OS 18tm vs. OS 21tm

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharliesTheMan

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Well I have just about made the decision on the power plant that I'm going to put in my maxx. It's a 2.5 T-Maxx but I already bought a new 3.3 tranny and opti-drive (don't know if I have to use it or not, but got it really cheap just in case I need it) I will have steel gears in the tranny and steel CVD's all the way around, probably mpi.

I have decided on an OS 18tm or an OS 21tm, and I'm wondering if there's a lot more power in the os21tm, because it's about 100 bucks more. I don't mind spending it if it's a lot better, but I don't want to spend money if I could get the one for 100 bucks cheaper and they're almost the same amount of power. Does anyone have either of these plants in their truck? Have you guys heard from people that have them? I wanna order lots of parts tomorrow and I'd like to here your thoughts on the matter. Thanks in advance for the help.

Think about it this way, "theres no replacement for displacement"! lol. Pluse OS has cut production on the .18 I have heard, so there parts will be hard to come by in the future.

Bryson

Think about it this way, "theres no replacement for displacement"! lol. Pluse OS has cut production on the .18 I have heard, so there parts will be hard to come by in the future.

Bryson

haha I live by that quote, I have a camaro drag car. I think I'm going to go with the 21, I just want it to still be able to drive and handle decent. Since I've never had a big block T-Maxx, I don't really know how much power they can handle and still be "streetable" as we call it in drag racing.

I'd have to guess with a 21 in it, you will be finding it hard to control... with the 3.3 trans, you will have the advantage of a better slipper to tame it a bit.

The true 21 t-maxx chassis's were longer by about an inch to fit the engine in (if not more). That helped tame them down a bit, but then you fight with the crappy diffs, axles and trans. The trans you have covered... but next will be the diffs and axles.

I had a mild 21 in my true 21 maxx back in the day (XTM 21 chassis conversion). I ran an OS21RG. Not a real powerful engine, but it tunes well and gets the job done. I had constant diff issues and center axle issues even with it. I have a feeling the 21TM will have much more power than mine did. So you may want to look into getting 3.3 maxx diffs and sliders as well. They are supposedly tougher than the old 2.5 maxx stuff like I had.

I'd have to guess with a 21 in it, you will be finding it hard to control... with the 3.3 trans, you will have the advantage of a better slipper to tame it a bit.

The true 21 t-maxx chassis's were longer by about an inch to fit the engine in (if not more). That helped tame them down a bit, but then you fight with the crappy diffs, axles and trans. The trans you have covered... but next will be the diffs and axles.

I had a mild 21 in my true 21 maxx back in the day (XTM 21 chassis conversion). I ran an OS21RG. Not a real powerful engine, but it tunes well and gets the job done. I had constant diff issues and center axle issues even with it. I have a feeling the 21TM will have much more power than mine did. So you may want to look into getting 3.3 maxx diffs and sliders as well. They are supposedly tougher than the old 2.5 maxx stuff like I had.

Olds, you don't know how helpful this information has been. I'm planning on putting steel gears in the tranny and putting better center axles, now I know to look into diffs as well.

Oh and I'm planning on putting an extended chassis as well, I should have mentioned that I would extend the chassis at the same time I put the engine on.

Ok... then I have to ask... why put that much dough into a 1/10 rig to make it 3/4's of a 1/8 rig when you could just buy a 1/8 rig that could handle the power?

I know what I was thinking when I did it... I also know what I think of myself now after doing it! ;)

Also, if your going with an extended chassis, which one? If your doing that, then you may not limited by what engine will fit. You can get a real stump puller for the price of the 21TM.

Last edited:
Well I started out looking at doing a big block conversion, but then I decided that rather do that whole conversion, I wanted to build a Savage SS. and just put a drop in motor in the maxx. So I decided on the .18 because I could drop it in and go. I was wondering if I would have a noticeable power increase in the .18 or if I needed the .21 to get enough power to make the difference.

After talking with you, I think I'm going to order the 18tm and put in the cvd's and stuff and then just leave it alone and start on the savage SS. Do you know of any other kits like the savage SS that I can build from scratch and add the radio equipment?

No... I don't. Although, there are a few RTR's I'd recommend. There just aren't many kits these days. The ones I'd recommend are the aftershock, LST2, MGT, TNX... at least for MT's and not "truggies".

If you really want a savage, you might want to look into a savage X kit vs a savage SS. Better handling and easier to work on.

I think you'd be happier with a 18 or a 3.3 in that maxx of yours in the end and going with a 1/8 scale rig to put a real big block in. I know I really was. I even tried putting a BB in a revo... didn't care for that either. Threw off it's balance to much IMO. Made it feel like it had a fat ass regardless what I did to the suspension.

Now, I just stick to 1/8's for BB trucks. Less hassle trying to get it not to fly apart on you.

To each their own though. There are a lot of guys that really love their maxx and like them with big blocks. I'm just one of the many that didn't.

Alright thanks for the help. I haven't looked into the savage kits much yet so I'm glad for that advice. I build an SS kit years ago but never cranked it, so that's why I know about them. I'd much rather have the better handling kit. I would like to find a truck that has more engine options if I want to upgrade than the T-Maxx has. BTW, I'm ordering the diffs now.

Back