Picco .26 max with stock pipe?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jschleer

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
OK, I've run about 5 tanks through my .26. and now I'm ready to lean-on-it!

I've got it up to 235 degrees and it is pulling MAD out of the hole. In fact, it does a back flip half the time! But... on the top end, it feels like it doesn't want to rev.

Is this because I'm using the stock pipe? Or am I just not tuned right? :\

Last edited:
Is it shifting? If not then its at 235 because its still in 1st gear. It will need to shift, to go faster so lean it out. However if it is shifting, you can lean a little, but don't let it get to hot. I have the same setup (stock pipe) and its screamin fast at 235. I don't usually tune to temp. but I never let it go over 250 260. Hope this helps

its just your tuning i'm running TRX single chamber pipe with my picco and it works just fine, and you can put the temps to around 260 265 and be just fine with it so you have plenty of room to lean on it

its just your tuning i'm running TRX single chamber pipe with my picco and it works just fine, and you can put the temps to around 260 265 and be just fine with it so you have plenty of room to lean on it

Thanks, I'll try leaning it out a little more. One more question. Are you checking the temp at the glow plug or on the cylinder?

Picco's don't break in at 6 tanks like a 3.3, that's why it's not revving. Lean it a little but do not rev the crap out of it until it get's a gsllon through it. You'll know it's ready to lean out fully when you can rotate the engine over and not feel metal to metal contact at TDC with the GP out. A better pipe will help tons as well. Stock up on tranny gears! Have fun, nothing like a Picco with the right pipe and a good tune.

I agree with Scrogg above. I also think the stock pipe is way too restrictive. Mine ran like poop...hot, no power and hard to tune with it. I got the THS pipe on it and....night and day difference. I mine I thought it was a different engine, I swear it was THAT MUCH of a change. Mine has just over a gallon through it and still has a pinch at TDC with the plug out.

Well, I finally got a great tune on her, and she's a screamer! I guess it was still a little tight before.

Thanks, to everyone who helped me make a decision on the right engine and a pipe. This thing is bad ass! It actually takes some skill to drive it now!
The THS pipe is coming soon!

Last edited:
I agree with Scrogg above. I also think the stock pipe is way too restrictive. Mine ran like poop...hot, no power and hard to tune with it. I got the THS pipe on it and....night and day difference. I mine I thought it was a different engine, I swear it was THAT MUCH of a change. Mine has just over a gallon through it and still has a pinch at TDC with the plug out.

Yeah even my 3.3's have that pinch after a gallon, it's normal. The important thing is those first 5-8 tanks... Then like any other engine just let it warm up before you rip it.

Yeah even my 3.3's have that pinch after a gallon, it's normal. The important thing is those first 5-8 tanks... Then like any other engine just let it warm up before you rip it.
Uh...gee thanks but I am pretty sure I have a handle on the whole nitro bit by now. I think you were missing my point which was backing up what Scrogg said on being patient on the break in and tune process and that a Picco takes a bit more time than some engines do to loosen up. I am quite aware that it's normal....

Last edited:
Uh...gee thanks but I am pretty sure I have a handle on the whole nitro bit by now. I think you were missing my point which was backing up what Scrogg said on being patient on the break in and tune process and that a Picco takes a bit more time than some engines do to loosen up. I am quite aware that it's normal....

I meant to write that to scrogg.... my bad.... Just wanted to state a simple fact that my 3.3's don't loosen up any faster than my big blocks.

OK, go buy a Nova .21 or Picco .21 and see how long it takes for the pinch to fully relax. Then compare it to your 3.3's breakin time frame. I'll leave it at that. Not trying to be rude, but we are comparing apples to oranges, here. The materials used in Piccos is much better than Traxxas. They take a lot more time to break in and last 10X longer.

Scrogg, gosh what do you know right? Or me for that matter....I know I have broken in somewhere in the ballpark of 25-30 engines but still I am new at this. So the Traxxas 3.3 is Just as good a Sirio, Novarossi or Picco? Wow, why have I wasted my money in the past then?

So how is that POS Picco treating you now that you have a bit more fuel through it? I really like mine....it loves some 30% nitro

So how is that POS Picco treating you now that you have a bit more fuel through it? I really like mine....it loves some 30% nitro

That POS Picco is Bad-ass! I think it's loosened up bit. But, I haven't had a chance to try the THS pipe. It's been raining. I can't wait to try it! ......and yea, it loves the 30%!:hehe:

Now I'm trying to gear it up for more MPH, thinking of 16t,40t combo.

If you think it is bad ass now.... wait until you get the new pipe on it. It will Really open up then.

Scrogg, gosh what do you know right? Or me for that matter....I know I have broken in somewhere in the ballpark of 25-30 engines but still I am new at this. So the Traxxas 3.3 is Just as good a Sirio, Novarossi or Picco? Wow, why have I wasted my money in the past then?

Ok tough guy. I came in here to talk about nitro rc trucks....I stated a simple fact that I have observed several times myself....And here we go it's like being on you tube with you fags and your know it all bullshit!! Get a life losers!!

Yeah I guess I should just automatically know that you're a genius too.....RIGHT?

IMO a 17/36t combo is the best, thats what i have figured out at least thats the setup i use and it will still pull the wheels up when i want it too

IMO a 17/36t combo is the best, thats what i have figured out at least thats the setup i use and it will still pull the wheels up when i want it too

I'm going 18/36 when the mount comes for my s27.....Can't wait!! Probably gonna want a 34 tooth later on. I'm not sure how the Sirio compares to a picco .26 but I got my sirio for 159.00 plus tax brand new had to take it!!

That POS Picco is Bad-ass! I think it's loosened up bit. But, I haven't had a chance to try the THS pipe. It's been raining. I can't wait to try it! ......and yea, it loves the 30%!:hehe:

I run 16/36 for speed with a 3.3 it'll still pull the wheels.

Back