Picco .26 max carb leaking issue

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zdragon71

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I know I've seen a thread on here somewhere about this issue but can't find it so I'm starting this one. I have a newer .26 max with about 12 or 13 tanks through it. Proper break in followed and temps are great. Usually around 220 to 230. Noticed the carb was leaking pretty bad and making a mess around the base of block below carb. So pulled the carb off and sealed it really good with red rtv and let it cure over night. Well the next day ran another 2 tanks out and put it away. The next eve (yesterday) i noticed the carb is still leaking like crazy and couldnt get the engine to start at all. Figured its sucking air like crazy so pulled carb off to seal it again. Is there a recall or anything on these carbs due to I've heard that picco has addressed the leaky issue or is there a better fix for this problem beside dropping picco for OS engines and having to spend the money for a different mill? :angry:

Yeah me either. It seems to be mostly coming from the boot. Its soaking wet around the whole carb boot and all around below the carb itself. I've emailed picco and waiting on a response from them. Apparently this has been an issue in the past with a bunch of the .26 max mills and i could have swore i read somewhere that picco had addressed the issue somehows

Are you sure it's not coming from the front bearing? If your still running rich the front bearing will leak until you lean it out some and put more of a performance tune on it.

Are you sure it's not coming from the front bearing? If your still running rich the front bearing will leak until you lean it out some and put more of a performance tune on it.

Good point, RC mods- yep sometimes it comes from the front bearing once you are running rich. And because it goes through the shaft and the flywhell throwing it to the carb.

Positive its not the front seal/bearing. After resealing the carb again i cleaned and sealed the boot very carefully as well and ran a tank through it yesterday and its dry as can be now. Plus has a deeper crisper sound to the exhaust and much better performance. So i was correct about it leaking around the slide boot. Now I'm just wondering if picco will get back intouch with me and maybe have a better fitting slide boot to correct the issue without red rtv having to be used. Thanks for the replies guys. As always i can count on you all for feedback and ideas.

Positive its not the front seal/bearing. After resealing the carb again i cleaned and sealed the boot very carefully as well and ran a tank through it yesterday and its dry as can be now. Plus has a deeper crisper sound to the exhaust and much better performance. So i was correct about it leaking around the slide boot. Now I'm just wondering if picco will get back intouch with me and maybe have a better fitting slide boot to correct the issue without red rtv having to be used. Thanks for the replies guys. As always i can count on you all for feedback and ideas.

Isnt that slide boot just a dust cover? I would not have thought it would offer much of an air seal - might be worth pulling out the LSN and checking to see if the needle seal is ok - perhaps give it some rubber grease - I'll be doing the same this arvo as I noticed I have oil over my throttle linkage and slide boot as well (new .26) - I just figured it was the rich tune blowing oil out the front bearing - the oil is only over the slide though, not the other side of the engine or under the body . . . .

I've been wondering if I have a carb leak or if there is an issue with the carb.

I can't put my finger on it, there is something not quite right with my new .26 . . . I'm hoping the engine is just tight because it is new; performance is a bit lack luster.

They're known for leaking where the aluminum and composite meet.

Well i would believe it was just rich settings if i havnt already started performance tuning it. The boot was in fact leaking because sealing it stopped it. I've found out that there were some of the carbs machined wrong from the manufacturer is the reason they have been known to leak around the carb base at block which is still leaking after sealing twice on mine. Just not as bad now. I've emailed picco twice trying to get a response on this issue and so far no luck. Also gonna call horizon hobby today and try to get them to either send another carb or assist me in getting picco to do so and see if that fixes the problem. I have read somewhere that picco has caught the problem and now no longer producing ill manufactured carbs.