Paint advice

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OverDrive

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I've just got a new shell for my Hyper 7 and want to paint it purple and black.
I've been thinkin these colours to make the most of the purple anodised parts and cooling head and the black Carbon fibre parts i've just hopped up with. How difficult is it going to be (1-5) to do tribal patterns or flames in purple and the rest in black. What sort of paint should I use and any other guidance would be much appreciated. Preferably a step by step!!

If you buy precut masks, I'll say 0. You can use Tamiya cans or Pactra, I'm not sure wich ones you can get. If you don't have precut masks, just buy a vinyl sheet, paint the design on it and cut yourselve, two color scheme shouldn't be a problem, those are the steps.
-wash the body , I use alcohol.
- put the mask, make sure you apply it corectly, check it a cuople times before the first paint layers.
- paint the black surface in two or three coats, do not try to get a perfect black with the first coat, you will find some paint instructions in the can.
- once the black is dry, remove the masks and apply the purple in thin coats also.
Do not hurry, try to be patient between coats and let it dry, I know that is difficult because you will be impatient to see the result, but every time I mess a body is for the same reason, Not being patient xD.

Ace, thanx for the advice.
In your opinion would metalic purple look better? Also if I did a thin spray of silver before the black would it give a good effect of just bodge things up?

i say go with a pactra pearl purple, its a lil lighter but looks really nice, especially on black:)

OverDrive said:
Ace, thanx for the advice.
In your opinion would metalic purple look better? Also if I did a thin spray of silver before the black would it give a good effect of just bodge things up?

Dont shoot a silver before applying the black. Use a Metallic black instead. Like Kazi said, clean your lid really well, mask the widows & apply your tribal masks. You can either buy the precut masks
HERE , or you can download some from HERE . These, you can trace onto some masking sheets, cut & apply, or you could even trace them onto the outside of the body (on the protective coating) with a sharpie, then use blue painters masking tape on the inside of the body. If you hold it up to the light, you can carefully cut the design into the blue tape with an exacto knife...
Hope that helps ya..

Well I've got the paints just waitin for the mask to arrive. I've decided to go with metalic black and metalic burgundy. I think this purple colour will be the closest match to my new purple anodised hop ups.
Now i'm not sure if I should leave my rims/wing white or dye them black. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

IMO you should dye the rims black. the white will throw it off so i will say yes to the black dying.

pretty sure I can't by rit dye over here in the uk. What else would work? I can get dylon and might just try that out.

trial and error has always been a great way of education it shouldnt be too hard to dye them with any type dye.

adding a pinstripe border around the flames will make it look really good too,maybe something like silver.just paint the black first,then use an exacto to cut a thin outline off the mask in the flame pattern.paint the silver pinstripe then remove the rest of the mask and paint the insides of the flames.just a suggestion.
have a look at the pinstripes on this paintjob and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
that does look cool, haven't got my masks yet so i'll judge the difficulty when they arrive. Thanx for the link.

One quick question. I wanted to get an airbrush set to paint 2 - 3 bodies. Which one you guys recommended? Or should I just get one from wal-mart?

Back