Original Super Mario Bros Survey

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfreak

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I was just playing SMB with my kids. There is something to be said for nostalgia. I played this game last on the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) 17 years ago. I was shocked how much I remember about the silly thing. I was curious if anyone else out there still has the nack for the old SMB game on the NES.

Here are some questions to see how well you remember:

1.) Easy one. What game came with Super Mario Brothers when you bought it with the NES?

2.) what changed when you beat the game?

3.) What is warping and one which levels can it be done?

4.) What's the quickest way to beat the game (warping that is)?

5.) What's so special about level 3-1??

6.) How do you "Slide Though the Wall" and what does it result in?

7.) How does one go about getting "Little Fireballs"??

That's all the questions I can think of. I'm gonna go beat it again for old time sake.

bigfreak said:
1.) Easy one. What game came with Super Mario Brothers when you bought it with the NES?

DUCK HUNT

bigfreak said:
That's all the questions I can think of. I'm gonna go beat it again for old time sake.

LMAO.......I think you should go play the game instead.

~when you slide through the wall isn't that when you end that board?

~to get the little fireballs you need to catch the little muchrooms that come out of the block wiht the question mark twice.

~ marios clothes change when you beat the game?

LOL Rolex.

My kid is pointing at your avatar and saying: "what is that? Look like bad baby." and then he got a kick out of it when the eyes blinked.

I attached a pic of me "beating it" (super mario brothers that is). The camera flash just kills the picture quality and the lighting is too dark in here. Also can't explain the intermitant white dots my current digital camera produces.

Oh and as far as "beating it" goes. The wife and I played a little game I call "hop on pop" earlier (sneaked in a quicky), but that's probably more info that you wanted to know.

bigfreak said:
I was just playing SMB with my kids. There is something to be said for nostalgia. I played this game last on the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) 17 years ago. I was shocked how much I remember about the silly thing. I was curious if anyone else out there still has the nack for the old SMB game on the NES.

Here are some questions to see how well you remember:

3.) What is warping and one which levels can it be done? 4.) What's the quickest way to beat the game (warping that is)?

5.) What's so special about level 3-1?? Can't quite remember.

1.) Easy one. What game came with Super Mario Brothers when you bought it with the NES? DUCK HUNT

2.) what changed when you beat the game? COLORS?

3.) What is warping and one which levels can it be done? Being able to find a secter area that allows you to choose from either one or 3 different "pipes to send you to higher levels. I believe you can find the first one on level 1-2..the one where you go under.
4.) What's the quickest way to beat the game (warping that is)? No Idea

5.) What's so special about level 3-1?? Can't quite remember.

6.) How do you "Slide Though the Wall" and what does it result in? You have to get a running start and then duck so you slide underneath resulting in getting to hard to get items like a secret block.

7.) How does one go about getting "Little Fireballs"?? You get the Fire flower but you need to be " Big"
I AM OLD

Last edited:
1.) Easy one. What game came with Super Mario Brothers when you bought it with the NES? - none. Just SMB came with my NES. Had one the year they came out.

2.) what changed when you beat the game? - Don't remember actually beating it

3.) What is warping and one which levels can it be done? - brings you to another world bypassing castles. Worlds 1-2, 3, and 5 I think.

5.) What's so special about level 3-1?? 99 1-ups by jumping on the last "turtle" coming down the stairs in the right manner so you continue jumpng on the shell as it bounces, score increases until you get 1-ups

6.) How do you "Slide Though the Wall" and what does it result in? warp level access if i remember correctly

7.) How does one go about getting "Little Fireballs"?? - don't remember this one

Mario Kart Rules All!!!!

DUCK HUNT came with mine, but DarthRacer is right. The first one just had mario.

After you beat the game, you're allowed to play it again. This time around all the mushroom guys are replaced with the black armored armadillo guys.

3.) What is warping and one which levels can it be done?

You guys said it. Warping is when you find a secret area of the game where you find a set of pipes that warp to different levels (8 total). In level 1-2 you can run over the green pipe at the end and find warp pipes to levels 2, 3 and 4. In level 4-2 you can find a secret vine that takes you above ground to 3 more warp pipes that can take you to 6, 7, 8. I also think in 7 you can warp to 8, but I'm not 100% sure.

Quickest way to beat the game: 1-1, 1-2, 3-1, 3-2, 3-3, 3-4, 4-1, 4-2, 8-1, 8-2, 8-3, 8-4 (taking all the proper warps along the way)

5.) What's so special about level 3-1??

Darthracer hit the nail on the head. I've never been able to beat the game without doing this first (you'll notice 3-1 is in the list of quickest way).

On level 1-2 there is a green pipe that normally takes you to the surface and to the end of that level. The three bricks closests to the pipe are the trick. You break the left two bricks and leave the one closest to the pipe. You then scooch to the end of the pipe, jump left and then pull right in mid air, hitting the remaining brick as you go. It takes a long long long as time and I consider this feat the second most difficult trick. After you gotit right, you will SLIDE THROUGH THE WALL. And by that I mean you will slide to the right through the brick wall and into the normal warping room that normally takes you to levels 2, 3, 4. There are no numbers on the pipes though. If you jump around in that room, the numbers will show up and you can warp as normal. If you want to be silly, you can go down the left pipe or the right pipe to enter a level called "-1". -1 is a swimming level and it's a dead end you can't get out. I think if you down the middle pipe, you go to level 2 (but I don't remember).

Little Fireballs is the hardest trick in the game. I think you can do it on any -4 level (1-4, 2-4, 3-4 and so on). I've only ever done it on 3-4. This is how it's done: You need to be big and only big (no fireballs). Next you need to get to the end of the dungeoun where bowser is jumping up and down and throwing hammers. You need to sneak under him or over him without getting it (being small won't do the trick). As soon as you get to the right of him (towards the golden axe), he will start to chase you on the ground. You need to wait un til he's just about to get you. Then you jump and touch the golden axe and you have to time it so that Bowser touches you at the same time. So you touch bowser's head and the axe at the same time. This would normally make you small. Instead you get this "fuzzy" look about you as if you're in the middle of going small. You then talk to the little mushroom chich still in this fuzzy state. When you start the next level, you'll be big. But when you hit the first mushroom block it won't be a flower, but a mushroom. You grab this mushroom (you'r big) and it makes you small. The next mushroom block / fireballs flower block will be a fire flower (you're small now). You grab that fire flower and guess what? You have fireballs and you're small (little). You're wearing the orange and yellow jump suit but you're little. When you hit the fireball button, you'll see a single frame where you're normal size just as the fireball comes out. It kind of looks like your head is swelling or something.

Anyway, those are all the tricks I know. I guess when we were 10 and 11 there just wasn't anything better to do than to try these tricks and crap. I've played t such much that 17 years later it's still programmed into my fingers. I was playing like it was yesterday. I felt like I was 10 years old again except the TV was a couple of times bigger. LOL

I have some PC emulators for the Super Nintendo and Genisis games if anyone wants..PM your e-mail and I'll send em.....I play Super metroid all the time still....
sorry for the derailling....I'll probably be deleted so PM quick....

I'm using a NES emu for the xbox, but you have to have a modded one (no retail discs will ever have emulators on them). I don't think they will delete your message Plaidfish. Emulators are legal if you own the games. I still have my NES and my games, but it needs repair (the carts no longer stay down when you put them in). I only download roms that I owns the carts for. I also use my modded xbox to play backups so my kids don't destroy the DVD discs. That too is legal as long has you have and own the original discs.

EDIT: I trust that you own super metroid and others can PM you if they are also looking for roms for carts they own. ROMs are hard to find and the hardware to make a rom image from a physical cart is complex.

Last edited:
Back