opinions on Storm Sut rtr and hotbodies???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxboy100

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey guys, i have been racin the savage for a while, and I'm noticing that as much money as i am going to pay to make it a racer, i could just buy a racer.
Whats your opinions on the GS Racing Storm Sut rtr and the Hotbodies lightning rtr??

Never seen the SUT run. One of the magazines gave it a pretty good review. Said it was the fastest rtr they had tested. I've been drooling over it for some time.
The guy at my local hobby shop races one. Claims his partner has about $1500 in his associated mgt. Says the sut won't pass him, but he won't make him look bad either.

If you plan on racing, the sut will not come close to the hotbodies truck. At the latest race in Hemet, CA the hotbodies lsp came in 2nd behind a mugen truggy(hotbodies driver was 14 yrs old). The mugen is not out yet and is only being raced by factory racers. Unless you want to invest in a mbx-5 then put the conversion the hotbodies is the truck to beat.

When I first got mine I couldn't believe how low it was, the pan is about 1/4 taller then a ping pong ball. The factory tires are pretty good, but the foams suck. People also say the stock mill sucks, but with a little help from mr. dremmel the thing screams. The radio equip isn't great, but it gets the job done. So from what I've seen and read the only weak point in the truck is that the chassis flexes too much, but push rods from the revo get the thing stiffer then a dead man.

Do a search about the sut, there is a great review about it, although the review doesn't say much for the truck the member was honest.

for all that is good, DO NOT BUY THE RTR!!!! want an sut, buy the pro. trust me i know. all the RTR stuff will fail on ur and the electronics arent even worth ur time (i discarded them b4 i ran the truck). the motor is great, but buy the pro and pick ur radio sys and electronics. again trust me i know. i only run GS stuff....have a storm pro and a SUT pro (well now it is due to many parts accquisitions).

the HB truck isnt a monster, but it gets away w/it. whatcha gonna do? the SUT can handle the HB. marty (korn) and garen (hagobian) told me their workin on some updates for the SUT as well. considerin how long the HB is backordered and the initial teething probs, u have to factor those in. the HB isnt the end all and u'll see more of this. u could really be a PITA in most eyes if u have a .18 revo in the unlim class. ask slayden, he started a big bru ha-ha when the issues of mandatory pit stops came up at the last big race, punishing he and his gas mileage over the quick but thirsty.

choice is urs. the MT class is only gettin muddied up and is goin to be a far cry from what it was. just like electrics 15yrs ago. they'll eventually work their way down to 1/8th 4wd stadiums....just like their 1/10th scale 2wd counterparts. you know where stadiums came from right hehe.

makes me wonder bout ditchin the MT thing, only got 1 b/c i thought bout the 'good ole days' sheesh, didnt take 6mths and a ton of headaches to realize that maybe its not such a good idea.

but again, if u want the SUT, buy the PRO. dont even fool w/the RTR. unless u like to buy ur upgrades 1 at a time when they fail, and which'll cost u far more in the long run. to date, RTR parts that failed for me that when replaced by a pro part-no issue

Shock Towers
steering plate (didnt even try this 1, but so many fail, i went to pro b4 i ran)
radio plate (buckles after a while of cheap stiffeners popping off the chassis)
chassis braces (see above)
chassis (yup chassis, cheap kingpin holders constantly comin loose oblong some holes)
kingpin holders (see above)
kingpins (victims from above)
t/b linkage (junk-replace w/dynamite)
front knuckles (biggest garbage on the truck, bad threads=comes apart alot)
servo saver pipe (non-adj'ble, pro version cost north of 25bux!!!)
radio sys (forget about it)

replace all this stuff and the thing is BEAUTIFUL, like a whole different truck. mine sure rips at the track and its now even better. the 25 mill (i have 3 of them) is a great motor. score 1 on ebay for 1/2 what retailers want brand new. often time w/an exhaust, clutch, and bell too!.

if u get the Pro, give me a buzz, i'll help u with it.

-Ult

Last edited:
Dude, I'm starting to drool a lot less now. :shrug:
Pro comes less the engine and radio? Or just less the radio?

Yeah, neither is a "true" MT. Both are based on buggies,and my be just in the "Unlimited" class,but most club races will allow most anything. The SUT is nice,and yes you need the PRO version.Its cheaper than upgrading the RTR,but you can do this as well. Of the 2 I really like the LSP. At the track they seem to be the one to beat. A driver at a local track has an upgraded MGT and a LSP(pro). He has better lap times with the LSP . I'm not knocking the GS, I like it,and may have one someday since I have a Storm buggy,but the LSP is at the top of the list too. What does your LHS carry parts for?

digger said:
Dude, I'm starting to drool a lot less now. :shrug:
Pro comes less the engine and radio? Or just less the radio?
The Pro version is probably my ideal choice as you can drop in the motor of your choice and your electronics. The Pro has a lot to offer to one that wants durability for bashing IMO. Shop around.

psunitro said:
Yeah, neither is a "true" MT. Both are based on buggies,and my be just in the "Unlimited" class,but most club races will allow most anything. The SUT is nice,and yes you need the PRO version.Its cheaper than upgrading the RTR,but you can do this as well. Of the 2 I really like the LSP. At the track they seem to be the one to beat. A driver at a local track has an upgraded MGT and a LSP(pro). He has better lap times with the LSP . I'm not knocking the GS, I like it,and may have one someday since I have a Storm buggy,but the LSP is at the top of the list too. What does your LHS carry parts for?

What is a LSP and LSP Pro? :shrug:

the truck that will truely start the 1/8 4wd stadium truck class (ie gas MT goin the same way elec MT did 15yrs ago).

-ult

LOL LS and LSP. Yeah,but Ryan the SUT was one of the 1st Truggys.

I would have to say that i am looking more into the gs storm sut rtr tho, my lhs carries it. I need something better than a savage for the racin part.

PLEASE DONT DO IT!!!! i'll sell u my SUT Pro if you promise you wont do it, especially just b/c ur LHS carries it. he/she is prolly wantin to offload it on some1. plz DONT DO IT!!!

-Ult

til they handicap it or when others (whose trucks are under development and in hand of factory drivers) finally do a full blown 1/8th scale 4wd 'stadium' truck and blow it away. ofna has 1 their workin on, GS is workin on the updated SUT (2?), mugen has 1 in its team drivers hands disguised as a JT conversion, etc etc.

all in what u want, i personally like watchin a savage goin around a track.

http://ryan.thewarf.com/RCvids.php click on 'mixxed bag'

-Ult

ok ok,
i was just lookin at the lightning, does hot bodies even have a website, i can't find it?
The lightning is actually nice except the radio and engine have to go?
I couldnt find any specs on the motor?

Stupid question, whats a jump start system??

mxboy100 said:
Stupid question, whats a jump start system?? i was just lookin at the lightning, does hot bodies even have a website, i can't find it?

I like to refer it as bump start....the use of a starter box to kick her over.
As for hot bodies website..... www.hotbodiesonline.net

I too have the Lightning Stadium and love the way it runs. Add the two speed to it and it's just sick.

b4 u go out and try to find 1 left for sale. i'd wait for all the new stadium race trucks to come out. udpates for the SUT (longer chassis and full length arms-waitin for korn to get back to me on if they fit the old truck, they look they will be), the new mugen and RB trucks in addition to new offerings from OFNA are really gonna blow things wide open and swamp the HB. just like electrics 15yrs ago. monsters evolving into stadiums. heck u WILL see truggies (as we now know them) w/small block engines in them competing against the traxxas stuff. i can right now put a .18 in my SUT and run w/them. hmm maybe i will lol. nah.

-Ult