Ordered HPI SAVAGE X 4.6 advice welcome!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krazymatt

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I just ordered me a Savage X 4.6. This will be my first R/C vehicle. What advice can yall give me regarding the purchase of the things I will be needing? I plan on Byron's fuel which I can get locally for 30 bucks for a gallon. As far as the 12AA batteries; are there decent rechargbles?--or stick to normal AA batts? How long do they last? As far as a 7.2 batt and charger for the starter shall I order online or hobby shop, and what type? Thanks!

I have a charger for sale that will do everything you need plus a receiver battery that will last for hours. I have two stick packs as well. They have different connectors but I can solve that easily.
Don't bother using AA batts in the truck. Not enough power period. In the transmitter they will be fine.
Do you have a glow ignitor? Get one if not. The Hot Shot brand are very reliable.
The Dynamite metered ignitors are good as well. Order a couple extra glow plugs. O'Donnell's Sport medium plugs. Run the Byron's Pro blend with 30% Nitro. The engine will run better and last longer.
The charger I have for sale will charge your ignitor, and the receiver pack and the stick packs. it was 80 bucks new alone. I'll sell you it all for 55 shipped. Just throwing that deal out there. I can ship it Friday.
If you want new stuff I understand. You'll need everything I listed for sure. A good failsafe like the one Ofna or Futaba makes is another good safety feature.

Hit us up when it comes time to break the engine in. There's a wealth of knowledge on here that will make your experience a good one. Break-in can be tricky.

Before running it,read over the manual and know what everything is and where. Check ALL screws to make sure they are tight and loctite the engine mount screws and drive shaft grub screws.
Then refer to Matt's advice if you want/need help.

Blue Loc-tite, add to the list.

you should think about replaceing the 4 battarys for the servos to a hpi hump pack battary that u can recharge i have one thats 2 mounths old ill sell to u for 15 bucks u will need a charger

I have a charger for sale that will do everything you need plus a receiver battery that will last for hours. I have two stick packs as well. They have different connectors but I can solve that easily.
Don't bother using AA batts in the truck. Not enough power period. In the transmitter they will be fine.
Do you have a glow ignitor? Get one if not. The Hot Shot brand are very reliable.
The Dynamite metered ignitors are good as well. Order a couple extra glow plugs. O'Donnell's Sport medium plugs. Run the Byron's Pro blend with 30% Nitro. The engine will run better and last longer.
The charger I have for sale will charge your ignitor, and the receiver pack and the stick packs. it was 80 bucks new alone. I'll sell you it all for 55 shipped. Just throwing that deal out there. I can ship it Friday.
If you want new stuff I understand. You'll need everything I listed for sure. A good failsafe like the one Ofna or Futaba makes is another good safety feature.

PM sent......

Thanks for all the info guys! I was noticing on ebay that I can get a beginner RC set which includes some tools, a fuel bottle and a glow plug ignitor with charger for like 20 bucks. Is there any specific brand you would stay away from when it comes to this kit namely the ignitor? Thanks

I just got my first nitro truck too. :) Any more good advice?
DO You folks use rechargeable AA batteries? I did not have very good experience with those in past. They just dye very quickly. Maybe because I use 30 min Energizer charger? Should I use regular 8 HR CHARGER? :\

Rechargeable aa's are fine for transmitter, but a 5 cell hump pack is highly recommended for the receiver. A failsafe is a must have too.

Back