Overheating (I think)…

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JezHall

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
I am running a Tamiya Sport tuned motor with a hobbywing ESC...as recommended on here.

It is amazingly fast for a few minutes then drops speed. The ESC beeps, I think to signal that it's overheating?

This is in a Tamiya TL01 chassis with the ESC tucked away deep inside so not getting much airflow.

Is it the ESC or the motor that gets too hot to cause this?
The body shell is quite enclosed. Would I benefit from cutting out the front plastic grille and replacing it with mesh?
Would a bonnet or roof scoop inlet improve airflow?

......or am I barking up the wrong tree??

Thanks in advance

Jez

Attachments

• F8FF9EFA-7E4E-488B-9054-5A861514F6E2.jpeg
    F8FF9EFA-7E4E-488B-9054-5A861514F6E2.jpeg
    288.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 5257FE54-A0C4-4BDA-96CF-3E806C2661AA.jpeg
    5257FE54-A0C4-4BDA-96CF-3E806C2661AA.jpeg
    483.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 49A82EDB-7BD5-45A6-A16B-9BC49031D75F.jpeg
    49A82EDB-7BD5-45A6-A16B-9BC49031D75F.jpeg
    427.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 1AD69E11-B892-4D62-B50C-65EF78092EE4.jpeg
    1AD69E11-B892-4D62-B50C-65EF78092EE4.jpeg
    347.9 KB · Views: 21
I am running a Tamiya Sport tuned motor with a hobbywing ESC...as recommended on here.

It is amazingly fast for a few minutes then drops speed. The ESC beeps, I think to signal that it's overheating?

This is in a Tamiya TL01 chassis with the ESC tucked away deep inside so not getting much airflow.

The body shell is quite enclosed. Would I benefit from cutting out the front plastic grille and replacing it with mesh?

......or am I barking up the wrong tree??

Thanks in advance

Jez
Lots of possible answers here. Are you running the right batteries for the esc and motor? Possibly the gearing is too tall.
Is the motor and esc too hot to touch?

Lots of possible answers here. Are you running the right batteries for the esc and motor? Possibly the gearing is too tall.
Is the motor and esc too hot to touch?
They are standard NIMh batteries. the motor does get hot to touch.

What do you mean by 'too tall'?....It has the hop up gears in the gearbox, I'm not sure how many teeth are on the cog from the motor......what would be best?

Thanks

Jez

Oh. It’s a gear box car. Nope can’t be gearing as this is a factory set up.
It now sounds like the esc is set for lipo batteries and your running nimh.
The esc thinks that you are using lipo and when the voltage drops down it cuts out to preserve the battery.
Check the paperwork and see how to change your esc to nimh batteries and this should fix your problem. Just remember that you changed it if you decide to use lipo in the future as this setting will allow you to run your battery below safe lipo levels.

Back