Picco .26 Max Tuning Problem

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Endlessnitro

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi guys. I put a picco .26 red dot maxx in my t-maxx and have some problems tuning it. Got it broke in, no problem. After it warms up the idle does nuts, up and down (very fast). I read all the picco tuning forums and call picco. They said my problem was my pipe. (I'm running a 053 pipe with a stock header) Put the stock pipe on and same problem. So i put the 053 pipe back on and started over with the stock setings, slowly adjusted the high speed and than the low.(Also sealed the motor). Same problem. I've never had a problem like this before. I think i'm just looking at it to hard. PLEASE HELP!!! When it runs it's great, i don't wount to put 3.3 back on. Thank you guys. Any info wound be great. If you need more info let me know.

It sounds like the lsn is too lean, how much fuel do you have through it?

I'm finding mine isn't the easiest to tune either. Not going for any power on mine yet...doesn't start without a little throttle assistance, dies after WOT(but seems to be getting better), and doesn't like to idle/restart once it gets up to temp.

Crazy power but I feel like I'm paying for it with being so finicky.

How did you mount the 053 to a stock header? Tuning a Picco is all in the LSN. On the high side a red dot has a wide tuning window, its almost set and forget. I've also noticed that as a red dot begins to loosten up it will like a richer mixture and a smaller idle gap.

How did you mount the 053 to a stock header? Tuning a Picco is all in the LSN. On the high side a red dot has a wide tuning window, its almost set and forget. I've also noticed that as a red dot begins to loosten up it will like a richer mixture and a smaller idle gap.

Thanks for the info, my Picco is just past break in and beginning to loosen up. I'll keep this in mind as I do a post break in tune.

I agree with post #2....Sounds like you may have the "chewbacca" idle.

Maybe a video would help????

I'm sure Robin could help assist you if you could get a decent video up.

I've got about 3/4 of gal. throw it. 2Revo1Tmaxx your right it's got the chewbacca idle. What wound make it do that? If i richen the low it stalls.

How long does it idle before stalling?

It was the lsn, like you guys said, i turned it 1/2 turn and it ran great. Needs a little more tuning but so much better. (No more chewbacca) It does stall after about 30 sec. if i let it idle and try to take off hard but it needs just some more tuning (I Hope) And DUB C i put the 053 pipe on my shock header by just useing a rubber exhaust cupler for a revo. Sealed nice with no leaks. Thank you all you were a lot of help.

How is the pinch? pull the glow plug out and spin it over by the flywheel and see how much it binds/drags through TDC, it usually takes at least 1.5-2 gallons before it loosens up enough for a performance tune. I noticed you mentioned it will die if you richen the LSN, it could be still too tight for a fine tune but if your only turning in 1hr increments it should respond and idle fine. If the engine has loosened up you can follow the tuning guide below, set the idle gap to 1mm and fine tune from there.

One other thing you can do is seal the carb between where the aluminum cap that houses the HSN assembly and the composite body come together. This is a spot where the carb can leak once it gets some heat in it and is one of the reasons the first picco's got such a bad rep for being very hard to tune. It's the point at #2 in the picture, it's not a picco but shows where to put the bead contacting both sides of the joint. I use Threebond 1211 to do any sealing because it is 100% nitro/methanol proof and does an excellent job, other sealants will work but just make sure the area has been totally cleaned of any oil or they don't stick very well.

DSC05528.jpg

http://extremercmods.com/content/tuning-popup.html

---------- Post added at 8:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:22 PM ----------

LOL, you posted while I was typing. I'm glad you got it figured out but some of my reply may still help out a bit.