Picco .26 Max or Picco .26 Max JL red Dot ?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadKawi650

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Very sorry if this has been covered before, but I have been reading all afternoon and haven't found an answer.

There is a $10 difference in price at great Hobbies so the choice should be easy,,, however, the regular max says for use with EZ Start for the Revo. the Red Dot does not.. Will my easy start bolt right up to a .26 max Red Dot ? Or do I have to just stay with the regular .26 max if I am lazy and love my Sleazy start system.

Very sorry if this has been covered before, but I have been reading all afternoon and haven't found an answer.

There is a $10 difference in price at great Hobbies so the choice should be easy,,, however, the regular max says for use with EZ Start for the Revo. the Red Dot does not.. Will my easy start bolt right up to a .26 max Red Dot ? Or do I have to just stay with the regular .26 max if I am lazy and love my Sleazy start system.

the red dot should in theory work with the "Sleazy start" for the simple fact that it says it is a direct drop in with the exception of a different motor mount

Thanks... I think this will be my next engine choice.

I have to stay ahead of my buddy. He just installed an O.S. 21

i would say that the picco red dot will outrun the os .21

For $10 I would go with the red dot. But I would get a better starting system like an ofna backplate and torque start. It will cost you about $60 plus a glow plug igniter $10+ depending on the one you get. My ez-start lasted a week with my picco .26, had a spare put that in, lasted 3 days and gave me problems every one of those days. I really wanted to keep my ez-start but it just can't handle that motor for long. And I actually like this new setup a million times better than the ez start.

the only problem i have ever had with my ezstart on my picco was that i stripped out my original gears in it, so i replaced my ez start gears and i have no problems since, other than a owb needing cleaned

You just have to crack the glow plug loose when the motors cold. The ez start works fine on a picco.

Yep, did all that too. Like I said I loved my ez-start and did not want to get anything different, now I kick myself in the butt for not doing it earlier. Night and day difference.

Yep, did all that too. Like I said I loved my ez-start and did not want to get anything different, now I kick myself in the butt for not doing it earlier. Night and day difference.
what are you using now. . .the EZ starter will work just fine on a picco u just have to be more careful with it I:E not hold the starter button down as long as u used too with the 3.3

Thanks for all the input guys.

My 3.3 is still working OK so I'm just getting myself revved up for a new engine when this one konks out...

the 3.3 kinda makes me cranky, its always runing over 300° and I have sooo much blue smoke it chokes the neighbours. If I richen the HSN anymore I will have to strap a 5 gallon jug to the roof just to get 15 minutes out of it. It still had that da da da da da lean sound when I let off the throttle. The idle is good (maybe a bit high, but the idle screw does nothing).. Tank seal is new, engine bearings not leaking, carb sealed.

I'm just fed up with it and want a quality engine.

One more thing... Will I need a new exhaust with the picco .26 ? I have the tuned chrome traxxas pipe ?

thanks again.

You can use the stock manifold and pipe but I would get a better less restrictive set-up. I did on mine and it was like getting a whole new engine. The Picco was a great engine...new pipe and it was even better. I have mine in the shorter 2.5 Maxx so I am a bit limited on the pipes that will fit for length.

One more thing... Will I need a new exhaust with the picco .26 ? I have the tuned chrome traxxas pipe ?

thanks again.

nope you can use the stock setup that you have on your rig right now, but like was stated before a less restrictive pipe would be good too, but if ur not planning on racing ur rig then don't worry about it, which pipe is it. . .Single Chamber or 2 chamber???. . .i have the single on mine with a picco and its great. . .great engine and great pipe

I have the single chamber pipe I think... It looks completely hollow inside and mine is the loudest pipe out of all my buddies RC trucks. Will I need a new header pipe, or will the traxxas header bolt up? Maybe a spring mount would be better?

the traxxas one will bolt right up, thats what i am using, but yea a spring header would prolly work better but the bolt up one works fine too, the only problem i found with my set up is that it moves the pipe over a little further and rubs on the body of my rig

Here is a write up I did at the traxxas forums about the best setup for the picco. I love mine.
reddotrevo111 said:
Here is the best setup, your flywheel and everything fits on this engine but i suggest something a bit different.
*Get a FOC if you dont already have it.
*For break in use the ez start or else you will cut your fingers and have the most sore arm ever, then use the pullstart after break in (most people on this forum prefers a rotostart for the picco).
*buy THIS mount, i have gone through 2 mounts and on my third, this is the best one. I could of saved $60 or so dollars if I went with this one.
http://www.neweramodels.com/item.cgi?session_id=&part_id=2285
*Use a 17 tooth clutch bell and 36 tooth spur gear
*If you get a new clutch you need a new flywheel, I and some other forum members blow through the stock clutches in less than half a tank. Get this 3 shoe and you wont need another clutch for as long as you run this engine http://www.m2cracing.com/product.sc?categoryId=2&productId=174
*Get a side pipe! Sure it has a small block exhaust port but this engine is a MID block, you need to use a big block (1/8th) pipe. It will be way easier to tune, run better, get rid of a HORRIBLE mid range bog, and have over 30% more power, yes it makes that much more of a difference. I suggest this pipe http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/products_id/9005/n/Dynamite-Platinum-1-8-053-MidRange-Inline-Exhaust-System-Hard-Anodized me and some other members are running it and it is great!
The "ofna" or "picco" motor mount sucks big time, I have gone through 2 of them, you can't use the screws that come with it and you can hardly adjust the mount for different gearing options. With that side pipe you will either have to stack a small block exhaust gasket in a big one or contact the member "Oomp" on these forums and he makes a REALLY nice piece to use the pipe with the engine. I was blowing driveshafts and snapping the primary shaft at the pin, I installed a single speed conversion (contact member Oomp, he makes amazing stuff) and still have enough power for wheelies and tons of top speed. If you need any more help PM me.

Now I am using the ofna torque start backplate with a pullstart OWB and the handheld torque starter, and of course a glow plug igniter. So much better, and the glow plug igniter clips onto the plug so it's not like you have to hold it on there, you still have a free hand for the transmitter if you need it. And again like I said, yes the ez-start works mine did not for very long and I started it in quick bursts didn't hold it down. With the new setup, there is no holding it down it spins at like 5000rpm, as soon as you hit the button, it starts. Stick with the ez-start if you want, but something like the ofna torque start, shaft start, or the tiger drive are all far superior and make my bashing days much more enjoyable.

The torque start is actually made for the picco .26 not the max, but it works with the max pullstart owb. I believe the OFNA shaft start is actually made for the MAX. Their website does not specify so call and ask before ordering.

And whomever said use the stock exhaust with the .26 if your not racing obviously has not put a 1/8 size exhaust on their .26. Big difference. Made a really rich not tuned all the way engine go from driving ok with no wheelies to hauling a** wheelies in first jumping up onto the wing with all 4 tires off the ground and wheelies in
2nd wih just an exhaust change same tune, rich as snot:)

Last edited:
And whomever said use the stock exhaust with the .26 if your not racing obviously has not put a 1/8 size exhaust on their .26. Big difference. Made a really rich not tuned all the way engine go from driving ok with no wheelies to hauling a** wheelies in first jumping up onto the wing with all 4 tires off the ground and wheelies in
2nd wih just an exhaust change same tune, rich as snot:)
no i haven't used a 1/8 size exhaust on my picco, i never knew that a pipe would make that big of a difference, and if they make a 1/8 pipe for a rear exhaust i may get one, i really REALLY don't want a side pipe

no i haven't used a 1/8 size exhaust on my picco, i never knew that a pipe would make that big of a difference, and if they make a 1/8 pipe for a rear exhaust i may get one, i really REALLY don't want a side pipe
Please read my post above, I don't have many posts here but have 1600 or so at the traxxas forums. Me and a few guys have the picco figured out (picco gurus ;)). I started my red dot with a ofna mount and rotostart. Broke it in and drove it for maybe half a gallon. It had a horrible mid range bog (not a tuning issue), quite a challenge to tune, ran pretty hot, and just did not have the power that I expected. Lol, in the picture below you can see the missing drive shaft (snapped it).
100_1354.jpg

100_1353.jpg

I installed a center diff to take away some stress from the drivetrain because I was snapping drive shafts snapped 2 primary shafts at the pin. I put 500k oil in it and still have it today. I was getting new tires/wheels and decided that I might as well try a side pipe :\ I ordered a dynamite 053 hard coated pipe from amain. This was all before the picco craze and you could actually still buy them. I also ordered a single speed conversion from the member Oomp. I got her all set up (also bought a traxxas big block kit to use) and took it out. It had 40% more power, no mid range bog, easy to tune, and just 100% more fun to drive. It also ran cooler.
100_1367.jpg

100_1366.jpg

100_1365.jpg

I just used a coat hanger to secure it.
Here is the most recent picture(s)
100_1369.jpg

100_1370.jpg

100_1371.jpg

EDIT
I forgot about the clutch. I tried every 2 shoe clutch out there. I would always stretch the spring or the shoes would just disintegrate. I bought a 3 shoe m2c clutch for $60 and it is awesome! No more issues. I have the single speed conversion plate (gets rid of the first gear and OWB inside the transmission) and am running on 16/36 or 17/36 gearing with the wide ratio second gear. I still even get the odd wheelie with the CD going up hill a little bit on grass. A blast to drive :) Before break in I was having a major issue with it leaking from the backplate, it would not run. If anyone with a picco has not sealed their backplate and carb neck with copper rtv do so now. It is the best thing you can do for your engine.

Last edited:
thats a great looking rig, i din't think it would look good in all white. . .cuz i was gonna do the same thing lol. . .but i was dead wrong, but as far as the side pipe goes i like them for the extra power and stuff you can get. . .but for a basher i personally don't think it would be the greatest idea in case of rollovers, slides into hard stuff. . .I:E: concrete parking barriers (don't ask, baaaaaaaaad mojo). . .

Back