picco .26 max clutch upgrade

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paranoid

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So the MIP clutch I was running in my .26 finally broke and now I am looking to upgrade it to a proper 1/8 scale clutch. My question is what do I need to buy? I know I need a clutch and a clutch bell but will I need the flywheel too? Links to parts or part numbers would be appreciated. Also I am still running the black transmission with the 32p spur.

Another question: If I where to upgrade to the grey transmission what drive shafts would I need? This is a 2.5 max with MIP CVDs, would I just need to buy the 3.3 shafts and it would be good?

Hi, I've just upgraded to this engine as well but have heard a few horror stories about it trashing the transmission and diffs. I'm still running it in so taking it steady how are you finding its reliability?

I've never gotten it running well enough to break anything other than the clutch. I did lose a pin out of my driveshafts though.

Ok so no body know about 1/8 scale clutches, does anyone know anything about any of the various other t maxx clutch upgrades?

I use the Hot Racing 3 shoe aluminum and it seem to work good so far. Not too expensive either.

The Hot Racing stuff looks to be better quality than Integy. I don't think a 1/8 upgrade is necessary the Picco Max engine is designed to use the stock clutch.A good quality aluminum shoe clutch and a quality bell and bearings held up fine in mine buts thats just my experiance.

Last edited:
The Hot Racing stuff looks to be better quality than Integy. I don't think a 1/8 upgrade is necessary the Picco Max engine is designed to use the stock clutch.A good quality aluminum shoe clutch and a quality bell and bearings held up fine in mine buts thats just my experiance.
This is kind of long but I have a few questions about a problem I’m having in getting a pair of new white Teflon and nylon turbo sliding clutch shoes to slide into their new clutch bell. All the new clutch parts came from Fioroni and included the clutch bell, flywheel, flywheel nut and the shoes that I bought together around ten or maybe twelve years ago (unfortunately they didn’t come with installation instructions.)
The white shoes (with the springs installed on them) are just a little too large in diameter to fit into the clutch bell. Also the circular opening between the assembled shoes is a little too small for them to slide over the clutch nut. So with no other options that I knew of, I then decided to modify the shoes a little to fit into the clutch bell by slightly sanding the face of both of them down about another millimeter which was just enough to fit them into the clutch bell, but I allowed the shoes to still lightly contact it. Then I enlarged the circular area between the shoes just enough to slide them over the clutch nut but allowing them to lightly contact the nut a little.
So I’m wondering several things. First, I can’t understand why the shoes don’t fit properly in the clutch bell. Second, was I wrong in modifying the shoes a little to fit into the clutch bell and around the flywheel nut? And three, should I modify them a little more yet so they don’t touch the clutch bell and flywheel nut at all so they can spin completely free of them? Again, I’m using the complete Fioroni turbo sliding clutch set with the clutch bell, white sliding shoes, flywheel and flywheel nut that I bought together at the same time.
Thanks a million for any help or advice you can give me to help with this! I would really appreciate it!

Back