing gave me a bad taste in the mouth about rc cars and gave up. Now that i am getting older and the cars/trucks have gotten much better, i am considering another. But i have no clue what to look for. I know traxxas and losi are good brands and i keep seeing this arrma brand but dont know any thing about them. Is electric the way to go now adays? Or is nitro still reliable? I'm looking for a truck/truggy id like some thing 4x4 if i can find it in my price range (400 bucks) if not no biggie. Any insight is much apreciated
Arrma 3s BLX vehicles are great ready to run vehicles. They are super durable. If you will be driving mostly on asphalt or a solid surface then I’d recommend the Vorteks. If you will be running in grass or intend to jump ramps any other will do. I own the Granite and love it. I’ve given it a lot of abuse and it takes it all. You will want to eventually replace the steering servo. It’s not hard to do and there are plenty of videos on YouTube that will teach you how. You can get a good servo on Amazon for less $20. You will also need to replace the servo saver which is also very cheap.

So i picked up the protec prodigy 610ez. I am currently charging one of the batterys i got in the mail. It didnt say any thing in the manual, but will it turn off by its self when fully charged? As I'm sure these batteries were shipped in storage state.

So i picked up the protec prodigy 610ez. I am currently charging one of the batterys i got in the mail. It didnt say any thing in the manual, but will it turn off by its self when fully charged? As I'm sure these batteries were shipped in storage state.
It will stop charging and it should make a sound to alert you that it's done charging. LiPos come storage charged.

Got it. took it for its first rip. So far so good. Few crashes on had snow banks and didnt break. Running cheapy ovonic 2s 5200 mah 50c batterys for now.

Back