Onyx 235/ 1st charge on 7.2 V batt. Help!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FORDSVTTHUNDER

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I'm charging my 7.2v nimh / 2000 mAh battery for the first time. I'm not sure if what I've got the charger set for is correct and it's currently charging.
Readings on charger:
Current-2.0A
In Volt-12.16 (plugged into wall)
Charge volt-8.81

The charge volt is what I'm concerned about since the battery pack is 7.2 volt. It came with my rtr savage x4.6.

Do the readings look like what they should for this battery pack? It is a 6 cell right? HPI racing plazma 7.2 V NiMh 2000 mAh. I can see the outline of 3 cells per side long ways down the batt so 3+3 is 6 ? I'm a newbie to these chargers and about everything. Thanks

Sounds good to me. That battery is charged. It isn't uncommon for a nimh cell to get up tp 1.4 volts or so. You indeed have a 6 cell nimh pack.

You should not be charging or discharging over 2 amps on a 2000 mah pack. Just remember that for every 1000 mah in power, it's 1 amp of charge/discharge. So a 1400 mah pack would be maxed out at 1.4 amps. Any higher than that the cells can get damaged and their lives will be shortened. Another thing to remember is that you have to use a pack that has a standard tamiya conenctor. The other plugs wont fit inside where the pack plugs into the roto start and I found this the hard way when I bought a venom pack that had a multi plug attachment.

It never got over 2 A. Charged up and worked fine in roto. I just can't get the truck to crank now.