Only 5 tanks old... No acceleration... all suggestions very welcome.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jemichae

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Am a newbie to the nitro world, so any help would be greatly appreciated...

I have a LX Pro.. also known (I think) as a Hong Nor Ultra MBX.

Have run about 6 tanks through it now, and have noticed that over the last 2 I have been getting less and less acceleration.. to the point now, where the thing is revving just great at full throttle, but the car is just tooling around at very slow speed... stopped at this point, cos I just don't think that it is doing the car very good...

Revs are great, but just no transfer to the diffs....

Have pulled the gear apart, and am now looking at my clutch.. but that is about where my knowledge ends. Wouldn't know what I am looking for... but I keep coming back to the fact that I have hardly run the thing in... so I'm doubting shoe wear.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

J.

Check ur clutch shoe springs to see if they are stretched or anything, also check the friction pegs on the spur gear, they could be worn down.

later

Explain to me, this "slipper" of which you speak!

Originally posted by Nitro_Freak
tighten the slipper

Originally posted by cbreaker
Explain to me, this "slipper" of which you speak!
That's definately my question too.

slipper clutch
Just swinging from a branch here but buggies don't have a slipper clutch.

jemichae
With the body removed, does the clutch bell spin faster with higher rpms? If this is the case then it's a problem in your diffs. If this is not the case you've probably burned up a clutch. What kind of buggy are you using?

Also I almost forgot, if the clutch is not spinning it's also possible you have a loose flywheel nut. Was your buggy a kit or an RTR? Either way you still have the possibility of a loose flywheel nut.

Originally posted by Maxx Trooper
Check ur clutch shoe springs to see if they are stretched or anything, also check the friction pegs on the spur gear, they could be worn down.

later
What friction pegs? It's a buggy.

buggy's don't have slipper clutches? wow, i never knew that. how does the clutch mechanism work then? you can pm me instead of cluttering this thread. thanks

Thanks for the suggestions.... will have a look at the clutch.. and am also looking at the drivetrain....

Cheers,

J.

buggy's don't have slipper clutches? wow, i never knew that. how does the clutch mechanism work then? you can pm me instead of cluttering this thread. thanks
You might want to buy a buggy before answering buggy threads in the future.

Originally posted by jemichae
Thanks for the suggestions.... will have a look at the clutch.. and am also looking at the drivetrain....

Cheers,

J.
Let us know how it worked.

Technicly yes, a clutch is a kind of slipper. But in common terminology the clutch is just a clutch and a slipper clutch is a drive train component that prevents shock from reaching the engine (i.e. the spur/slipper/tranny setup on the savage, T/S-Maxx as well as the alot of other R/C's). However buggies do not normally have a "slipper slutch" as in other types of vehicles.

I think what was suggested is to put heavier or lighter clutch springs on the clutch. By tightening I suppose that would mean putting lighter springs on.

Originally posted by El Pirata

That's definately my question too.

Just swinging from a branch here but buggies don't have a slipper clutch.

jemichae
With the body removed, does the clutch bell spin faster with higher rpms? If this is the case then it's a problem in your diffs. If this is not the case you've probably burned up a clutch. What kind of buggy are you using?

Also I almost forgot, if the clutch is not spinning it's also possible you have a loose flywheel nut. Was your buggy a kit or an RTR? Either way you still have the possibility of a loose flywheel nut.

What friction pegs? It's a buggy.

duh thats right. a buggy has a center diff that transfers the power to the other 2 diffs.. and blah... :doh: just ignore the drunk. lol.

later

tighten the slipper

no you just really didn't say that did you?

tighten the slipper

hey I think you missed the t-maxx forum dude...

jemichae - I think el pirata might have got it there with the loose clutch nut. It's the large nut that tightens the flywheel to your engine, it's probably loose.

Either that or your clutch is shot, but I think it's more likely to be that loose nut. If anything looks out of ordinary with the clutch, springs broken or something like that, then that will be your problem so if thats the case, ignore whats below.

To tighten the clutchnut, you need to uncscrew it first, put plenty of threadlock on the threads inside it and also on the crankshaft threads, then tighten it down.

You'll need to lock the piston to tighten it down, the method I generally use is to jam something soft yet strong (rubber, plastic, any polymer but NOT metal) into the exhaust port, and then tighten the nut down tight.

Or you can opt to not be poor like me and get a proper piston locking tool, which is probably a smarter option.

If the problem isn't the clutch or clutch nut tightness, then it's a problem somewhere in the drivetrain. Go through and check every gear, dogbone, yadda yadda and you will find your problem. I doubt it's anything that bad though..

lmao.. tighten the slipper..

also.. since its just break in time on the motor.. it may be fat.. if you do some tuning on the motor.. this may fix the problem as well..

yeah.. you clutch may slip.. but you should still get performance.. and all that.. start to lean the motor some to get it to go faster..

Originally posted by uDi_MP7.5
Or you can opt to not be poor like me and get a proper piston locking tool, which is probably a smarter option.

I've had good success simply holding the flywheel with a pair of vice grips. Pretty easy to get the nut off and back on again. If you're worried about scuffing it, you can use a peice of rubber or something between the grips and the flywheel.

They get kinda scratched anyways, so I don't really care much personally. And it's not like you really do it that often.

or you could hydrolock the motor..

jemichae, did you fix this yet? There were some good suggestions in these posts, however, I did not see anyone tell you to check the set screws that hold yokes. If one of those loosens up, you'll get the same slippage effect.

ahh.. good one chevy.. that is usually the first thing.. shoulda thought of that.. make sure you tighten the set screws that hold in the drive cups onto the rear and front diff..

Back