Picco 26 - header back pressure

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Punisher

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hi all

I understand the tuned pipe plays a huge part in the 2 strokes cycle.

Fitting a large header pipe - effectively reducing, albeit removing back pressure from the header - would this be detrimental to performance?

Check out THIS thread.

Thanks for the link - it doesn’t really answer my question however.

I understand that a two stroke engine requires some back-pressure to operate efficiently - (the back pressure stops fresh inlet change from being pushed straight through the engine into the exhaust).

Is the back pressure provided by the header? Or is the back-pressure provided by the pipe?

If I used a 1/8 side mount header (read large diameter header) with a 086 pipe, the header pipe would provide next to no restriction (compared to a smaller diameter header pipe) - If a large diameter header pipe is used, one that provides little or no restriction, would this be detrimental to the performance of the engine, or is the exhaust restriction provided by the pipe (muffler - 056 vs 085 for example)?

Header size,pipe size,shape,stinger diameter and length all work together to effect the performance of the engine. Changing any one item will have an effect on performance,some more than others with the pipe being the largest factor. The link was to show that the Picco engine likes the larger 1/8 scale headers and pipes and they improve performance significantly.

Back